Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-15-2014, 02:49 PM   #1

And shower water runs down the hall...

Just getting in from our second weekend out in the Avenger. Received awesome feedback on stabilizers (now installed!). New challenge that we need some advice on.

So last trip, husband took a shower while I was prepping for dinner in kitchen. Looked back and saw a steady stream of water on floor, heading into floor heating vent. Shower water was sneaking past curtain and running down outside of tub, under door and towards bunk room. Between trips, he installed shower guards at corners of tub with silicone caulk. We made sure to take extra care in keeping shower curtain pulled carefully.

After third person showered, we noticed same problem again. It appears caulk on the underside of the shower guard gave way with the give in the tub of having someone standing in it. No one weighing an extreme or anything.

Not sure how to address this issue. Does this happen to anyone else? Any suggestions on preventing this? Ww want to keep shower water where it belongs!
2013 Ford F-150 Eco-Boost Super-crew cab
Number of days camped in 2014: 10
BeedoGoesCamping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 09:11 PM   #2

Is the water escaping between the edge of the shower curtain and the edge of the shower wall where the two meet? If so, use the existing curtain or buy a wider curtain if necessary and pull the curtain around the corner of the shower on each side. Get a couple of suction cups to attach the curtain to the shower wall and the water should be contained inside the shower/tub inclosure.
it's also always a good idea for the person using the RV shower to be aware that water can escape and be responsible to be watchful while using the shower. Also, pointing the shower head a little more toward the rear wall of the shower works well to keep errant water where it belongs.
RSchleder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 01:26 AM   #3
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSchleder View Post
Is the water escaping between the edge of the shower curtain and the edge of the shower wall where the two meet? If so, use the existing curtain or buy a wider curtain if necessary and pull the curtain around the corner of the shower on each side. Get a couple of suction cups to attach the curtain to the shower wall and the water should be contained inside the shower/tub inclosure.
it's also always a good idea for the person using the RV shower to be aware that water can escape and be responsible to be watchful while using the shower. Also, pointing the shower head a little more toward the rear wall of the shower works well to keep errant water where it belongs.
x2
It wouldn't hurt to make sure the stopper is not closed either. I place the bottle of shampoo on top of the shower curtain on the shower ledge keep the curtain flat & in place. But directly the shower head towards the back corner and standing more towards the inside wall made a big difference for me.

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 07:13 AM   #4

Friends had water from their shower, after many tubes of caulk, dealer took access panel off and found there was no bracing under shower. This caused a loose drain when someone stood in the shower. They braced the floor and recaulked and now have no issues.
DonCath25ds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 07:35 PM   #5

We've been very careful with curtain placement (even used the shampoo bottle to hold curtain in place). I am trying to figure out how to get the caulk to stay on the underside of the shower spill guard my husband installed. There is enough play in the tub when someone stands in it, that the caulk gives way. Hoping DonCath25ds is not on to something. Really don't want to head back to dealer in our prime camping season.
2013 Ford F-150 Eco-Boost Super-crew cab
Number of days camped in 2014: 10
BeedoGoesCamping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 09:06 PM   #6

I had a little "give" in my shower pan which kept the caulk from sealing where the glass wall met the top of the pan. I would caulk it and the next time someone used it, it flexed down enough to open the joint. The next time I caulked it, I stood in it to make it flex as I caulked. That has held up for over a year now.
2011 Rockwood 2604
K_and_I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 09:33 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_and_I View Post
I had a little "give" in my shower pan which kept the caulk from sealing where the glass wall met the top of the pan. I would caulk it and the next time someone used it, it flexed down enough to open the joint. The next time I caulked it, I stood in it to make it flex as I caulked. That has held up for over a year now.
IF you have an access panel where you can look under your tub, you should do so. I also had a 'give' in my tub near the drain. I looked under the tub one day and found that the 'support' board was supporting nothing and hanging in mid air. I braced up the support board with 2x4 screwed into it and to the floor. No more give. There was no way in the world that the RV builder could have missed the support board 'hanging' in mid air. They were too lazy to take the time to fix it right.

2013 Forest River Salem Hemisphere SBT312QBUD

2001 CrewCab F-250 7.3 PowerStroke Diesel
SuperChip, BTS transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler
Brother Les is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 09:47 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeedoGoesCamping View Post
We've been very careful with curtain placement (even used the shampoo bottle to hold curtain in place). I am trying to figure out how to get the caulk to stay on the underside of the shower spill guard my husband installed. There is enough play in the tub when someone stands in it, that the caulk gives way. Hoping DonCath25ds is not on to something. Really don't want to head back to dealer in our prime camping season.
Try this, there should be enough flex in it to stay sealed with the slight movement you describe.

rivraton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 09:57 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother Les View Post
IF you have an access panel where you can look under your tub, you should do so. I also had a 'give' in my tub near the drain. I looked under the tub one day and found that the 'support' board was supporting nothing and hanging in mid air. I braced up the support board with 2x4 screwed into it and to the floor. No more give. There was no way in the world that the RV builder could have missed the support board 'hanging' in mid air. They were too lazy to take the time to fix it right.
Like Mid Air? Youroo!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	003 (2).jpg
Views:	132
Size:	332.7 KB
ID:	55465   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF2193.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	235.3 KB
ID:	55466   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF2198.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	239.6 KB
ID:	55467  
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 08:30 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
Like Mid Air? Youroo!!

Same as mine. Maybe it is standard operation to have a support board/foot hanging in mid air . I wonder if I voided a warranty by fixing it where it would help support the tub? Oh well.... I don't feel that I am going to fall through the tub now.......

2013 Forest River Salem Hemisphere SBT312QBUD

2001 CrewCab F-250 7.3 PowerStroke Diesel
SuperChip, BTS transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler
Brother Les is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 08:30 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother Les View Post
I'll have to take a look. Thanks for the "heads up".
2011 Rockwood 2604
K_and_I is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
show, shower, water