Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-01-2019, 04:11 PM   #21

Be Prepared

We live in the New Orleans area. Before the RV, one of our "Hurricane Plan" items was the name of a motel or two in north Mississippi or Memphis that accepted pets. Now, well, we just gas up and go - an advantage of pouring bucks into our RV!

And fences? We were not hit by the floods of Katrina but the fence on all three sides of the yard were blown around.
dav7158 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 07:56 PM   #22

My wife and I live 35 miles inland from the Gulf of Mexico in Southwest Louisiana. In 2005 when Hurricane Rita hit us, our home survived with very little damage, but the electricity was off for over three weeks. Can you imagine trying to sleep without air conditioning in the heat & humidity. We have since purchase a 5th wheel travel trailer which has two 15K AC units that can be powered by two Honda inverter generators mounted on the rear bumper. No more staying in a motel with two little dogs and having to eat all meals out.
Walholler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 03:57 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by shopinful View Post
So, we have our 31 ft Sunseeker behind a 6 ft fence in New Smyrna Beach which is south of Daytona in Florida. We are about 2 blocks from the beach. It is in a residential neighborhood. Of course no one knows where the storm will go but right now they are predicting we could get Tropical Winds. We also have a home inland by Orlando but there are trees galore in Winter Park. When we take it to Winter Park we park in driveway which is sandwiched between two homes. Should we leave it or move it for those more experienced than we are?
UPDATE: THANKS EVERYONE. My husband drove the RV to our home in Winter Park. He completely agreed with all of your advice and said why chance it. If I were home to be with him, we would probably be headed even further west but I am in Memphis waiting on a grandson to be born any day! Say some prayers for all in harms way in Florida. Thanks for all your help and wisdom.
Old 09-02-2019, 04:12 AM   #24

Thanks for your advice!
Old 09-02-2019, 04:38 AM   #25

When all calms down, we should meet for dinner!
Old 09-09-2019, 10:34 PM   #26

Okay, I'll say it. Just grab a sharpy and change the hurricane's track to take a hard left turn then up to Alabama. If it were me I'd just take a short vacation on the Gulf coast.
danking49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 10:49 AM   #27

Location for Hurricane

I am in Jensen Beach, when it looked like we were ground zero, I was going to take the 5th wheel and go to Homestead, Fl. That's about 160 miles South Thank goodness it turned North
Pontoon Don is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cat, location