Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-17-2020, 08:38 PM   #21

Close encounters

Close encounters of the sign variety -
I found a sign the hard way with the left side of my Sunseeker, hung low and close enough that I hit it. Just under the overhang behind the driver door. Nothing hurt but my pride.
I have a diamond shaped sign on my school bus route that is definitely too close to the road. I moved over to let a car go by and that sign went down the side making a big noisy racket. I don't move over any more and actually stop for oncoming cars at that spot now.

Live and learn.

vasnipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 09:30 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by The2002Wanderer View Post
I've discovered, through similar experience, another hazard to RV appendages. Twice so far I've had my awning "attacked" by those basketball backstops (the ones with the water-filled bases) set in the street. They don't look like it but the edge of the hoop projects almost a car width into the road; just enough to snag the rear cap on the awning of my Isata 3 as I try to negotiate around the hoop on an otherwise standard width residential street. That cap is darn expensive ($48) for a piece of plastic!
Like others, I just put it down to a continual learning experience being a newish RV owner.
Though it hasn't happened yet to me I'm paranoid my DP will make friends with a basketball net half way in the road. In fact moved into my new house last year saw one at the corner rounding my street. Next day I stopped at the house mentioned it to the owner who apologized and now it sits down off on the side of the road until the kids want to play.
dmctlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 10:08 PM   #23

Couple years back DW and I coming back from the Smokey Mountains, leaving Pigeon Forge, and "DW" says "turn here looks like a fairly straight road and we can go around Pigeon Forge". That should have been my first clue but I turned. BTW anybody ever seen a "straight road" in Tennessee? As soon as I made that left I see a sign that says "No trucks" and coming around the bend behind the sign, yup a truck and in a hurry! Now to my left across the narrow road is a row of mailboxes, to my right sudden drop off and a very high cliff edge, thinking this is not going to end well.

I'm as far over to the right as I can get, i'm brushing the weeds with the TT, he is wide eyed, think dear in the headlights as I'm sure I am, looking straight ahead trying to stay to his right and not hit the mailboxes. We pass by, no contact and he leaves the mailboxes in tact. Glance over at the DW and she is wider eyed then us and looking at me says "I'm sorry!" I shake my head and we continue on our latest adventure.

So I get it, stuff happens in a blink of an eye, only grace of god I got away with it that time.

2022 Rockwood 2893BS
2019 Ram 2500 Longhorn CTD
Theb2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2020, 11:56 AM   #24

Found one of those at the edge of some tree branches on a residential street when making room for a car to get by going the other direction. Had to replace entire awning plus the hoop.
Old 11-18-2020, 01:13 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theb2b View Post
BTW anybody ever seen a "straight road" in Tennessee?
My Dad used to say "Some surveyor followed a cow and wherever the cow "dropped a cow-pie" he drove a stake for the new road.

FWIW I got snookered into taking a road that looked good on the map. Was an experience I never forgot. First clue trouble was ahead was the Cattleguard after the turn and the center line dissappeared

Can't recall how far down the list that event was of reasons why my ex became my ex but the list was long.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 07:51 PM   #26

Many, many years ago I went with my father-in-law to dump from home. He made too tight a right turn and the road sign rubbed the complete length of the awning. Had to patch 2 or 3 scraped holes. I learned from his mistake to take wide right turns.
Former owner of 2016 Wildwood X-Lite 231RKXL
pwoods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 07:59 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
When I asked that question in the other thread there were NO implications you were a moron. I simply wanted to know how it happened, so myself and others could use that knowledge for things to be on the lookout for.

I'm sorry your thread got closed (not deleted) but please do not jump to conclusions when someone asks a question that it was asked for any other reason than knowing what happened.
Master Hiram?
2018 Forest River Cherokee 264CK
Lektrikon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 09:21 PM   #28
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lektrikon View Post
Master Hiram?
<->
Name:   thumbs%20up.jpeg
Views: 234
Size:  8.1 KB

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 09:44 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
I actually read your post that explained how the canopy was damaged.

I know how stuff like this happens. I even managed one year to smack the back of my old TT with a backhoe bucket while doing some "landscaping". Stuff happens.

As for signs that are too close to the road I witnessed an instant cure to the problem. Sign was ridiculously close to road and a trailer was having a bad time making the turn. 4 guys piled out of the truck and "adjusted" the sign. Metal pole had a 30 degree bend in it at the ground level and the sign metal itself was now at a much more practical distance from the road. Back in the truck and on they went.

Had a similar happenstance at a coe park.
You know how they put those 2 1/2 ft. Wooden poles in the ground with the site numbers on them,, well they put this inches away from the narrow loop road so that it was in the way both backing into and exiting the site, so close to the ground that you can't see it from the cab of your truck. Its a nightmare. You could see it was all dented up from multiple run ins from time to time.... well I tried and tried , but couldn't get my 42ft rig in without fear of slamming into it,,,, so , got out of my truck , pushed, pulled , and tuned on it till I pulled ot out of the ground,,, to the cheers of all the campers around me, I proped it up against a nearby tree so as it was visible to the road.... that site marker is still there where I put it years later.
Steve Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 08:27 AM   #30

You have a hole in the canopy, I had to replace both rear stabilizers. Crap occurs. Perfect drivers are only that until it happens to them. Roll on.
JDFilkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 08:41 AM   #31
Bob n Vic Summer Getaway

That is a very profound and true statement.
BobnVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 11:18 AM   #32

One time we went to a State Park and the road leading to it was full of overhanging trees. Lets just say there were quite a few marks along side the curb side of the trailer when I needed to make room for one going the other way. That was with my old trailer that was 10' high. My new one is closer to 13' and no way possible I could travel down that road without causing some damage. Glad that I found it out with my first trailer and have crossed that park off my list, well, that and the trains going back and forth every 37 minutes at all hours.

Hit happens! The difficult thing with my set up is that I cannot see the right side of my trailer no matter how I adjust the mirror unless I lean over to the passenger seat, so I never would have seen the sign you described, especially at that height. I can see the right lane perfectly and that is really all that matters, but the mirror doesn't move out far enough to see the side from the drivers seat, and to see the awning I have to tilt it up and then not see the road. Only the passenger side though, the drivers side works perfectly. I probably would have had the same thing happen.
Bhrava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 11:32 AM   #33

Hi,
Good morning. Just another day in Paradise. Sorry you came in contact with a tree at our state park... It is a very nice camp ground and the lake is a great place to camp and live. Hopefully you will be back to enjoy the Lake of the Ozarks.
Have a short Winter,
Fred
2020 F-150 3.5 2nd Gen
catcottf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 03:02 PM   #34

Many years ago ands 4 rv's ago, my wife and I were visiting our son in Tucson and parked too close to the curb with our class C. It wasn't until we were getting ready to head home and I was doing a walk around inspection that I discovered a pretty bad tear in one of my dual tires from rubbing against the curb. I opted to take the time to change the tire instead of chancing hitting the road with the torn tire.
CraigJean is offline   Reply With Quote