Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-24-2010, 06:34 PM   #1
Nights Camped in 2010 - 2

Ants..... What do ya do?

Good Evening All,
I have lucky so far, but l landed on a site were I get some soldering ants looking for chow. They are on the outside for now. I have suppressed their attack so far without having to use spray. I am wondering what some of you do to deal with ants????? I camp with two small dogs, so I would Luke to stay away from poisons. Thanks....
Nights Camped 2010 = 18
Nights Camped 2011 = 15
sailingsuppo46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 08:08 PM   #2

Make a mixture of 50/50 water and vinegar and pour it into a spray bottle. Spray the surface with the solution several times a day. Ants guide themselves with their scent. Vinegar has a natural chemical that alters ants' scent and which ants avoid.

Sprinkle black pepper where you see them congregating and watch 'them scatter. Follow them to where they're exiting - which is the same spot they're entering in at - and sprinkle the pepper at that spot to keep them from coming back in. It's safe to use in your cabinets, on windowsills, near your Equal parts Windex and Ivory Soap. Simply mix, and spray problem areas.

Diatomaceous-Earth
D-earth is safe for mammals, birds and reptiles. You can find it in garden supply centers. Catnip, spearmint plants, cinnamon, sugar or a chalk line also deter ants. A mixture of water, white vinegar and dish soap works, or put active dry yeast, molasses or honey made into a paste in a jar to attract ants. They crawl inside, eat, get stuck and die. Check for tree branches leaning on your roof since ants can crawl through gutters and sneak into your house.

Read more: Can I get a natural, safe ant killer?
milzat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 10:12 PM   #3
Nights Camped in 2010 - 2

Mike,
Thanks. I will try the vinger tomorrow. Thanks again,
Nights Camped 2010 = 18
Nights Camped 2011 = 15
sailingsuppo46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 03:03 AM   #4
Where should we go next!

I use a little Comet or Borax scrubbing powder cleaner anywhere the camper makes contact with the ground, including around the power box and water spicket. I only do this if the ants are bad which hasn't happened often. I don't think your dog would want anything to do with it. Just a suggestion.

Ford F-150 4X4 Supercrew Ecoboost
SportTrek 334 Touring Edition
Equalizer 4-point 10K lbs.
Offagain is offline   Reply With Quote