Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 02-14-2010, 09:46 AM   #1

About Posting Threads On The Forum...Please

I apologize for this thread, I don't what to create a problem on this Forum. I see that some people are sensitive to suggestion and fell that they are being told what to do. This is not a one or two person Forum nor is it a private domain. This has gotten out of hand and was not expecting to be attacked just trying to be helpful. Again I apologize and may you all enjoy this great Forum.
Old 02-14-2010, 10:14 AM   #2

Well said Rockwood.

Put another way:

A thread is like a room where a conversation is taking place, once that conversation is done, everybody leaves the room. When someone walks in months later and starts talking, nobody cares, they aren't in the room anymore.

I especially get tired of those that offer well meaning help after the solution has already solved the problem, I don't see that so much here but I see it a lot on other groups along with people that don't fully read through the thread and ask questions that could have been answered if they had just read through the thread.

I have for the most part given up responding to questions when they are on old threads.

Please follow Rockwoods advice. If you have a new question, open a new thread, you will get a quicker response and better help that way and won't dilute an old conversation.

Thanks for bringing this to light Rockwood, my attempts in the past have gone nowhere...
Nights camped in 2009: 53 | Nights camped in 2010: 55
www.nwjeepn.com
Old 02-14-2010, 12:29 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Well, y'all wanted input, so I will chime in my $.02 worth here.

I can understand answering a problem to a thread that is several months old or older as not being helpful to the OPer....they might not even be on the forum anymore. But I don't have a problem with someone asking a similar question to the OPer to a certain thread, as we can go through that thread and see what has already been suggested, and maybe come up with a new solution. This seems like it would keep down so many threads on similar subjects, and combine them into a thread where all of the available information is more readily available.

Also, I think a new member might be reluctant to start a new thread, or doesn't know how to do it yet. A important part of this forum is helping newbies. As a newbie, I would be a little intimidated with being fussed at because I asked a question similar to that particular thread instead of starting a new thread. This forum has a much "friendlier" attitude to newbies than that other RV forum, and I would like for it to continue to be known for that.

As far as sorting through all of the threads, I always hit "new posts" when entering the forum, and get the most recent posts regardless of when the thread was started.

I will be happy to go with the majority consensus.

Regardless

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
Old 02-14-2010, 01:28 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnguy View Post
Well, y'all wanted input, so I will chime in my $.02 worth here.

I can understand answering a problem to a thread that is several months old or older as not being helpful to the OPer....they might not even be on the forum anymore. But I don't have a problem with someone asking a similar question to the OPer to a certain thread, as we can go through that thread and see what has already been suggested, and maybe come up with a new solution. This seems like it would keep down so many threads on similar subjects, and combine them into a thread where all of the available information is more readily available.

Also, I think a new member might be reluctant to start a new thread, or doesn't know how to do it yet. A important part of this forum is helping newbies. As a newbie, I would be a little intimidated with being fussed at because I asked a question similar to that particular thread instead of starting a new thread. This forum has a much "friendlier" attitude to newbies than that other RV forum, and I would like for it to continue to be known for that.

As far as sorting through all of the threads, I always hit "new posts" when entering the forum, and get the most recent posts regardless of when the thread was started.

I will be happy to go with the majority consensus.

Regardless
I too always hit the "new posts" when entering the site. I guess I don't understand forum etiquette either. I personally don't see the problem with re opening a conversation if there is new info or someone has another question that is in line with the original.
Old 02-14-2010, 05:06 PM   #5

I have the up most respect for everyone on this Forum regardless how long or short you have been here everyone is great. I remember when I first join the FRF I had replied to a thread that was a year old another member replied and busted me on how old the thread was, this person did not do it by ways of a PM but on and open thread and was not very diplomatic about it, so at that point I back away from the Forum, Three days later another new member did the same thing and this same person did the same thing to them at that time one of the Administrators chimed in and gave this person a left and a right and that was the end of the embarrassment. This was no way showing a Newbie the ropes. I spoke to an Administrator by the way of a PM and that's when I found out what to do with an old thread in order to get fresh Ideas is to start a new one.
Now I will say I have not seen this type of action ever again. I would not want any new member go through this as I have and I truely believe we do not have people like that on this Forum any more and hope not to see any.
Everyones views is important as to how everone thinks that's what makes the world go around. This is not to point any one person out, this is just an observation on how threads are posted and no intent to embarrass any one at any time. This is my goal, to help not hurt. Newbies enjoy the Forum......
Old 02-14-2010, 06:04 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

That is the great thing about this forum.....we can all give our ideas, and come up with a consensus about the best way to approach these things without hard feelings from anybody. Of course, the administrators have the last say, but they always seem to let us take the lead, and then gently guide us if we get out of line.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
Old 02-15-2010, 12:23 AM   #7

my .02

There are many forums that bust your chops for not "searching first" to see if the question was already asked/or answered. hence why folks may open an old thread.

Personally, I dont care if the thread is old or new, asked several times or not.

I post when I feel like i and skip what I don't care to read. pretty easy in my book
Old 02-15-2010, 08:59 AM   #8

Quote:
There are many forums that bust your chops for not "searching first" to see if the question was already asked/or answered. hence why folks may open an old thread.

Personally, I dont care if the thread is old or new, asked several times or not.

I post when I feel like i and skip what I don't care to read. pretty easy in my book
I agree. I personaly do not need anyone telling me what I should do or not do! When I first came on this forum, I found an old post. I read it carefully and did not understand some of the things as they were described. I recieved a prompt answer from a member explaining it in a way that helped me. I was not treated like I had stepped into someones private domain or I had insulted anyone because I had asked for some help.

I also did not realize that this was a forum for one or two people that feel they don't want to be bothered by someone asking a question that someone has already ask. That is not a way to make people welcome.

I have the ability to read what I want and not read anything I am not interested in. I also have not been asked to screen or answer every post.

Regards,
(I have other things in my life.) Dick Chayer
Old 02-15-2010, 03:31 PM   #9

Send a message via Skype™ to BENTE
well see this is good info to have.. so basically you are saying "hey newbies don't be dissapointed when you do not get a response to an old thread because most have already said their peace on that subject.. if it is important that you get a response then start a new thread"

i am kinda like fencer i have been on a couple forums where i was a little apprehensive about asking a question because i did not want to get slapped about "not searching" so i will not hesitate to ask one of my stupid questions. and trust me i will have them

tb

2009 Wildwood 26tbss
Nights Camped in 2010 38
Old 02-16-2010, 06:45 AM   #10

I would like to withdraw this thread......Please read first post...Thank you.
Old 02-16-2010, 06:51 AM   #11

It is fine to resurrect old threads as they can continue to be relevant, particularly technical issues. Also, there are no dumb questions so please, anyone who has one, no matter if the subject has been posted before, please ask them.

Thanks Rockwood for your thoughts on this and for the edit.

I am locking the thread at this point.

Closed Thread