Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-17-2011, 03:52 PM   #1

A small heater while in winter storage?

I know some people use a small heater or a drop light to heat the interior of their trailers while in winter storage.

Now, I'm relatively new to this but I do understand it's for moisture issues.

I was planning to just leave two vents open on the roof over winter. that way, the interior is always equalized with the exterior in temperature and humidity. I've got max air II vents over the factory roof vents, so snow shouldn't be an issue. Even if it is, it'll only be a wisp and won't melt with the interior cold.

The water system is all plumbing antifreeze. The sinks, the shower the outside shower, all of it. Water tank is drained so no issues there either.

Anyone care to comment on the heater vs open vent?

I can't see closing the trailer up tight and heating the interior being a better way to do it...

2011 Flagstaff Classic Superlight 831RLBSS "Atrium slide"
Husky Centerline Hitch
2016 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCrew, Lariat Sport, Max Tow package
great white is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 04:12 PM   #2

No need to use an electric heater inside the trailer for winter. It is just a waste of money and it will cause damages to your trailer with the condensation. I have never seen anybody leaving a heater inside turned on for winter. Make sure that the snow does not get inside the trailer with your vents opened during winter. For my part I dont leave any vent opened for winter.
capucine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 05:55 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

My trailer stays unheated UNLESS the temperatures get down around 10 or lower. I will run my furnace then at the lowest setting to keep the vinyl floor from shrinking and possible cracking.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 06:47 PM   #4

During the dead of winter, an unheated camper will have the same temperature inside as outside. The differences in temperature caused by a heater will cause condensation. I wouldn't use a heater during our Canadian winter. As mtnguy said, there maybe some concern for the vinyl flooring, but I have never experienced that issue, not saying it won't happen. The use of a heater, IMHO, will cause more damage than good.
2019 FR Vibe 28RL
Rugged Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 09:11 PM   #5

I think I'd rather replace vinyl periodically than worry about a furnace below 10 in SD. I'd think by then the evinyl may need replacing anyways?
fast murray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 10:03 PM   #6
Anacortesians

We have a 1500W oil-filled radiator that we put in the area around the toilet and shower area. I got a digital programmable thermostat that's a plug-in and I have the radiator controlled by the thermostat.

The only negative is that the thermostat has a minimum temp of 45F. I'd really like it to be about 36, to save electrical power. The set-up seems to work fine, though. I have the t/stat on the back of the dinette bench seat and I have a remote temperature sensor that reports to a unit in the house. The set-up seems to keep the RV interior at about 36F when it's a good bit colder outside, and the power drain (measured by a Killi-A -Watt) isn't too crippling.

We rarely get below 25F overnight ambient in Anacortes and daytime highs below 32F are very rare. My set-up might not work for very cold places or for people who have major heartache with large utility bills. It works for us in this environment.
Old 11-17-2011, 11:38 PM   #7

I live on the Texas Gulf Coast so it doesn't freeze often and a hard freeze here is in the 30 to 27F range I just put a little RV anfreeze in bottom of holding tanks and put out a few light in side to be safe.
billy bob is offline   Reply With Quote