Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-11-2021, 02:13 PM   #1

Accidentally sucked antifreeze into hot water heater

2021 Wolf Pup 16BHS here.

So, I'm pretty sure I accidentally sucked a few gallons of antifreeze into the hot water heater while winterizing it.

You can probably imagine how this happened. I had drained all water out of the trailer first, including blowing it out with an air compressor so that every possible opening just hissed air.

Then, I redirected the water supply to a jug of antifreeze, but forgot to bypass the hot water heater. I turned on the water pump and gallon after gallon of anti-freeze just disappeared. By the third gallon I began to suspect something was up. I opened the low point hot water valve, went to the water heater, opened the pressure valve, and sure enough gallons of antifreeze dumped out.

Whoops. So, then I properly bypassed the water heater and completed the winterization.

Although I have lingering questions.

Do I need to worry about the water heater? It probably has a few quarts of antifreeze in it. Do I need to worry about the anode rod?

I assume the worst thing that happened here is that I may have wasted a few gallons of antifreeze and maybe gave myself a bit more work to do on dewinterizing to make sure the hot water heater is flushed out.
wolfie666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2021, 02:16 PM   #2
Site Team

You should be OK. You can remove the anode rod and it will drain most of the antifreeze. You can then rinse the water heater with a hose.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2021, 02:18 PM   #3
llr

I don't know of any issues except wasting antifreeze and if drink anything from the hot water side some extra flushing to remove the taste.
TV 2024 F350 DRW Lariat Ultimate
Prior TV 2017 F150 6.5' bed 3.5 Eco-boost Max tow 1800lbs payload - sold 4/24
llr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2021, 02:22 PM   #4
WFD

You aren't the first to have this happen and won't be the last...I would pull the anode and drain whatever is in the tank. CAmco sells an attachment that you can attach to your hose. It has a long flexible spout on it that you can insert into the tank where the anode rod fits, and give it a rinse. I do this every fall when I drain the tank, and am always surprised at the amount of white deposit that comes out of the tank. This attachment can be bought at Walmart for about $10, or likely on Amazon.
This way you at least wont have antifreeze sitting in the tank all winter, and should make your flushing in the spring a bit easier.
Old 10-11-2021, 02:28 PM   #5
WFD

Meant to insert the link to the hot water tank rinser..
https://www.amazon.ca/Camco-11691-Wa...s%2C271&sr=8-1

Thats Amazon Canada, definitely cheaper on Amazon.com and likely cheaper at Walmart
Old 10-11-2021, 02:40 PM   #6
D W

Were you not going to drain and rinse the water heater? I always do the water heater first along with putting it in by-pass mode.
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2021, 02:59 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfie666 View Post

So, I'm pretty sure I accidentally sucked a few gallons of antifreeze into the hot water heater while winterizing it.

You can probably imagine how this happened. I had drained all water out of the trailer first, including blowing it out with an air compressor so that every possible opening just hissed air.

Then, I redirected the water supply to a jug of antifreeze, but forgot to bypass the hot water heater. I turned on the water pump and gallon after gallon of anti-freeze just disappeared. By the third gallon I began to suspect something was up. I opened the low point hot water valve, went to the water heater, opened the pressure valve, and sure enough gallons of antifreeze dumped out.

Whoops. So, then I properly bypassed the water heater and completed the winterization.

Do I need to worry about the water heater? It probably has a few quarts of antifreeze in it. Do I need to worry about the anode rod?

I assume the worst thing that happened here is that I may have wasted a few gallons of antifreeze and maybe gave myself a bit more work to do on dewinterizing to make sure the hot water heater is flushed out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flybob View Post
You should be OK. You can remove the anode rod and it will drain most of the antifreeze. You can then rinse the water heater with a hose.

You answered your own question, seconded by Flybob & thirded by me
Drain, flush thoroughly let dry out and forget about it.
rracer5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2021, 03:04 PM   #8
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by D W View Post
Were you not going to drain and rinse the water heater? I always do the water heater first along with putting it in by-pass mode.
X2

The water heater is my first order of business.
Bypass, drain, (by opening the T&P) flush/rinse, (using the tool referenced above) inspect and replace or reinstall the anode. The water heater is all buttoned up and ready for use next spring by simply opening the bypass valves once the antifreeze is flushed from the system. Some folks recommend leaving the plug /anode out or installing a plastic plug but I never seen the need and that's just one more thing to have to remember to do in the spring.

Then on to the low point drains, purging plumbing with air (including water filter, if you haven't totally removed it, outside shower and city water connection) and charging the plumbing with antifreeze. And because I have a garden hose connection/shut-off on my low point drains, I connect a short hose between the low point and the black tank flush and run a small amount of antifreeze through it too for good measure when charging the plumbing system.

Then a bit in the sink/shower traps and a bit in the toilet to keep the seal from drying out.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2021, 03:06 PM   #9

For most of us (if I may be so bold), blowing out all the lines and draining the water heater and low-point drains (my preferred method) negates the need to suck antifreeze into the lines. Sounds like overkill to me.

Oh...and I pour some antifreeze into the sink and shower drains and into the commode. Hasn't failed yet.
PodGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2021, 03:08 PM   #10
Trailer Park Supervisor

Antifreeze will ruin anode. Either flush it out or buy new anode for next year.
NJKris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2021, 03:10 PM   #11
Trailer Park Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by PodGeek View Post
For most of us (if I may be so bold), blowing out all the lines and draining the water heater and low-point drains (my preferred method) negates the need to suck antifreeze into the lines. Sounds like overkill to me.

Oh...and I pour some antifreeze into the sink and shower drains and into the commode. Hasn't failed yet.
+1 for this method. 3 harsh winters and all is ok.
Old 10-11-2021, 03:51 PM   #12
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by PodGeek View Post

Until you've spent some time on R/V forums or personally witnessed those who have blown out only to find something broken in the spring, like a faucet valve or toilet valve where a drop of water has run back down and froze and busted.

It's a personal preference Do whatever you want. I've not seen/read where anyone that charges with antifreeze has had a busted anything from doing so. Can't say the same about just blowing out.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2021, 04:12 PM   #13

Quote:

I would imagine you can flush it out. Remove relief valve, open drain plug or remove anode rod and run water thru it. ��
Johnny Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2021, 04:35 PM   #14

In any case you should drain and flush the water heater annually to remove the scale that forms inside.
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2021, 05:45 PM   #15

Always cracks me up

People calling it a "hot water heater." Why not label it a hot water closet? Or better yet, "water heater."
Richy R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2021, 05:57 PM   #16

Quote:

I always leave a bit of antifreeze in my hwh. Remove anode rod and put it back in and rinse out when you next use the TT
Old 10-12-2021, 06:02 AM   #17

pretty simple - flush it out in the spring
Old 10-12-2021, 09:10 AM   #18
Trailer Park Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richy R View Post
People calling it a "hot water heater." Why not label it a hot water closet? Or better yet, "water heater."
I have caught myself saying hot water heater. But since it's been mentioned before, I feel stupid and correct myself. Be like walking up to the ol' 'cold water cooler' at work for a drink!
Old 10-12-2021, 09:17 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJKris View Post
I have caught myself saying hot water heater. But since it's been mentioned before, I feel stupid and correct myself. Be like walking up to the ol' 'cold water cooler' at work for a drink!

Actually I believe it should be called a cold water heater as it heats cold water does it not? I mean if you think about it why would you want to heat hot water anyways?

Old 10-12-2021, 09:32 AM   #20

Flush it out good or you will have some nasty hot water
jjcook is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
accident, antifreeze, heater, hot water, water, water heater