Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-29-2020, 10:03 AM   #1
Insert witty title here

Always makes me nervous

Our first hard freeze of the year is coming tonight and every year I run through my winterization checklist and hope I didn't forget anything.

Did I winterize the plumbing properly?

Did I empty the water heater?

Did I remove drinks, canned goods and anything else from the cabinets that can freeze?

Did I do a good enough job making it mouse resistant? (No such thing as mouse proof)

etc etc

2021 Transcend Xplor 247BH
Husky WDH with Sway Control
2021 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LT 6.6L V8 Duramax
Forever in my memory. Forever in my heart.
Laurie J. Wood 3/22/67 - 8/23/19
timfromma is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 03:07 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by timfromma View Post
Our first hard freeze of the year is coming tonight and every year I run through my winterization checklist and hope I didn't forget anything.

Did I winterize the plumbing properly?

Did I empty the water heater?

Did I remove drinks, canned goods and anything else from the cabinets that can freeze?

Did I do a good enough job making it mouse resistant? (No such thing as mouse proof)

etc etc
I went through those anxieties for years until the process just became imprinted in my brain. I'm fortunate enough to have my TT at home on it's own pad with a 30 amp power post. When done dealing with the water issues and other "freezables" I set two small electric heaters set on medium heat level and the thermostat set to "Anti-Freeze". This keeps the inside of my TT right around 40 degrees +/- which also helps with condensation.

As for the mice? My neighbor has two cats that visit my yard and handle "Mouse Control". Nice part is that they take their "prizes" back home and leave them on HIS doorstep.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 03:24 PM   #3
Just as confused as you

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
I went through those anxieties for years until the process just became imprinted in my brain. I'm fortunate enough to have my TT at home on it's own pad with a 30 amp power post. When done dealing with the water issues and other "freezables" I set two small electric heaters set on medium heat level and the thermostat set to "Anti-Freeze". This keeps the inside of my TT right around 40 degrees +/- which also helps with condensation.

As for the mice? My neighbor has two cats that visit my yard and handle "Mouse Control". Nice part is that they take their "prizes" back home and leave them on HIS doorstep.
Is that what makes the antifreeze "Anti-Freeze"? Never seen a thermostat with an "Anti-Freeze" setting, though I guess it would be possible.
Camping since 1989, Seasonal since 2000.
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 06:02 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper View Post
Is that what makes the antifreeze "Anti-Freeze"? Never seen a thermostat with an "Anti-Freeze" setting, though I guess it would be possible.
The "antifreeze" was a marking on a heater I picked up years ago. Any setting that would keep the inside of the trailer above freezing I guess could be marked like that. It's right at the bottom of the thermostat dial.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 04:30 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
The "antifreeze" was a marking on a heater I picked up years ago. Any setting that would keep the inside of the trailer above freezing I guess could be marked like that. It's right at the bottom of the thermostat dial.

We have one marked similarly. I never used it at that setting, but otherwise, a small electric heater in our RV is very handy early spring and fall.
amblt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2020, 04:50 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by timfromma View Post
I understand those feelings - for both the A-frame and the lawn sprinkler system.

In Colorado, we'll often several nice weekends in the middle of winter - 50+ days, 30s or maybe high 20s at night. Good enough for some good camping on very short notice. And Spring and Fall can be really nice - or we can have hard freezes and snow in May and September.

Almost all campgrounds shut off water except at a heated building late Sept to late May. I avoid winterizing so I can take advantage of these camping opportunities. The A-frame stores in the outside stall of an attached 3 car garage. And on the nights that go well below 0 I used to wonder if I'm in trouble.

Don't worry about it nearly as much anymore because when I drive a snow-covered vehicle in, it is pretty much snow-free surrounded by puddles the next morning. And I have yet to have a problem with plumbing freezing in the A-frame.

I have had below-ground sprinkler pipes split when I didn't get them blown out well enough. I've learned to avoid the thin plastic pipe, and to thoroughly bury sprinkler lines (at least 6"). I usually have to replace a sprinkler head or 2, though usually for impact (tripped over, hit by lawn mower wheels, etc) as much as ice damage (seals don't seal in the Spring). Have developed better techniques for blowing out sprinklers when I had to replumb the feed and breaker valve this year.

Fred W
2019 Flagstaff T21TBHW A-frame
2008 Hyundai Entourage minivan
camping Colorado and adjacent states one weekend at a time
pgandw is offline   Reply With Quote