Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-05-2020, 06:44 PM   #21

AAA BUT!

So I was all set to add RV protection to my AAA but was unclear how some items worked. First this was over 3 years ago. But it looked to be a good value and I like the fewer headaches approach to life. But I popped in an office and they looked into a bunch of details. The shocker was they said they could not tow a 5th wheel (which is what I have) anywhere at all. They could tow my truck but the fifth wheel would be left wherever it was. So that ended my interest.
ronschmucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 08:35 PM   #22
jammer 16

Changed

I got the same postcard so I changed to Good Sam If you have to have your tow vehicle and in my case my TT both hauled as I had once you better be within a few miles of a destination Both problems I had I was more than 50 miles from a repair destination BTW AAA didn't reduce their fee only the benefits
rlschurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 09:49 PM   #23

Emergency towing services

I've got Good Sam and AAA. I've had AAA for 40+ years, Good Sam for 15. Both good in USA and Canada. Use Good Sam for all my RV calls - they've towed my truck camper on a flatbed in the Yukon, brought me tires for my 5th wheel about 4 times - once over 60 mile trip to the remote campground. Good Sam towing contractors know RVs and have the right kind of trucks and tire jacks usually. AAA has been best for cars. I've had them tow my antique car on a flatbed 200 miles. Plenty of shorter tows, tire changes, and jump starts. I also have an "Emergency Medical Transport" Policy that will fly me and wife home from anywhere in world and would arrange for RV transport if we couldn't drive it home. Just read the policy carefully. And do be ready to give exact details to where your breakdown is - took me about 1/2 hour to get Good Sam dispatcher to understand that the Yukon was a Canadian Provence and that I was on the Alcan Highway, but not in Alaska. But then the truck arrived within an hour and knew right where there was mechanic who could fix my truck.
Old 10-05-2020, 10:14 PM   #24

I’ve got the same policy as the OP but haven’t received anything like this and will probably be pretty PO’d if I did.. I’ve had this policy since they first came out with it - close to 30 years I reckon....
If you have a big class-A, you ought to check with some towing services to see what they’d get to hook up to you. One place told us it was 300 just to get our 40’ DP off the freeway. That was probably close to 20 years ago and I bet it’s gone up....
Point is - $500 isn’t going to last long if you have a big rig...
Thor Vegas 25.5
Randy’s Rod Shop & Fabrication
Big-Foot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 10:39 PM   #25

RV Towing

I have been with AAA for 30+ years with the basic coverage. When I bought our first fifth wheel, I purchased a Good Sam package to cover towing. A few years ago I had to file a claim with my insurance company due to damage on the rv roof. While reviewing the claim, my insurance agent asked why I had purchased the Good Sam package when my rv and auto insurance would cover any of my towing needs. It's a good idea to review your coverage from time to time.
mjmahurin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 10:50 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwkynuf View Post
Received a postcard in the mail today.

I have the RV Premier membership because I get some comfort from the idea of 200 miles of towing and up to two tow vehicles. I don't really get much use out of the other benefits, though I did buy a battery for my car from them last winter.

At any rate, the front says:

Revised RV Roadside Assistance Benefits
Effective 11/1/2020

On the back it says

Up until this, I considered the ~$15/month fee to be cheap insurance to be able to get everything home if I had an unexpected failure with my truck (as long as I was within 200 road-miles). In my past (somewhat limited) experience with tow trucks, I'm not thinking that $500 is going to get me all that far.

So now I have a month to decide whether to drop the RV portion, cancel completely, downgrade to a standard membership (so that my kids don't call *me* when they lock their keys in the car), or ???

Maybe evaluate alternate providers? RVNet? Good Sam? We are not full-timers by a long shot, but we do take the trailer out 8-10 times per year, and usually within that 200 mile radius.

What to do....what to do....
We started with AAA many years ago but switched to Good Sam when AAA increased the price for RVs drastically. We were with Good Sam for 5 or 6 years and did a 5 year renewal. Right after that GS tolled us that the coverage we bought no longer existed for RVs and we need to pay more to have RV coverage. We said the CONTRACT we have specifically states that it covers all vehicles owned or operated by policy holder. It took several go rounds before they sent us the higher cost coverage for the remainder of the time period with not additional charges.

To get real RV coverage that will also cover our other vehicles we joined FMCA. It doesn't cost much to become a member but then gives a lot of benefits including access to the right RV road service for a reasonable price. I suggest at least checking out FMCA for benefits and available discounts. Good way to meet other people, too, since FROG is not everywhere.
Jimvin49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 10:57 PM   #27

We received a similar card in May just before our June renewal here in Virginia. Kept it for now because of the Good Sams horror stories, but will be investigating others this winter
Peaches01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 08:22 AM   #28

Look at USRider and compare rates.
Wmixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 10:48 AM   #29

Been a AAA member for 45 years and use it for my cars but their RV coverage in PA is terrible. I speak from several bad experiences. I have been using Coach Net for several years now and my experience has been extremely good. I had a lockout from a failed entry door and they sent a locksmith from the next county because the local ones were not available. Not only did they rectify my problem but their follow up was amazing.
HillClimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 12:44 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by HillClimber View Post
Been a AAA member for 45 years and use it for my cars but their RV coverage in PA is terrible. I speak from several bad experiences. I have been using Coach Net for several years now and my experience has been extremely good. I had a lockout from a failed entry door and they sent a locksmith from the next county because the local ones were not available. Not only did they rectify my problem but their follow up was amazing.
me to I live in pa I have. Aaa for21 yrs and I broke down twice and they wouldn't tow my toys I had to get my dad to tow them one was 107 miles away and the other was about15.Had to fight with them they rebrus me both times..shouldn't have to to that
BillyBass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 01:46 PM   #31

Ford provides five years free towing with new machines. Not sure about limits. I have over four years to go on my 2019.

After that check your RV insurance. Likely much cheaper and better than AAA...like $15/yr.

But I’m not getting towed home. Rather to the nearest Ford dealer.

F53 Class A with Cherokee toad to use while they fix it.
Old 10-06-2020, 01:48 PM   #32

Good Sam is no longer an option for me...

After having very poor response and service from Good Sam RV Roadside this last Labor Day weekend, I was hoping AAA RV was still what they once were. This is disappointing to hear about AAA downgrading services. I was going to renew with AAA this January, but now I think more research is in order. I will not bother you with the details of Good Sam Roadside Experience, but they blamed the lack of service on a holiday weekend. They are a RV ROADSIDE ASSITANCE COMPANY - When do RVs hit the road??? DUH!!!
underk9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 01:54 PM   #33

Send a message via AIM to B and B
CAA RV Plus in Canada says 200 km limit for 4 tows. If you go to top level its 320 km for 1 and 4 200 km tows
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote