Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-20-2020, 07:08 AM   #1

All right, heading out to Myrtle Beach Friday

Camping at Ocean Lakes in MB leaving from the Columbus, Ohio area.
Plan on stopping in Winston Salem at a local campground to break up the trip.
Tires on camper look good added a little grease to the axles.'
I would like some ideas for a safer trip and things to lookout for as this is a first in a long time far away destination?

Thanks.
Lukegsdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2020, 07:37 AM   #2

Safe travels, send pics
Chris Pastuzyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2020, 07:59 AM   #3
Kanadian Kamper

One of the biggest tips they advised when starting to drive school buses was.....

Stay well back from traffic. Well back. It allows you to get the “big picture”, gives you a bigger cushion to react if necessary, even allows you to occasionally enjoy the view when you’re not tailgating.

You may be driving, but it doesn’t mean you shouldn’t enjoy the trip a bit. After all......you’re vacationing.

The alternative is watching your own dash cam footage of all the sights you missed along the way.

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2020, 09:29 AM   #4

Post info on your trip. We're heading to Carolina Pines near Myrtle Beach next month. It will be about a 9 hour drive for us, that will be our longest trip as well. I am going to map out everywhere that we can stop with our rig so that I know my options. We're traveling with 3 little ones, so, I have to anticipate stopping for potty breaks and bottles for the twins.

Other than that, I am going to take some additional tools beyond what I would normally take when we're within 3 hours of the house just in case. We're leaving really early in the morning, so, I am hoping the kiddos will sleep half way there.

I have also set up my generator on a rear cargo rack to run while traveling so that we can run an AC and be able to stop and eat lunch in the fiver as we go. Did a trial run this weekend about 3 hours and it worked pretty well. We'll do that for this trip since it allows us to get the 4 year old in the camper for the bathroom and keep the kiddos out of public places as much as possible. Only have to make fuel stops and interact with people.
Orlando bull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2020, 12:10 PM   #5

Just one suggestion: Eat at The Sea Captain's House.

The world is a great book, of which those who never stir from home
read only a page. - St. Augustine
mjones12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2020, 12:31 PM   #6
Retired Army MSG!

Live in SC and we have been at Myrtle Beach State Park since Friday. Weather has been great. We have not ate out so far this trip but we have several more days here so I am sure we will find out some.

Safe travels and I will try and hold on to good weather for you.
lazyjj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2020, 12:52 PM   #7
ARLO

There is a burger joint in Murrell's inlet that we used to go to a few years ago that served some great burgers. It looks like s biker bar and we liked it.
rlocicero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2020, 01:19 PM   #8

Tire Pressure Monitor.
U.S.ArmyVeteran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2020, 03:22 PM   #9

Just a quick mention...

Had a friend and family in Myrtle Beach last week cut their vacation short due to harassment by protestors and a shooting in the hotel next door. She said the protestors make it impossible to do anything on the street. Keep an eye out and mind your surroundings...stay safe!

Sgt E
SGT E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2020, 03:23 PM   #10

rlocicerp was it the Sundowner in Murrell's Inlet?
WilliamG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2020, 05:30 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazyjj View Post
Live in SC and we have been at Myrtle Beach State Park since Friday. Weather has been great. We have not ate out so far this trip but we have several more days here so I am sure we will find out some.

Safe travels and I will try and hold on to good weather for you.
We just got home today about 4:30. We got there Wed. Did you sleep thru the torrential 3 hour lightning/thunder downpour that destroyed awnings and shade tents? Hardly great weather. Water is still standing everywhere today there and at Huntington Beach State Park. It was good after that. Low last night was 78 with 90% humidity.
Old 06-22-2020, 07:18 PM   #12

Have fun at Ocean Lakes. We go there often. If you're new to the area, a couple of seafood restaurants you should check out are Lee's Inlet Kitchen in Murrell's Inlet and Sarah J's in Garden City, both just a short drive south on Business 17 (Kings Hwy.).
Old 06-22-2020, 08:57 PM   #13

Don’t forget your face masks!! Covid-19 is on a rapid up swing.
Villagerjjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 06:11 AM   #14
MCTroy

Tips for traveling, download some apps on your phone now. I use the Pilot app since we like to fuel up at those and flying J. I also like "iexit" app. It shows what is ahead on the upcoming exits. A good RV Garmin is great for GPS as it can be set for your rig. Relax and enjoy your trip. If something unexpected happens remember it is just part of the adventure!
MCTroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 06:56 AM   #15

Enjoy your trip! Bring lots of sunscreen and others have mentioned, be mindful of social distancing. Covid counts in SC (Myrtle) are soaring.
Old 06-23-2020, 08:32 AM   #16

Another thing I did yesterday was fly on google maps and add favorite places for pretty much everywhere I can stop with my rig. Those spots will be on my phone so that when someone says "I have to go potty", I'll have the closest location on my google maps app.

If you have android/chrome, everything syncs up from the computer to the phone. I just put in my route, and satellite view and checked all of the highway exits between here and there for truck stops and rest areas. Only took me maybe 20 minutes and I can avoid a special GPS for now.
Orlando bull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 09:03 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenandterry View Post
One of the biggest tips they advised when starting to drive school buses was.....

Stay well back from traffic. Well back. It allows you to get the “big picture”, gives you a bigger cushion to react if necessary, even allows you to occasionally enjoy the view when you’re not tailgating.

You may be driving, but it doesn’t mean you shouldn’t enjoy the trip a bit. After all......you’re vacationing.

The alternative is watching your own dash cam footage of all the sights you missed along the way.

Sound advice.
2016 Ram Longhorn 3500 CCLB DRW Cummins HO 4:10s
2018 Heartland Big Country 3950FB
Dan50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 03:39 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlando bull View Post
Post info on your trip. We're heading to Carolina Pines near Myrtle Beach next month. It will be about a 9 hour drive for us, that will be our longest trip as well. I am going to map out everywhere that we can stop with our rig so that I know my options. We're traveling with 3 little ones, so, I have to anticipate stopping for potty breaks and bottles for the twins.

Other than that, I am going to take some additional tools beyond what I would normally take when we're within 3 hours of the house just in case. We're leaving really early in the morning, so, I am hoping the kiddos will sleep half way there.

I have also set up my generator on a rear cargo rack to run while traveling so that we can run an AC and be able to stop and eat lunch in the fiver as we go. Did a trial run this weekend about 3 hours and it worked pretty well. We'll do that for this trip since it allows us to get the 4 year old in the camper for the bathroom and keep the kiddos out of public places as much as possible. Only have to make fuel stops and interact with people.
Carolina Pine is awesome!
Moosey1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 07:17 PM   #19

We have our masks and plan on staying on the beach close.to the Campground.
Left 10 am Friday and a nice.drive thru WV, V and in to NC.
Staying Friday night just south of Winston Salem
NC at Oak Hollow CG.
Nice place.for the night, sitting on a lake and enjoying the views.
Teenagers on their devices.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200626_200306.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	540.4 KB
ID:	232519   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200626_200217.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	639.3 KB
ID:	232520   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200626_200205.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	438.9 KB
ID:	232521   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200626_200059.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	567.0 KB
ID:	232522  
Lukegsdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 07:31 PM   #20

Great pics, Thanks for sharing, Keep Safe.
Chris Pastuzyn is offline   Reply With Quote