Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-23-2016, 05:47 PM   #1

Ace Adventure Resort WV Review

We Spent 4 days in the mountains of West Virginia at Ace Adventure Resort with our friends this past weekend (thursday-sunday)

We hauled our 31ft Freedom express from Sussex County Delaware to Minden WV. (About 9 hours) and this is what I determined on our trip there.

I will never take my camper back there. Not for anything to negative just the following reasons.

The resort was nice had brand new construction in the bar area, the pools and the trip check in area. It was very nicely done. We had a great time on the New River Gorge without raft guide Ben. Really good rapids and views the whole way down the lower gully. The food at the restaurant was really good and the beer was cheap. Everything was really well organized and time efficient getting everyone geared up and out to the river. The pond on location was really nice and had a lot of stuff to do for children and adults alike.

Now my personal negatives.

The town of Minden is very small. To enter town you have to get off HWY 19 to Rat 17 which is sort of a tight left hand turn right into a steep hill down. Once in town it’s very narrow and not enough room for a car to pass majority of the time. They have done some road improvements outside of town close to Ace Adventure to make the road wider with crush and run. But over all pretty narrow on the turns and steep inclines.
Once at Ace we checked in at the front desk and the pointed up the hill to where our camp ground is and it’s a real steep hill with I would guess an 8-9 percent grade for a few hundred yards into a sharp right and turn into another 8-9 percent grade. Once you concur that you have to make a 90 degree turn while still on the uphill to turn into the camp site. They say you can go down the road a little and turn to pull through the site. But all the hook ups are on the wrong side. So it’s easier to just pull straight in.

I was worried about going back down the steep incline on the way out. The best method I could think of and confirmed with the two 5ers that showed up later was just to back straight up the remainder of the hill and then head down. Hoping no one would come up the hill while you’re heading down. I just put it in drive and coasted down. It was a little stressful for me so next time we are going to rent a cabin.

Attached are a few pictures from the weekend. I unfortunately did not get any pictures of the hill
2017 Nights Camped 75 and counting
2018 Nights Camped 40 and counting[/b]
USMC 2005-2015 OIF OEF
raforan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 02:59 PM   #2

Looks like a nice site with plenty of room.
Brewhedd is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
vent