Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-11-2017, 05:44 PM   #1

?? about Camper registration

Hello, I'm Gabe.

My DW and I are in the process of buying a new to us 2016 Roo. We currently live in Texas and the camper we are looking at is at a New Mexico store (Holiday world). The sales person stated that if I pay the sales tax and title the camper in New Mexico, I can save $$ because the tax rate in NW is lower than in TX. He also said that I will be able to renew my tags every year.

My questions are ... Has anyone done this before and not have any trouble from your local Tax authorities?

Any Texas residents from this forum doing this?

I did a Google search but didn't find out an answer that was clear. Any info that someone may know in the subject and they can share will be greatly appreciated. I just don't want to pay Taxes twice and if I'm able to legally save some $$ I don't mind having a NM plate on the camper as long as I don't get in trouble in Texas.

Thanks in advance for the replies.
Camping-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 06:47 PM   #2
Just as confused as you

I think it has to be registered the same as your car or truck. Must be registered in the state of residence. I don't tow mine around and don't need license plates. It is titled in Wisconsin.

Maybe one of the full timers know more about it.
Camping since 1989, Seasonal since 2000.
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 06:53 PM   #3

Does not sound right to me. I think your home state is going to want their tax when you get the plate. And ive never heard of being able to plate something from another state.
Kimber45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 07:03 PM   #4

I would think the insurance would also be involved if tagged in another state. I dunno. I wasn't happy with the taxes either, but I had it figured as part of my expenses. Didn't like it, but assessed and went to the registration office and paid the piper.
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 07:11 PM   #5
Just as confused as you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimber45 View Post
Does not sound right to me. I think your home state is going to want their tax when you get the plate. And ive never heard of being able to plate something from another state.
My home state is Wisconsin. I don't tow my trailer so no need for a plate.
Old 04-11-2017, 07:19 PM   #6

I've heard the same about Maine and Montana, trailers only.
Nascon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 07:42 PM   #7

I know what you are asking is OK for active military but I would surely ask the sales person to show me both NM and TX reference documents for civilians first
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 08:00 PM   #8

You should not have to ever pat taxes twice. Here in the Peoples Republic of Massachusetts, if (and I have) I buy a vehicle out of state and pay let's say 3% sales tax in another state, Massachusetts only charges me the difference, 2%.
Old 04-11-2017, 08:09 PM   #9

I live in IL and purchased in KY. I secured my financing at my credit union after putting them in touch with the dealer. They cut me a check to give the dealer and handed me a temporary tag. All I had to do was accept the TT after inspection and hand over the check. The dealer did nothing for the taxes in KY as it was all paid to IL via my CU.
Wobbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 09:05 PM   #10

I night in SD and you are a resident. No sales tax or income tax like MT, but you do not have to ever go to MT.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 09:40 PM   #11

I would tell them you will pay my taxes to Texas and save yourself some possible headaches just to save a few bucks.
RetiredAF1955-1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 09:54 PM   #12

It is (or was) possible to register and license a MH in Montana or Florida with conditions (such as setting up an address there). You have to contact on of the companies that do that for you and pay them a fee but the sales tax is much cheaper. If you were buying a $200,000 MH you can save a lot. Laws may have changed in the last few years. You can do the same with trailers in Maine.
Old 04-11-2017, 10:50 PM   #13

You might get away with what the dealer suggests if you keep your TT in NM. Your insurance company might call this something like “garaged in NM.” Some insurance companies can handle that.

If you keep the TT in TX, TX may require it be registered there. They may want it registered in TX based merely on your TX residency. TX will want their usual tax and fees if you register in TX, and if they learn you recently purchased the TT, they will be interested in sales tax. Most states will give you credit on sales tax you paid elsewhere, but if what you paid was lower, your state will want at least the difference. The state DMV site should have a lot of the legal information: TxDMV.GOV - Home

Legal or not, it is not uncommon for people in high tax states to register vehicles in low tax states. I met a motorhome driver in Colorado with a Hendry County Florida tag. He said a tag would cost $7,000.00 at home in Phoenix. He simply looked for the cheapest place to register and paid about $35.00. Over 10 years, he would save about $70,000.00, so his approach is understandable. I have heard for decades of NY residents claiming FL residency (“snow birds”) and registering their cars in FL to save thousands of dollars. Your actual state of residence is a matter of state(s) law, and for some purposes you may be a resident of more than one state. Although states may “require” that vehicles be registered in the state of your residence, not everyone follows the rule. If someone want to do it legally, there are schemes out there. See https://www.49dollarmontanaregistere...montana/rv-llc

Although it was suggested by another, I doubt there is any requirement anywhere that a trailer must be registered in the same state as the TV. That would preclude most interstate rentals or borrowing your out-of-state friend’s trailer.
Slow Moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 10:52 PM   #14

Years ago we bought a new TT in Indiana no sales tax charged until we got home & registered it in Florida. why don t you call your DMV and ask them. And as someone else mentioned the Insurance issue if registered out of state.
twoclaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 11:01 PM   #15

Bought ours in AZ and we live in TX. Had to pay the difference in taxes. Start the registration process in TX quickly since you may have to deal with electronic forms issues. Don't remember the exact name of the form stuff but it was a little challenging but nothing to worry about. Check in with your county tag folks and work from there.
DrippingDuo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 11:09 PM   #16
Just as confused as you

If you live in Wisconsin for 6+ months, then that is your state of residence. I think that was the same in Indiana when I lived there 37 years ago.
Old 04-11-2017, 11:11 PM   #17

1. TX requires annual inspections or a new registration will not be provided. Just great while you are on a planned 3 month trip 1000 miles away.

2. For about $700 you can have an LLC in MT and register the RV there. The savings on taxes is great and you never have to be in MT. No inspections like TX either.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 11:17 PM   #18
Enjoying Life

You have to pay all in Texas. You have 30 days from purchase to register and get tags or pay a penalty. If you can prove you were out of state for the whole time before you title they have the option to waive the penalty. You also have to get a state inspection if over 4950 lbs(dry weight) before you can title. If you live in Texas as a resident you must register in Texas.
Many people skip and take a chance but if caught the penalties and fines will be hefty.
TeachTexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 07:56 AM   #19

In 2003, we purchased our first RV in Albuquerque. the dealership titled the rig in NM, using our Colorado address. Total title tax and plates was $275 +/-. Colorado wanted $2700 for the same thing. We hit the road six weeks later, and changed our residence, hence vehicle registration to Texas (Escapees) six months later, again paying peanuts as the rig was no longer "new".
Old 04-12-2017, 08:02 AM   #20
Camp Bartender

When my sister and brother in law moved from PA into Maryland, Maryland hit them with a 6% tax rate to tag the trailer on the book value of the camper, which was a few grand. Maryland is one of the highest taxed states in the union though. Even though they paid PA tax when they bought it, in Maryland, that doesn't matter, so my brother in law actually tagged it in Maine. Perfectly legal, and best of all is they didn't have to pay a double dip sales tax. Apparently that is why, at least on the east coast, you see a huge number of big rig trailers that have Maine tags on them. Pay your yearly fee and keep it tagged legally.

2015-2018: 20 Trips, 61 Nights Camped
2018: 5 Trips, 15 Nights Camped
2019: 2 Trips, 10 nights so far......
stevensmith2859 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camper