Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-08-2017, 03:56 PM   #1

America the Beautiful

Happy to report that today we just purchased our America the Beautiful pass today for $10!

This is for National Parks and Federal Recreational Land Use for those who do not know. The pass has many other benefits also.

The Park ranger told us that the price will be going up to $80, so ~ if you're 62 or older, go get yours before the increase. This is for a Lifetime pass!!

Also, if you're 100% disabled, go get your pass for FREE. Make sure to take your documentation from the Doctor or Letter from the VA with you as proof (you will need it).

On the way home, we stopped by 2 different camp grounds in the White Mountain National Forest. The 1st ~ the cost is $22 a day without the pass. The 2nd was $24 a day without the pass. With the pass, the cost is cut in half and max. stay is 14 days.
Granted, it's boon docking but you can run a generator during specific times (twice a day), both had public toilets, water available and a campground host on site.

Other passes include Active Duty Military members, Volunteer Pas and children in the 4th grade. I hope the link works for anyone who might be interested:

https://store.usgs.gov/pass
extxn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 04:10 PM   #2

I’ve had my America the Beautiful Senior Pass for 11 years now and with free entry into national parks and half price camping (mostly full hookups) I’ve saved a ton of money. Even when the lifetime pass goes up to $80 it will still be an outstanding bargain.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 04:14 PM   #3

Mine is taped together. It's coming apart. Have no idea if it's possible to get a replacement.

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 04:19 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandJCarm View Post
Mine is taped together. It's coming apart. Have no idea if it's possible to get a replacement.
Just buy a new one and start using it. That's what I did when my first one disintegrated.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 04:19 PM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
On the way home from Goshen last year, we stopped at a COE park in MO. When I handed over my busted plasticware card, the lady host asked "Do you want a new card?" Me: "Yes, of course." New card 💳 now in my possession.

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Mr. Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 04:29 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Dan View Post
On the way home from Goshen last year, we stopped at a COE park in MO. When I handed over my busted plasticware card, the lady host asked "Do you want a new card?" Me: "Yes, of course." New card 💳 now in my possession.
Mr. Dan.........I've been to about a bazillion COE parks (it's where I fish around here), and none of them have ever carried this card!! We had to go to a "Federal Facility".........(I never have understood what is not federal about the COE......but whatever).

I got mine at Ft. Pulaski, GA.........while hauling my son's house stuff on a borrowed trailer when he moved. He knew I needed one, we went by there and he said "Whip in there and get that card you want". I did.

I'm too cheap to spend the extra $10 and get them to mail it to me! LOL (but I guess I could. Truth is, scotch tape is holding it for now)

FROG AR-0019-242
Old 06-08-2017, 04:35 PM   #7

And I stand corrected. Here's a list, and there's TONS of COE parks in Arkansas on this list.

https://www.recreation.gov/brands/re...e_List1931.pdf

Danged Federal folks........they lied to me! LOL (seems there's a lot of that going around)

FROG AR-0019-242
Old 06-08-2017, 04:39 PM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
Mr. Dan.........I've been to about a bazillion COE parks (it's where I fish around here), and none of them have ever carried this card!! We had to go to a "Federal Facility".........(I never have understood what is not federal about the COE......but whatever).

I got mine at Ft. Pulaski, GA.........while hauling my son's house stuff on a borrowed trailer when he moved. He knew I needed one, we went by there and he said "Whip in there and get that card you want". I did.

I'm too cheap to spend the extra $10 and get them to mail it to me! LOL (but I guess I could. Truth is, scotch tape is holding it for now)
At this moment, I'm in the Hickory Creek COE Park on Lewisville Lake in north Texas. They have NEVER sold the pass... but yesterday a new sign popped up at the gate house for the passes ----- $10! The Hagerman Wildlife Refuge on Lake Texona started selling them a couple of years ago.

Check here: https://store.usgs.gov/sites/default...suanceList.pdf

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Mr. Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 04:41 PM   #9

I really appreciate knowing this! This must be new.

Every lake here is flooded. When it goes down some, I MIGHT go fishing.

I hate it that Toad Suck Park is not listed as an available source. I could run out there tomorrow if it was!! It's close by.

WORSE...........I was just at Grand Canyon AND Death Valley, and replacing my card never occurred to me. Lines were long, etc......but geez.

I hate being old.

FROG AR-0019-242
Old 06-08-2017, 04:41 PM   #10

Quote:
this same topic was just discussed recently in another thread(link below, see post #52 & 63), .... yes you can get a new one/another one, ... I just bought a spare, will put it up for safe keeping against having to buy an $80 one when my first one gets lost or falls apart, ... that link also includes info about where to buy in each state in posts 52 & 63, ...

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...-134905-7.html

fella10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 05:02 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by fella10 View Post
this same topic was just discussed recently in another thread(link below, see post #52 & 63), .... yes you can get a new one/another one, ... I just bought a spare, will put it up for safe keeping against having to buy an $80 one when my first one gets lost or falls apart, ... that link also includes info about where to buy in each state in posts 52 & 63, ...

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...-134905-7.html
Yep, agree with you ~ it was discussed recently but in my case since I'm only an occasional camper (versus a full time camper) I probably didn't read the thread concerning managing camping fees.
Not only that, but it may not have been mentioned about the other type of passes available, I haven't double checked.
I apologize if this causes any undo hardship for anyone.
Old 06-08-2017, 05:10 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by extxn View Post
Yep, agree with you ~ it was discussed recently but in my case since I'm only an occasional camper (versus a full time camper) I probably didn't read the thread concerning managing camping fees.
Not only that, but it may not have been mentioned about the other type of passes available, I haven't double checked.
I apologize if this causes any undo hardship for anyone.
my post wasn't intended to be critical or sarcastic at all, when I saw this thread, I just wanted to let yall know about the previous one, because there is helpful info there and some folks may like to see it, that's all, .... only meant to be helpful ....

fella10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 05:36 PM   #13

I would happily pay a few hundred for one. I am 8.5 years from being eligible.
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 05:54 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwannacamp View Post
I would happily pay a few hundred for one. I am 8.5 years from being eligible.
Buy one for a "OLD Person" and take Them Camping! Only 1 person needs a Pass! Youroo!!
Old 06-08-2017, 06:05 PM   #15

Quote:
I got a replacement for mine a few months ago at the Pocatello BLM Field office. At first they said they could not replace it, so I called the USGS which handles the passes and they called the BLM office and I got a free one.
Only real requirement was the number had to be legible and it had to be replaced before the 10 buck passes are gone.

Living somewhere in ID; previously lived in Moab UT; previous to that, don't ask!
f5moab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 07:09 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by fella10 View Post
my post wasn't intended to be critical or sarcastic at all, when I saw this thread, I just wanted to let yall know about the previous one, because there is helpful info there and some folks may like to see it, that's all, .... only meant to be helpful ....
We're good ~
Old 06-08-2017, 07:18 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
Buy one for a "OLD Person" and take Them Camping! Only 1 person needs a Pass! Youroo!!
Way back when, I took Grammie over to Carlsbad Caverns, Carlsbad, NM. She just about had a heart attack at the admission price for 4 people (I wasn't making much back then). Well, this HUGE Park Ranger came over, wanted to know what was the matter, she began to let him have it - and she was only 5' nuthin! He stood there very politely and listened, looked over and down at me (I'm 6') and commenced to tell me how I could purchase a Golden Pass for her and she could then treat us.

That night, after we got back home and cleaned up - she wanted to go out for dinner. When the waitress came and asked about drinks ~ Grammie bought a pitcher of beer for her & I to share.

Thanks for draggin'up good memories youroo!!
Old 06-09-2017, 05:13 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by extxn View Post
Way back when, I took Grammie over to Carlsbad Caverns, Carlsbad, NM. She just about had a heart attack at the admission price for 4 people (I wasn't making much back then). Well, this HUGE Park Ranger came over, wanted to know what was the matter, she began to let him have it - and she was only 5' nuthin! He stood there very politely and listened, looked over and down at me (I'm 6') and commenced to tell me how I could purchase a Golden Pass for her and she could then treat us.

That night, after we got back home and cleaned up - she wanted to go out for dinner. When the waitress came and asked about drinks ~ Grammie bought a pitcher of beer for her & I to share.

Thanks for draggin'up good memories youroo!!
I love stories like this,Thanks for this one! Youroo!!