Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-09-2017, 06:32 PM   #1

A mod I made

Ono another thread I mentioned taking out the "wall" in the 5th wheel basement on my Wildwood (356QBQ). The reason I did was to mod the wall and put in an electrical plug and a TV connection (coax) so that I can put a small TV there and watch it outside.

Why did I do this, seeing as there is supposedly a connection on the side of the camper near the side door? Because that connection has no signal. I tried every way but to get the signal to work there, but nothing would work. Behind the factory connection was an orange wire. I finally figured out that the orange wire comes from the broadcast antenna on top (or its supposed to), yet I can't even get a broadcast signal on the side. Its just a dead wire, and it goes up from there somewhere into the ceiling.

The main TV in the middle of the rig has three wires coming in. An orange one, one from the back of the RV where I hook in campsite cable TV, and one also from the back labeled "satellite" These three wires go into a wall plate with two coax outlets. On the back of the plate is a small electronic board with two inputs and one output, and of course on the front is the small switch to amplify broadcast signals.

Anyway, the satellite wire is just straight through to the top outlet. But the orange wire from the antenna on top and the cable wire from the back of the rig goes to this board, and then one wire out goes to the TV outlet in the upper bedroom.

So what I did was tie into this by carefully drilling into the wall from the basement and then I threaded a pre-made coax cable up and back down to the new basement outlet. I also tied into the main electrical to give me a 120v outlet in the basement.

Just thought I would share what I did in case anyone has a similar setup. I wish I didn't have to do this, but the factory outlet just doesn't work.

Oh, BTW, for anyone who is wondering about getting TV sound out to their ceiling speakers, what you have to do is take the audio out (RCA plugs) from your TV, plug them into the AUX channel on the amp, and THEN you have to turn off the TV audio in your TV menu and turn on AUX audio input capabilities in the setup menu in your TV. This will route TV sound to teh speakers. But I found out that BEFORE you turn off the TV speakers, you have to turn up the volume all the way to give enough signal boost to the amp. Otherwise, you won't have enough signal to drive the speakers.
MOODMAN is offline   Reply With Quote