Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-05-2012, 10:05 AM   #1
Always Learning

Red face Another first - parking at the storage lot

First, let me say that this went about as well as I expected. That's to say, it was somewhere between and . My friend offered to come and set his phone up to take time lapse photos of the event which he later then put together into a time lapse video.

First, the lot/spot:

Second, the 50 minutes of fun compressed to 19 seconds of awesome:
Backing up the trailer - YouTube

Finally, and no pictures of this part - it ended with pizza + beer at my buddies house while the wives chatted and kids played.

My closing thoughts ... thank tiny baby Jesus that our neighbor wasn't occupying their site at the time. And, thanks to my wife for her infinite patience and working/talking through all of it with me. Thank Buddah that we work well together!
Old 09-05-2012, 10:06 AM   #2
Always Learning

Oh, and I LOVE my B&W Companion hitch. I was worried that I wasn't going to be able unhitch at such an angle - no issues, nothing. Came off clean.
Old 09-05-2012, 10:09 AM   #3
CampingQueen

That is just too funny!
2011: 17 nights 2012: 26 nights 2013: 46 2014: 20 2015: 16
arlee453 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 10:15 AM   #4

I feel your pain
I'm a real pro at backing up -when no one's watching.
The rest of the time it's the RV special olympics.
If it was me and I had a camera watching me , I'd likely still be there trying.

I'd also likely be 50 pounds lighter from all the sweating, crying, cursing and constant leaping in and out of the TV.
Old 09-05-2012, 10:25 AM   #5
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yukon Don View Post
I feel your pain
I'm a real pro at backing up -when no one's watching.
The rest of the time it's the RV special olympics.
If it was me and I had a camera watching me , I'd likely still be there trying.

I'd also likely be 50 pounds lighter from all the sweating, crying, cursing and constant leaping in and out of the TV.
LOL! Fortunately, it started out as a lark that he went at all. He doesn't RV nor does he back in trailers, but he's a sharp guy. I leaned on my wife for actual input.

As for the camera - there is one frame where I stood and waited with my double birds flying for the humor value at it.

Otherwise, I'm lucky - I don't get too mad. I did have a time where I completely undid a good attempt with trying to "fix" it that had me riled up. But, all in all - I kept my cool.

And the video doesn't quite do it justice... I was in and out of the truck a BUNCH of times. Sometimes on my doing, sometimes the wife summoned me....
Old 09-05-2012, 11:14 AM   #6

The last trip we went to over Labor Day, was a hoot!!! I watched the same trailer back in and out for the better part of a six pack of beverages. He did not want any help. When he was done, he came over and drank a beverage with me and we laughed for long time.
You are not the only one!!
Jester
PS Nice rig!

2012 Super Crew 4WD 6.7 PSD
2015 Cardinal 3800 FL
2007 Road King Black Cherry-Hers
2007 Road King Blue-Mine
1979 FXS Hot Rod Shovelhead
Jestercyco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 11:23 AM   #7
Always Learning

Oh, I'm SURE I'm plenty of entertainment! We had a pull-thru site and still had 2 or 3 attempts at getting it "just right" to the concrete patio pad and have room for our slides and whatnot.
Old 09-05-2012, 11:35 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Too funny !!

Everyone has those days. I had an experienced tractor trailer driver tell me one time that "some days I can back em, and some days I can't."

The last couple of times that I had to back my trailer into the driveway, I had some neighbors watching me from their cars....they had to wait for me to back in, since I was blocking the road. Thank goodness, I did it on the 1st attempt both of those times......usually it takes me a couple of tries.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Driveway.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	26.6 KB
ID:	19146

EdJunior posted some pictures a while back of him backing his 5th wheel into his driveway......it was some tight quarters. Since then, I believe he has widened the driveway some....that rascal.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 12:19 PM   #9
TeresaInCAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jestercyco View Post
The last trip we went to over Labor Day, was a hoot!!! I watched the same trailer back in and out for the better part of a six pack of beverages.
LOL, good way to keep track of time!
TeresaInCAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 12:21 PM   #10

Loved the video of the backing procedure. My DW took one of me backing our Puma in the drive when I brought it home in January. We had a Palomino PUP which was easy with our van and then with the truck. We tripled the length with the Puma. She thought it was going to be real comical but I showed her I could do it. I back in all the time by myself now while she is gone. I have about 6 inches to spare when I cut back or else I will drop off the other side of our drive. I back down our drive to the rear and have to stop before I go into the lawn. I took some orange marking paint and painted an L where the front left corner goes. I then know I have enough room in the rear to put my stab's down. I tried coming down the other direction in the street but I have almost taken out the neighbor's mailbox across from our house. I took my tt to the rv repair a few weeks ago. They told me to park it down the hill. I found a slot between a motorhome and a 5r...put it in with no help from a spotter. Although I did stop when backing, got out, and walked back to see how much room I did have. I look backwards, use my mirrors and just take my time. In the other life I had, I would occasionally have to back a C-130 out of our workstands in our hanger or pull one into the stands with every little clearance. Just had to take it easy....Back around the 4th of July I took our tt over to a COE park while the DW was at work. While I was backing in a nice fellow came out of the next spot to see if I needed any help. He looked, turned around and went back in. I thanked him later for noticing that I might need some help clearing the back, he said...well, you looked like you had it under control.
Mark and Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 12:22 PM   #11
TeresaInCAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
First, let me say that this went about as well as I expected. That's to say, it was somewhere between and . My friend offered to come and set his phone up to take time lapse photos of the event which he later then put together into a time lapse video.
In your defense, there sure isn't much wiggle room in those parking spots!
TeresaInCAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 12:34 PM   #12
Now a "Top Member"

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnguy View Post
Too funny !!

Everyone has those days. I had an experienced tractor trailer driver tell me one time that "some days I can back em, and some days I can't."

EdJunior posted some pictures a while back of him backing his 5th wheel into his driveway......it was some tight quarters. Since then, I believe he has widened the driveway some....that rascal.

Yeah, and I can't find my backing in the driveway post anywhere. I'll get another pic up later. I did widen my driveway, but I haven't gotten the camper back there yet. I have to still do some tree trimming. And it's just plain been too hot for it. And after backing my boat down the crushed rock part I did, I know I'm going to have to widen that also. But it will all come.

I can't wait to see the youtube (blocked from this location). It's good to see you can take it all in stride ependydad. Otherwise it just plain wouldn't be worth the hassle, would it!??!
Retired AF MSgt

I thought I was wrong once, but I was wrong!
EdJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 12:43 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdJunior View Post
Yeah, and I can't find my backing in the driveway post anywhere. I'll get another pic up later.
Ed, post #111 here: http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...-17992-12.html

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 01:43 PM   #14

Wow...that is a tight one to get back into!
Mark and Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 01:52 PM   #15
Always Learning

(cough) For those talking about the tight spot.. I have to say, I was lucky and the neighbor on the inner-corner of the turn was not there. I've already emailed a nice note to the storage lot facility manager thanking her for the gift!
Old 09-05-2012, 02:35 PM   #16

I have been practicing inside my storage lot doing the same thing with my 12 foot pop-up, and I thought that was tricky! You should be commended for doing as well as you did with that big unit.
Tinsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 04:32 PM   #17

I also pull single and double jet ski trailers. The smaller jet ski trailer is a pain. At the boat launch, you have 3 invisible lanes that boaters are trying to reverse in which makes it difficult.

I noticed some beach spots for RV are so tight from the pictures. Has anybody ever tried reversing into a parking spot at the beach?
tntrac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 06:47 PM   #18
Now a "Top Member"

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnguy View Post
Ah, that's where it is. Thanks Chap!

ependydad...I don't envy you when the neighbor is there. Yikes!
Retired AF MSgt

Old 09-05-2012, 06:50 PM   #19
Now a "Top Member"

Heh...I just watched the video. It looked a bit bigger when you first started, but wow...it cramped right up. Man, good job!
Retired AF MSgt

Old 09-05-2012, 10:47 PM   #20

Nice video! I couldn't help but run Benny Hill through my head watching it

Tags
parking, storage lot