Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-10-2010, 01:26 AM   #1
CampeRooo

Allstays apps for Android and I-phone/pad

Hey everyone,

First, a reference website for those without the android and iphone or ipad devices: Campgrounds and RV Parks: Boondocking to Resorts

For those with one of these devices, interesting news....I was scanning through the marketplace on my android phone tonight and ran across the allstays "RV dumps" application. I got even more curious as to what else would be out there, so I did a search for just "allstays" and it came up with the "Camp and RV", "Walmart Overnight Parking", and "PlayPlaces" applications too.

So, if you have one of these technical tools and want to carry this app around with you for when you need it and don't have wifi to connect to...here ya go. Just visit your android marketplace or apple appstore and search away. You never know when it would come in handy and for the introductory price of .99 cents an app, use it once and it's paid for itself. (Correction, 99 cents for rv dumps, 3.99 for camp and rv and 1.99 for walmart overnight parking...the playplaces is free.)

Enjoy.

Joe

P.S. I do not represent or promote this website, I am only listing this information as a reference.

2000 Rockwood Roo M-18 Hybrid
2006 Dodge Ram 2500 Auto 5.9 Diesel
Gone but not forgotten -1986 Rockwood 1003 PUP
rthrbelsewhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 07:40 PM   #2
CampeRooo

Update: After installing and playing around with the app on my android phone (samsung moment), I found that the initial release of the programs are a little bit buggy, nothing too bad, just a little slow integrating with Google maps (a common problem from what i've seen with other applications). However, the manual look up feature will certainly be nice to reference when I'm on the road. Another thing I liked in both applications is the reference to some of the larger truck stops like the Flying J, TA, Petro, Pilot, and Loves. When the wife and I take a longer road trip, I'm always concerned about what quality of diesel am I going to run into along the way to my destination. So I always print out multiple pages of these truck stops along my route so I don't wind up being forced to fuel up at the "rusty bucket" kind of places.

While I was playing around with the app, I found that there were a few errors at some places that we frequently visit, so I sent some feedback (update link in the app) about where the location actually was and the address correction. Then I noticed a couple of newer places that were not listed in the application yet and I couldn't find a place to send those off to, so I emailed the link on their website and gave them a suggestion about adding a link the app to report these items. To my surprise, I received an email back the next morning from the developer who's actually writing the applications and he liked my suggestion and was going to start working on it.

So, if anyone decides to install one of these apps on their phone, don't be disappointed that it's not 100% fully functional yet. From what Adam said, it (Android version) was a silent release to start some testing in the "real world" and go from there. If something goes haywire on the phone, a quick uninstall will cure that, no big deal. As for the Iphone/Pad version, it sounds like that one was working fairly well since the OS and hardware are pretty consistent. Adam also stated that there will be an Intel netbook version coming out soon too for those who carry those around.

I'll keep updating as things get better and better, so stay tuned if anyone is interested. I'm a bit of a techie and enjoy this kind of stuff, so hopefully I don't bore everyone to death with this.

Joe

Old 10-11-2010, 07:45 PM   #3

Thanks for this info. As I will be upgrading my wifes phone to an Android after the 1st of the year and will look into this.
Nights camped in 2009: 53 | Nights camped in 2010: 55
www.nwjeepn.com
NWJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 01:04 PM   #4
CampeRooo

Another cool app that I found is called "GasBuddy". It tells you the prices of fuel around the area that you're in at the time. However, just like the Allstays apps, they rely on users feedback to be effective. My home town didn't have anything for the area when I first signed on, but since then I, along with many others, have started to report fuel prices and now we have almost the entire town covered.