Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-18-2017, 09:16 PM   #1

AAA, Good Sam, Coach Net

I've been trying to decide on which coach service plan(s) to keep or enroll in. My RV came with a Coachnet basic subscription and I renewed that for the second year. I have AAA basic for my car. I also have the basic Good Sam plan. I don't need all of these.

I'm looking mainly for basic RV service needs on the road - tire changes, towing, battery - stuff like that. I don't need them to make appointments for me or all the extraneous stuff.

AAA gives lots of other discounts, so does Good Sam.

The plans are all different and have different prices. I called Coachnet twice for their technical help solving a refrigerator problem and a generator problem. Both calls were useless - the technicians had no clue what they were talking about. But, Coachnet for $79 does say unlimited distance towing.

Different AAA and Good Sam plans offer different services.

Thoughts?
Thanks.
Russmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 09:45 PM   #2

None of them are there for Generator, refrigerator, water heater etc issues.

They are just there for roadside assistance, if you brake down flat tire etc.

My understanding AAA does not do RVs, We have good Sam Roadside Assistance and it covers all of our vehicles. We have used it once with no issues.
But I believe that they will only tow to the nearest qualified repair facility.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 11:27 PM   #3

I had good sam roadside assistance for one year, but after the first year it took a leap up. They give the first year cheaper then it goes up quite a bit the second year and there after. I already had AAA for our cars so after talking to AAA we went with them for our RV. AAA will cover RV's if you have their RV coverage. It was cheaper then good sam. Both have about the same kinds of coverage as far as towing and such. I tried to price Coachnet and for what ever reason didn't go with them.
It is best to talk to someone at AAA to get the facts about coverage. My insurance card says RV coverage on the front of it.
Wattsworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 02:05 AM   #4

I have AAA and it cost extra but they cover my RV and motorcycle.
vmfa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 06:06 AM   #5

I have found that what AAA offers varies from state to state. Here in Texas their premium offering does cover RV towing, but in California it fits not (although my texas coverage is good nationwide.) There is a limitation on distance towed. Up to 200 miles on my car, but only 100 Miles on an RV. But I like it because it provides coverage (at no additional cost) on all of my vehicles and even home lockout service. I like the peace of mind that it gives me if my wife were to have a breakdown while out alone.
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 06:33 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by CedarCreekWoody View Post
I have found that what AAA offers varies from state to state. Here in Texas their premium offering does cover RV towing, but in California it fits not (although my texas coverage is good nationwide.) There is a limitation on distance towed. Up to 200 miles on my car, but only 100 Miles on an RV. But I like it because it provides coverage (at no additional cost) on all of my vehicles and even home lockout service. I like the peace of mind that it gives me if my wife were to have a breakdown while out alone.
Good Sam coverage includes your all your other vehicles too. Just saying.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 07:22 AM   #7

Yes Good Sam covers all our vehicles for the same price.

We have had it for about 5 years.

You have to catch their deals. With Good Sam 's deals I initially paid $79 a year for three years. Last time I upped it to 5 years and got it for $89 a year which is good until 2020. I called and talked to one of their sales people. But they offer special deals all the time but mine was running out I should have renewed earlier.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 12:19 PM   #8
WaitnToRide

Coach Net

We've had Coach Net since purchasing the unit and had to use the service twice. Both times they came through with no issues. One time we broke down in a bad place traffic wise so they also called the police who sat with us until the road service came.
Windspell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 12:39 PM   #9

I broke down not long ago in my class C. I have AAA Plus RV. They covered only 100 mi. The nearest dealer for service was 161 miles away. My out of pocket for the 61 miles was $495. Ouch!!!
mtnlvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 12:40 PM   #10

I don't think AAA covers Canada if you plan to go there. I think that is what they told me. Good Sam does. We have Good Sam, but only used them once when I locked the keys in the truck.
Goat Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 01:01 PM   #11

Send a message via MSN to DreamRunners
I have to say Coach-Net, we have used them for tire problems and we were 3 hours from any service in the upper Arizona desert in over 100+ degrees temperature. Now I used them the other day for a jump start on my car. First thing they always ask is are you in a safe area. We have the Premier Plan for towable and it covers so much more, all vehicles we own including the motorcycle and ATV, also all trailers you own. I had AAA before and I cancelled them after dealing with Coach-Net.
DreamRunners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 01:14 PM   #12

I am in the same boat trying to figure out what to keep and what to drop. I have had AAA for over 40 years. I have used many of their services in the past but now only really need roadside help. A month ago I needed a jump start, that's all. I was in my hometown, a plenty big city. It took them over 2 hours to get to me after telling me a fib every time I called. "He's 10 minutes away, hang in there". After 30 minutes same story. Rinse and repeat. I am thinking hard on getting rid of them. I have the Good Sam's RV coverage and that should cover my cars, right? So, watch out for AAA. I think they are going downhill fast.

2013:31 / 2014:51 / 2015:58 / 2016:37 / 2017:46
2018:16
Total 239
Evereddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 02:53 PM   #13
Multi-Slacker

Here, in SoCal, AAA is fast and efficient. When our brakes went out in Yosemite the only response we got was from AAA. So that is what we use. I keep flirting with the idea of adding Good Sam but do not yet need the double coverage. I will have to check out Coach,net.
CurtPutnam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 03:04 PM   #14

AAA, Good Sam, Coach Net

We had AAA RV Plus for 2 years, we had a 5th wheel and never needed the service. We've had our Class A Motorhome for the past 2 years and had an air line issue. AAA could not find a tow company to help us in Central Pennsylvania so, after 4-5 hours of waiting they told us good luck and send them the bill when we found help.
They're really not a good company for RV's, they're mostly an automobiles service company.
We ended up finding a company 20 minutes away that we're spectacular !!!! AAA did pay the bill, but we cancelled them and are with Coach Net.
Coach Net specializes in RV Service.
SandyJ92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 03:23 PM   #15

We have AAA for cars and 5th wheel. Also Progressive is our insurance company for the 5th. When it came to renew our AAA we compared the two. Have AAA now just for car. Progressive for 5th and truck towing.
Dorrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 03:48 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorrie View Post
We have AAA for cars and 5th wheel. Also Progressive is our insurance company for the 5th. When it came to renew our AAA we compared the two. Have AAA now just for car. Progressive for 5th and truck towing.
Wait!? What?! We just went with Progressive for our RV insurance. Is this coverage you have part of the insurance package or is it extra. I keep hearing good things about Progressive.

2013:31 / 2014:51 / 2015:58 / 2016:37 / 2017:46
2018:16
Total 239
Evereddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 04:30 PM   #17

That is what I understand. You might want to give them a call. But if I remember right that is why we dropped the towing for the 5th. Can't remember if it was extra.
Dorrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 05:10 PM   #18

I shop around every year as soon as my policy is coming due. I have AAA and the closest in price was Good Sam and Liberty Mutual. Progressive, Geico, State Farm, Farmers, Ammico and a few others were anywhere from $400 to $700 higher. I made sure they were all quoting the same coverage amounts. I'll probably still shop around when my policy is due but no one has beat AAA for the last 25 years. To keep the lower rate, you need to have AAA roadside assistance also. I have the AAA Plus RV and have only used it for a dead battery and a flat tire, hopefully never need a tow.
Happydaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 05:17 PM   #19

After more than 40 years of AAA coverage, we dropped it for Good Sam roadside assistance. However, all our insurance is with USAA and no other insurance company compares to their rates for cars or RVs.

"Retirement is the best job I ever had!"
2020 Winnebago Navion 24V Sprinter Class C
Sold in 2021: 2016 Rockwood Signature Ultra Lite 8244WS 5th Wheel
Sold in 2014: 2012 Rockwood Mini Lite 2109S
fanrgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 05:48 PM   #20
StlClay

We got let down by AAA on a service call so we went with Good Sams and have used for car twice with good service. However when we used for the trailer they let us down. Finally found a vendor on my own. When I submitted a complaint they never answered which surprised me. As far as the cost, I have found if you drag your feet during renewal time they always negotiate down or extend the period. Since I have the GS extended service plan I will stay with their road service. When you get down to it they all use the same vendors anyway and AAA knows nothing about trailers. I also think they tow farther than AAA

2014 MiniLite with
Nissan Frontier
Stlcaly is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
good sam