Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-04-2015, 03:58 PM   #1

AC unit and generator

So I am purchasing a Rockwood 8329SS in the next few weeks. I am going to be ordering it so I was thinking. Since I live and camp at 5K altitude and camp at 10K altitude quite often and some times need my 13.5 AC unit to be turned on but often have issues with my Champion 3100 keeping it powered where we live, no problem in the Phoenix AZ area by the way. My thought is why not order it with two 11,000 units, one in the main living area and one in the bed room. I don't need to run them at the same time but my generator had no problem running an 11,000 unit that a friend of mine had at 8000 feet. What are your thoughts.
Airborne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 04:25 PM   #2
Site Team

Never heard of a11k a/c as an option.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 05:08 PM   #3

Here is a link for one.

Coleman Mach I Power Saver RV Roof AC - 11k Btu - White-pplmotorhomes.com
Old 10-04-2015, 05:22 PM   #4

If you always operate the genny at altitudes above 5000 feet, consider having the carburetor re-jetted for high altitude. Fuel consumption and oil dilution will decrease, and you may get a small increase in power.

Disclaimer: The actual value of my "Two Cents" of advice varies just like a bitcoin.
Bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 05:26 PM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborne View Post
what i meant is that it's not a FR option.
you'd have to pay out of pocket for them. i guess you could order it without the regular a/c's and buy them separately and pay the dealer to install them.

IMHO, it would be way cheaper just to get a paralleled pair of inverter generators.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 05:31 PM   #6

I live at 4000 feet and we often camp above 6000 feet. My champion 3100I has no problem running our 13.5 ac unit.
Airlift remote compressor system
Ultragauge EM Plus OBDII monitor
BendOrLarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 05:43 PM   #7

I have considered this as well and tried two Honda's paralleled in Alamosa CO 7600 ft. on a 90 degree day and the two ran fine for about five minutes and then they kicked off. I was using a 13.5 K unit. As soon as I put any load on it besides the AC unit such as the water pump, or the TV the units kicked off so I thought rather than always fighting with the generator a smaller AC unit might work. Just looking for a work around so that I can use the AC at altitude when needed. I think I can have the new TT ordered prepped for AC in the main cabin and in the bed room have them installed. It may cost a bit more but at lease I could be cool always knowing the generator will work no matter which way I go with it such as keeping my current unit or paralleling in the future. Its frustrating because I work out of the TT and when its hot and you have equipment that should work but does not gets irritating. I don't want to have to lug around a 150 lb unit that I know can push the power so I thought this idea may have merit.
Old 10-04-2015, 05:47 PM   #8

BendOLarry, I here this often and have even put in the high altitude jets in the unit but it just does not seem to have the staying power. Not sure what to do. Maybe its my old TT, maybe it had a draw that I did not know to account for besides the AC unit. Maybe I go to the dealer with my generator and fire up a new Rockwood same model as mine if they let me. Not sure if they will.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendOrLarry View Post
I live at 4000 feet and we often camp above 6000 feet. My champion 3100I has no problem running our 13.5 ac unit.
Old 10-04-2015, 06:34 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborne View Post
BendOLarry, I here this often and have even put in the high altitude jets in the unit but it just does not seem to have the staying power. Not sure what to do. Maybe its my old TT, maybe it had a draw that I did not know to account for besides the AC unit. Maybe I go to the dealer with my generator and fire up a new Rockwood same model as mine if they let me. Not sure if they will.
If you hear that the 3100I handles the load with no problem often then it's not your generator. I would take some load readings and see what's really going on before spending $2K or more, on generators. The only time our 3100I had puked when the ac was running was when my wife turned on the microwave at the same time.
Airlift remote compressor system
Ultragauge EM Plus OBDII monitor
BendOrLarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 01:37 PM   #10

why don't you try a portable air conditioner unit like this

LG Electronics 10,000 BTU Portable Air Conditioner and Dehumidifier Function with Remote Control in White (62.4 Pint./Day)-LP1014WNR - The Home Depot

The unit sits on the floor but you have a 6 inch tube venting hot air out a window.
For $400 it is worth a try I would think...

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 02:06 PM   #11

Its funny you mention this as I was in Home Depot last night and saw an 8000 BTU unit on sale for 300 and it says it cools 300 square feet. My unit is around 300 square feet. Not sure I would like the looks of this but it is something to consider.

Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsdata View Post
why don't you try a portable air conditioner unit like this

LG Electronics 10,000 BTU Portable Air Conditioner and Dehumidifier Function with Remote Control in White (62.4 Pint./Day)-LP1014WNR - The Home Depot

The unit sits on the floor but you have a 6 inch tube venting hot air out a window.
For $400 it is worth a try I would think...
Old 10-05-2015, 02:30 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluepill View Post
If you always operate the genny at altitudes above 5000 feet, consider having the carburetor re-jetted for high altitude. Fuel consumption and oil dilution will decrease, and you may get a small increase in power.

I'm stuck thinking that when a 13500 ac is running on 3100 gen, and the water pump pops the system, SOMETHING ELSE IS WRONG. Water pump is 12volt and that small load should not put enough load back through to notably affect a/C load. Or if your converter is an issue, put solar on the roof and disconnect the converter, at least during the heat of the day. Check your batteries, check the converter and service that gen. What you are describing should not happen if your systems are all working correctly.
Tom48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 04:47 PM   #13

Maybe you need to get your Champion generator serviced with new carb parts...

I looked up the manual online and quote...
NOTE the warning on the last picture!!!

Quote:
Operation at High Altitude
The density of air at high altitude is lower than at sea
level. Engine power is reduced as the air mass and airfuel
ratio decrease. Engine power and generator output
will be reduced approximately 3½% for every 1000
feet of elevation above sea level. This is a natural trend
and cannot be changed by adjusting the engine. At high
altitudes increased exhaust emissions can also result
due to the increased enrichment of the air fuel ratio.
Other high altitude issues can include hard starting,
increased fuel consumption and spark plug fouling.
To alleviate high altitude issues other than the natural
power loss, Champion Power Equipment can provide a
high altitude carburetor main jet. The alternative main
jet and installation instructions can be obtained by
contacting Customer Support. Installation instructions
are also available in the Technical Bulletin area of the
Champion Power Equipment internet site.
The part number and recommended minimum altitude
for the application of the high altitude carburetor main
jet is listed in the table below.
In order to select the correct high altitude main jet
it is necessary to identify the carburetor model. For
this purpose, a code is stamped on the side of the
carburetor. Select the correct main jet part number
corresponding to the carburetor code found on your
particular carburetor.
Operation using the alternative main jet at elevations
lower than the recommended minimum altitude can
damage the engine. For operation at lower elevations, the
standard main jet must be used. Operating the engine
with the wrong engine configuration at a given altitude
may increase its emissions and decrease fuel efficiency
and performance.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	champ.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	40.8 KB
ID:	90754  
Attached Images

2014 Shamrock 183
Old 10-05-2015, 04:52 PM   #14

Thanks for your response. I did get the new carb jet and it is installed but still have the issue.

Quote:
Maybe you need to get your Champion generator serviced with new carb parts...

I looked up the manual online and quote...
NOTE the warning on the last picture!!!
Old 10-05-2015, 06:39 PM   #15

maybe you can borrow or rent an inverter generator somewhere near your high elevations and take it camping for a week or so... by getting it near the mountains hopefully it is setup for high altitude operation and test out your 13.5K BTU stock AC units... OR go for the $300 HD deal and try something with lower amperage pulling from your current Champion... from the chart it looks like you lose 30% of your power at 10K elevation so you are down to may 1800-1900 watts continuous power... that is only 15 amps @ 1800 watts

2014 Shamrock 183
Old 10-05-2015, 07:35 PM   #16

The Champion that I do have is an inverter generator. I know it runs a 11K unit at 8,000 feet so I keep coming back to the thought of rather than two 13.5k's why not go with two 11K units wired separately so I can use one at a time on the generator or if hooked to electric I can use both. I have not seen this set up but it seems plausible and nice and neat. It may not keep the TT down at 68 degrees but I am one sure it would keep it round the 75 mark which would work for me. The altitude always becomes an issue as well as the heat of the day as I understand it the hotter the day the less power from the Generator, not 100% sure on this but I remember learning something like this while in the Army.

Quote:
maybe you can borrow or rent an inverter generator somewhere near your high elevations and take it camping for a week or so... by getting it near the mountains hopefully it is setup for high altitude operation and test out your 13.5K BTU stock AC units... OR go for the $300 HD deal and try something with lower amperage pulling from your current Champion... from the chart it looks like you lose 30% of your power at 10K elevation so you are down to may 1800-1900 watts continuous power... that is only 15 amps @ 1800 watts
Old 10-05-2015, 07:53 PM   #17

I think the HD room unit would work for $319 when you have to run with a gen... (rated at 9.8 amps + startup current) with your current Champion, AND get the two stock 13.5 units when you are at an electrical site... with no problem

the room unit can move close to you at either end of the trailer as long as you can vent outside somewhere close... you could probably install a dryer vent setup in the side of the TT somewhere in the middle and cover both ends with the unit

total cost is $319

my two cents worth...

good luck and happy camping whatever your decision

2014 Shamrock 183
Old 10-05-2015, 08:11 PM   #18

Send a message via AIM to B and B
Stop the carb madness and just buy Fuel Injected Powerhouse 4kw. No need to rejet just works!
2015 Heartland Bighorn 5th Wheel
2013 FR Rockwood 8289WS 5th Wheel
2012 FR Rockwood 2703 SS Travel Trailer
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 10:53 PM   #19

B and B, I will look at this. I just need to make sure I can lift it and load it myself, I have a bad back and can lift 80/90 pounds with out much issue but the units weighing in at over 100 lbs worry me as my wife is not much help and I don't have one to help load it.
Old 10-05-2015, 11:23 PM   #20

Send a message via AIM to B and B
Airborne, I cut the feet off and took the supplied wheels off. It fits under my toneau cover now and stay there for the trip. It is a heavy unit, thinking engine hoist to lift it in. For now I can manhandle it.
2015 Heartland Bighorn 5th Wheel
2013 FR Rockwood 8289WS 5th Wheel
2012 FR Rockwood 2703 SS Travel Trailer
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator