Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-20-2015, 11:27 AM   #1

Adding A Slideout Awning DYI or No?

I was wondering who has installed a slideout awning, and how difficult it is to do so? Is it a DYI? Will it effect the warranty?

I have a 2015 Apex 288BHS that didn't come with a Slideout awning. After just a few trips in it last fall, I'm thinking i want to go ahead and put one on. Climbing up there to brush it off each time is kinda a pain, not to mention, i'm certain i'll forget to do it when a branch is laying on it and really bungle things up.

I'm fairly handy but not a construction whiz by any means. Most things i do i end up thinking "much easier than i thought it would be." However, I don't want to purchase one and bite off more than i can chew.
Old 02-20-2015, 11:35 AM   #2

You can easily do it DIY and let me tell you from what I have CONSTANTLY and CONSISTENTLY seen with dealer installs you will be way better off doing it yourself! You need the help of a second pair of hands, but everything else is straight-forward. You can download the instruction manuals from the popular topper makers for installs too. There are a couple toppers that are just poorly designed units you should steer clear of, but Carefree Kover III or the Ascent are nice units and easy installs. No worry about your warranty if you follow the instructions. It boils down to installing one hanger channel and two brackets.
geotex1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 11:40 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by geotex1 View Post
You can easily do it DIY and let me tell you from what I have CONSTANTLY and CONSISTENTLY seen with dealer installs you will be way better off doing it yourself! You need the help of a second pair of hands, but everything else is straight-forward. You can download the instruction manuals from the popular topper makers for installs too. There are a couple toppers that are just poorly designed units you should steer clear of, but Carefree Kover III or the Ascent are nice units and easy installs. No worry about your warranty if you follow the instructions. It boils down to installing one hanger channel and two brackets.
If you have a rolling scaffold you will be done in a couple of hours. Still need 2 people but a lot easier. I wouldn't own a TT without them. GREAT investment...

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 11:45 AM   #4

x2 on the scaffold. When we replaced the material on a MH several years ago rented the scaffolding made the job 100% easier. There was one slide that we could not use the scaffolding and had to use step ladders and it was a PITA.
caper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 11:50 AM   #5

Scaffold is a great idea! I have a Little Giant ladder that I split into two A-frames and slide a plank through.

The thing you absolutely want to do, and where the dealer service guys get it wrong, is to install the awning hanger channel perfectly parallel to the top of your slide-out and not following a body line! This will give you a topper with equal tension across the fabric so you don't have bellying when open and wrinkles when rolled.
Old 02-20-2015, 11:52 AM   #6
(Dry Huunday)

Quote:
Scaffold is a great idea! I have a Little Giant ladder that I split into two A-frames and slide a plank through.

They thing you absolutely want to do, and where the dealer service guys get it wrong, is to install the awning hanger channel perfectly parallel to the top of your slide-out and not following a body line! This will give you a topper with equal tension across the fabric so you don't have bellying when open and wrinkles when rolled.
Good Tip!

Beau & Sue
FurKid Express
2015 Coachmen Catalina 303RLS
2016 Chevy Silverado LT 2500HD Duramax
The more people I meet, the more I like my dogs!
DreiHunde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 01:07 PM   #7

Interested in trying it ourselves but what about drilling holes in the wall? Do you have to hit studs? Do you need to use special screws or waterproof them in some ways?
CLewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 02:09 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLewis View Post
Interested in trying it ourselves but what about drilling holes in the wall? Do you have to hit studs? Do you need to use special screws or waterproof them in some ways?
If you have never seen the track before, it has screw holes approximately at 4" centers. You will use the provided self-tapping screws in every one of those holes and you will hit framing along the way. Even if you do not, the purpose of so many screws is load spreading. It won't go anywhere when you are done because you also apply butyl tape to the back of the track which will provide some stick to the wall but will be your sealant for the screws. I always run a bead of caulk along the top of the track as well.
Old 02-20-2015, 02:26 PM   #9

Adding A Slideout Awning DYI or No?

Edit: first question answered before I hit "send."

I also have a drip edge above my slide. Not sure what I'd do with that.

2015 Coachmen Apex 288BHS
2014 Toyota Tundra 5.7L CrewMax

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Old 02-20-2015, 02:41 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by KDHfan View Post
I also have a drip edge above my slide. Not sure what I'd do with that.
Picture worth a thousand words! If above the needed line for the topper, you'd just leave it in place without worry. If it's where the topper track needs to be, out with the old and in with the new after sealing/reusing as many holes as possible (the extrusions in the industry use pretty consistent fastener spacing). If needed, you can order your topper with a longer track to make sure it's a full replacement to cover where the drip was removed.
Old 02-20-2015, 02:48 PM   #11
Ret E-9 Anchor-clanker

Good "you tube" videos on this. X2 on needing to people.
donanddona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 02:54 PM   #12

Yep, YouTube has several videos on new installs and replacement fabric install. Very straight forward. Two people are a must, platform of some type is way better.
Master Blaster of the Navy
BigTJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 04:08 PM   #13

Thanks I will look at the utube videos. You are a lot of help. It's much appreciated.
CLewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 08:42 PM   #14

I checked out youtube... Found only one that was installation... And it didn't show the critical part of attaching the base unit along the wall. I'll have to swing by the camper in the morning for a pic... Assuming I can get through the snow.

Old 02-20-2015, 10:16 PM   #15
Ret E-9 Anchor-clanker

I agree the biggest percentage of posted videos don't cover the complete install/replacement. Not sure what video you watch but here's quite a few.

https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...awning+install+

This is another one from RVtravel.com

Hope this helps!
donanddona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 10:34 PM   #16
Anacortesians

When we bought our Georgetown (used), it had slide toppers. It turned out that the topper over the living room/dining room slide had been damaged by solar radiation. The rig had been parked for almost a year, with the slide deployed, when that side of the rig faced south. Despite what a lot of folks would think. sun can be a problem in Washington!

We had our topper replaced by a local RV repair shop. It was reasonably priced and sure beat the hell out of a 70-year-old trying to DIY.
Old 02-21-2015, 11:19 AM   #17

A couple pictures of my drip edge.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1424535545.413895.jpg
Views:	263
Size:	254.0 KB
ID:	69996

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1424535568.104615.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	243.7 KB
ID:	69997

2014 Tundra 5.7 CrewMax
Old 02-21-2015, 06:55 PM   #18

KDHfan, if I had storage for my camper like that...

OK, so that's a fabricated drip edge meaning not a standard industry extrusion. It was made on an aluminum break with coil stock. In order to fit a topper, it would need to be removed. If there aren't too many fasteners, I would pull it off and fill the fastener holes with silicone and low expansion rivets to seal it. If there are a lot of fasteners, I would actually shear off the formed channel by fatiguing it along the bend fit against the wall. It'll break cleanly off. I'd then put the topper channel right above it and make it look like it was meant to be there.
Old 02-21-2015, 07:18 PM   #19

Quote:
KDHfan, if I had storage for my camper like that...

Ha... Just a mile from my house... And only $40/month.

Thanks for the input. Gives me something to think about for sure. Only a few weeks till spring.

Old 02-21-2015, 07:43 PM   #20

Quote:
Ha... Just a mile from my house... And only $40/month.
ENVIOUS!

Quote:
Thanks for the input. Gives me something to think about for sure. Only a few weeks till spring.
You bet! Cannot come fast enough... Just shoveled 6" of snow.

Tags
awning, slide, slide out