Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-24-2017, 12:06 PM   #1

Air in the water system

I can't get rid of the air in the system. I have purged system with city hookup and the air comes out. But when I start using the pump, the air returns, filling my filter housing with air. I have checked all the fittings and found no leaks.
Henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 12:09 PM   #2

Do you have a winterizing port? Possible it could be slightly open enough to allow air into the system running the pump. Just thought I'd ask.
Old 07-24-2017, 12:10 PM   #3
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by A32Deuce View Post
Do you have a winterizing port? Possible it could be slightly open enough to allow air into the system running the pump. Just thought I'd ask.
X2, sounds like you are pulling air in thru the antifreeze suction port.

This will usually be near your pump, and is where you connect the hose to pull antifeeze out of the bottle, and into your cold water line...similar to this:

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 06:44 PM   #4

I have a similar problem but only with the hot water. I have not been able to figure it out
Old 07-25-2017, 06:52 PM   #5

Are you sure you have sufficient water in your fresh tank. My lights say I have water but when we get low it will suck up a huge amount of air.
MtBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 07:34 PM   #6

I replaced the filter and that seems to of helped or my just my imagination. The filter hosing doesn't fill with air now anyway. I have a cross over valve foe the antifreeze connection, I suppose that could be leaking as well. Thanks for thw help[.
Old 07-25-2017, 07:52 PM   #7
Site Team

Did you check the winterizing ( antifreeze) port valve as suggested. This is different than the WH valves. Check the small filter on the water pump there have been cases where they were cross threaded and did not seal.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 10:00 PM   #8

I have 2 valves (1 anti freeze and 1 WH Bypass) and I replaced the screen filter and housing.
Old 07-26-2017, 12:59 PM   #9

Just had the same issue. Not sure which fixed it but I checked and tightened all connections on the suction is of the water pump. One pex swivel nut was loose. Also I noticed that the head of the pump was moving while operating- the screws on the head had loosed which could allow air to be admitted to the pump. A very small inlet leak can admit a lot of air.
palmetto rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 01:59 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry View Post
I can't get rid of the air in the system. I have purged system with city hookup and the air comes out. But when I start using the pump, the air returns, filling my filter housing with air. I have checked all the fittings and found no leaks.
I would suggest that the pump has lost its prime. If you have a winterizing valve, it could be in the wrong position. The pump is for the on-board water. The city water supply circumvents the pump.

Probably a dumb question, but do you have water in the FW tank?
PenJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 03:03 PM   #11

Check your filter body for cracks. Same thing happened to me and I found a hair line crack in the filter body. Replaced it and the problem was solved.
Larry Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 03:23 PM   #12

in my case the pump was loosing its prime due to the air being admitted. I was thinking maybe a mouse had gnawed through the fresh water tank pipe. I actually used the winterizing setup to trouble shoot. I took a jug of water and pumped it out using the winterizing valving and still had the air. This ruled out fresh tank plumbing. After tightening fittings and pump the air stopped when drawing through the winterizing system. Switch backed to fresh tank piping and no air leak.
palmetto rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 07:26 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrett717 View Post
I have a similar problem but only with the hot water. I have not been able to figure it out

Once your W/H is full there should no longer be air in your hot water lines,,, it takes a few minutes to get the W/H to fill !!! I open the hot faucet on the outdoor shower,,, where I have removed the shower head,,, while I am filling the W/H !!! That way if there is any crud in the W/H hopefully it will flush out thru the shower hose !!! Of coarse I make sure FW tank is full first !!!
Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water