Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-01-2018, 08:00 PM   #1

Accident I75

Anyone on I75 north around exit 52 in Tennessee on Oct 30 around 11:22 am may have seen us. Was pulling my fifthwheel, cruise on 62mph, DW and I just enjoying the drive. Then all of a sudden this loud boom and truck lunged forward, first thought the fifthwheel broke loose. Looked in side mirror, trailer still there but seen some bits of plastic flying, sure I blew a tire. Same time my wife yelled, their going in the ditch, looked out her side just in time to see car headed toward ditch. Immediately pulled over, DW calling 911. Three people in car, one was pregnant. Guy driving said he had been driving along time, he fell asleep and ran into back me. I had a carrier with my generator and toolbox. Completely gone off back of bumper, lying luckily on side of road. I had a heavy duty steel bumper installed to hold carrier, it was bowed in the middle. Not sure how fast he was going, the impact did knock some cabinets open and broke a few things. Not sure if impact could affect integrity of hitch or not. Troopers helped put stuff in back of truck and lifted up generator. We decided to head back home to florida to get things checked. Important thing was no one was hurt bad enough to get carted off by ambulance. I imagine though they felt it the next day, I know DW and I did, still a little pain in the neck.
shoe2728 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 08:23 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoe2728 View Post
Anyone on I75 north around exit 52 in Tennessee on Oct 30 around 11:22 am may have seen us. Was pulling my fifthwheel, cruise on 62mph, DW and I just enjoying the drive. Then all of a sudden this loud boom and truck lunged forward, first thought the fifthwheel broke loose. Looked in side mirror, trailer still there but seen some bits of plastic flying, sure I blew a tire. Same time my wife yelled, their going in the ditch, looked out her side just in time to see car headed toward ditch. Immediately pulled over, DW calling 911. Three people in car, one was pregnant. Guy driving said he had been driving along time, he fell asleep and ran into back me. I had a carrier with my generator and toolbox. Completely gone off back of bumper, lying luckily on side of road. I had a heavy duty steel bumper installed to hold carrier, it was bowed in the middle. Not sure how fast he was going, the impact did knock some cabinets open and broke a few things. Not sure if impact could affect integrity of hitch or not. Troopers helped put stuff in back of truck and lifted up generator. We decided to head back home to florida to get things checked. Important thing was no one was hurt bad enough to get carted off by ambulance. I imagine though they felt it the next day, I know DW and I did, still a little pain in the neck.
Glad y'all are OK. Was the other family hurt badly? You said October 30. Was this last year or did you mean September 30? Were your hitch and kingpin ok?
elchilero53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 08:34 PM   #3

Guess I'm still foggy, it was Sept 30, 2018. Havent had time to check hitch just pulled it home slowly. Insurance adjuster is suppose to come by. Going to let him know I want hitch checked out and axle alignment checked. It was a pretty hard hit. The other people rode back in the tow truck, so guess they were ok
Old 10-01-2018, 08:55 PM   #4

Y'all might should check with your doctor and a chiropractor asap. You may have other unnoticed injuries that might could come back to haunt you later and be quite painful.
Old 10-01-2018, 09:02 PM   #5

Wow! That's 20 or so miles North of us. I am.glad you are ok. That is a very scary and very real issue being on the road these days.
Old 10-01-2018, 09:14 PM   #6

Yep, already called. What I didn't know is because the accident was in Tn, it goes by their insurance laws, the other driver was not from Tn either. Here in FL we have PIP, and when I asked insurance company about using our PIP, they said I didn't have it on this claim, I argued that I do have PIP, I starting to get a little upset with her. She then explained to me that Tn doesn't have PIP like FL. So
It isn't basically honored, but everything would be covered by other parties Bodily Injury Coverage. We both have the same INS CO. She assured me they had sufficient coverage, however was not allowed to tell me anything other than that. I did apologize to her for getting kind of huffy.
Old 10-01-2018, 09:18 PM   #7

I did have a dash cam and when I replay it you can here the boom and the camera just shakes and you can hear my DW yelling, there's a car going in the ditch, call 911.
Old 10-01-2018, 09:34 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck1032 View Post
Wow! That's 20 or so miles North of us. I am.glad you are ok. That is a very scary and very real issue being on the road these days.

One reason I avoid interstates unless absolutely necessary. Too many people drive way too fast and aren't alert. I see a lot of rear-end collisions on the interstates here in Texas mostly due to aggressive driving or texting and driving (now illegal here). I drive no faster than 65 mph and 63 mph is a sweet spot speed and gas mileage wise.
Old 10-02-2018, 05:29 AM   #9

Glad everyone is reasonably all right.

The biggest screwing I ever got was from getting hit by someone with the same insurance as me. Insurance gave me a lowballed check and that was it, case closed.

I would also look at another insurance company, what is on your policy is what you should be covered for, I have never heard of your coverage being dependent on what state the accident was in. Sounds like one of those new gimmicks to keep from paying out.

2014 Grey Wolf 21RR
jd50i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 06:09 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd50i View Post

The biggest screwing I ever got was from getting hit by someone with the same insurance as me. Insurance gave me a lowballed check and that was it, case closed.

I would also look at another insurance company, what is on your policy is what you should be covered for, I have never heard of your coverage being dependent on what state the accident was in. Sounds like one of those new gimmicks to keep from paying out.
You better hope you don't have a wreck in "Florida or Michigan "they have "No Fault "! Wait till you have to deal with that! Youroo! !
Old 10-02-2018, 06:54 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
You better hope you don't have a wreck in "Florida or Michigan "they have "No Fault "! Wait till you have to deal with that! Youroo! !
Yep, I have family in south Fla. so I've heard.

2014 Grey Wolf 21RR
Old 10-02-2018, 06:55 AM   #12
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
No fault is just about everywhere now.
JohnD10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 07:13 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by elchilero53 View Post
One reason I avoid interstates unless absolutely necessary. Too many people drive way too fast and aren't alert. I see a lot of rear-end collisions on the interstates here in Texas mostly due to aggressive driving or texting and driving (now illegal here). I drive no faster than 65 mph and 63 mph is a sweet spot speed and gas mileage wise.
I got passed this morning on my way to work by a car doing at least 60 in a 45 zone and get this.........the car was running on 3 donut tires and one regular tire. Yeah....that's gotta be really safe.
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 07:20 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd50i View Post

I looked at PIP and it is not covered in all the states. I think states that have PIP it’s the only kind of coverage you can have, it’s not a option. I wish all states had no fault insurance but I don’t know how that would work with people that have no insurance. It’s a shame but I have to pay for people that have no insurance or are under insured.
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 08:21 AM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by spock123 View Post
I looked at PIP and it is not covered in all the states. I think states that have PIP it’s the only kind of coverage you can have, it’s not a option. I wish all states had no fault insurance but I don’t know how that would work with people that have no insurance. It’s a shame but I have to pay for people that have no insurance or are under insured.
With No Fault, your insurance pays for yours, their insurance pays for theirs. If they don't have insurance, yours still gets fixed, theirs doesn't. It actually works out better for you, provided you have sufficient coverage for your needs, as you don't have to worry about whether or not the other party is insured, or whether or not they have sufficient insurance.

Then, once the insurance companies have paid out, the two companies will duke it out over who's at 'fault' and the 'not at fault' insurance company will recoup the costs of your repairs from the 'at fault' company. If the 'at fault' driver didn't have insurance, then your insurance company will try to recoup what they can directly from them. I've built computer systems for some of our clients for exactly this process. If the other party doesn't have insurance, it can get pretty nasty for them.
Old 10-02-2018, 10:25 AM   #16

There is a lot of young people on the road these days with only the bare minimum insurance plus a lot of illegal people who only have a plate. These people have nothing so it’s impossible to get blood from a turnip. If your insurance isn’t high enough then you have a problem. My under insurance/ no insurance is $250,000/$500,000. I plan on bumping it up some when I renew my policy. I feel like I need $500,000/$1,000,000. I wonder what others have. Does Medicare pay for automobile accidents
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 11:43 AM   #17

Ask your insurance agent about a million dollar umbrella policy, fairly cheap protection.

2014 Grey Wolf 21RR
Old 10-02-2018, 04:49 PM   #18

DW got hit about 4 years ago and Medicare covered her after our PIP ran out. She had a settlement from insurance and Medicare wanted reimbursed, lawyer negotiated with them and they got pennies on the dollar so not so bad.
Old 10-05-2018, 03:47 PM   #19

Beware of the CarFax!

I had my trailer rear-ended in a similar fashion. No damage to TV. However I STRONGLY recommend you keep an eye on the CarFax for the TV. My police report said "vehicle 1 struck vehicle 2" with no mention at all of the trailer in between.

This oversight cost me $1,500 when I went to trade in the TV and was astonished to find an accident reported on my pristine, undamaged vehicle.

CarFax obtains the police reports through public record. They do not get accident reporting from the insurance companies.
adarklake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 05:04 PM   #20

adarklake
Thats pretty interesting about the carfax, guess I will have to check it. Wonder how long it takes for it to show up. Probably have to pay for the carfax. Have lawyer look it up and if its there maybe I can get diminished value. Dont plan on getting rid of truck anytime soon though. Thanks for heads up

Tags
accident