Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 12-25-2018, 03:32 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
It sure is hard for some folks to believe other people might do things differently than they.

Be courteous and do what is best for YOUR situation. The world won't end if someone does differently.
Amen, the Rapture is not predicated on how each of us does things.
Old 12-25-2018, 03:38 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by bedubya View Post
I did not make a mistake. I did not need or want a 42½ foot 5th wheel. Our floor plan suits us perfectly. Having to put the slide out to get past the bathroom is a minor inconvenience.
Us too, one persons "mistake" is another persons Perfect camper.

Else we would all be driving identical trucks or RVs and pulling the exact same unit!!
Old 12-25-2018, 03:38 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtesta1 View Post
Being in the slide while retracted can break the studs loose from the wall. It happened to me. Didn't know it till I saw light coming up between the wall and floor .stripped all the bolts loose . Had to install larger bolts and a lot more of them.
We were told by our dealer to not walk in the slide portion when they are in. Also our slides are either full in or full out. Even using that logic, I’ve had to adjust alignment on my dining room slide as a result from bolts loosening up.
Merry Christmas.
Curt A20 c/w GM Puck system
2021 56 night’s booked
Old 12-25-2018, 03:57 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasReid View Post
Us too, one persons "mistake" is another persons Perfect camper.

Else we would all be driving identical trucks or RVs and pulling the exact same unit!!
Not to mention that we'd all be going to the same places. Can you imagine how difficult it would be with all those "perfect people" in one place?

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
Old 12-25-2018, 03:58 PM   #45

Help or put down?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyDan View Post
Just gotta wonder- how does your response have anything to do with the OP's question???
We get it, you only camp in full service camp grounds. It's not your job to change everyone else's mind.
X2 I agree with you. Not helpful
Old 12-25-2018, 04:02 PM   #46

Well I learned something today. I never even thought about damaging anything by walking or sitting in the table nook with a partially extended slide out.

If it is cold out we will leave the kitchen slide extended just a little to lessen the exposed area to cold and thus being easier to keep unit warm. So from now on I will refrain from sitting in nook just in case this is actually true. Not going to take the chance.

A wealth of info on this forum. Merry Christmas everyone.
Old 12-25-2018, 04:02 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtsdj View Post
Not trying to start an online confrontation, but I thought this thread was about partially extending a slide or not. A member is asking for thoughts and help. Why in hell, would anyone want to reply to it by saying “If you can’t afford a campground don’t camp” ? If you can’t help or answer the questions, then don’t answer at all, just my humble opinion.
Right on!
Old 12-25-2018, 05:03 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtesta1 View Post
Being in the slide while retracted can break the studs loose from the wall. It happened to me. Didn't know it till I saw light coming up between the wall and floor .stripped all the bolts loose . Had to install larger bolts and a lot more of them.
Is this only true for a trailer and 5th wheel? Our slide contains our dinette and sofa and has seat belts for when people are sitting there while we are moving, of course we have a motorhome. Why would they put seat belts on the seats in the slide if you're not supposed to sit there while its retracted?
Windsurf-mobile for us
Old 12-25-2018, 05:15 PM   #49
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days

When I was on my summer journey I had removed the two recliners from my large slide, which also contains the dinette, plus had also removed the couch from the rear wall of my 5'ver as I made a stop in Denver to get the rest of my stuff out of my storage unit to bring to my new home in Arizona.

I named it 'The UHaul' for that trip...

Anyway, I had a lot of weight in that slide and put it in and out a couple of times on the trip from Denver to Yuma...

I did make sure to put the lighter stuff in that spot and they heavy stuff on the solid floor along the back wall.

While it moved in and out slower than normal, so far there has been no residual effect from that move that I can tell.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180626_232056249.jpg
Views:	215
Size:	353.2 KB
ID:	193510   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180628_182653235_LL.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	364.0 KB
ID:	193511  
Old 12-25-2018, 08:21 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnD10 View Post
When I was on my summer journey I had removed the two recliners from my large slide, which also contains the dinette, plus had also removed the couch from the rear wall of my 5'ver as I made a stop in Denver to get the rest of my stuff out of my storage unit to bring to my new home in Arizona.

I named it 'The UHaul' for that trip...

Anyway, I had a lot of weight in that slide and put it in and out a couple of times on the trip from Denver to Yuma...

I did make sure to put the lighter stuff in that spot and they heavy stuff on the solid floor along the back wall.

While it moved in and out slower than normal, so far there has been no residual effect from that move that I can tell.
Dang. Is that a cat...or some kind of a hybrid? That's a big one.
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Old 12-25-2018, 09:46 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwannacamp View Post
Dang. Is that a cat...or some kind of a hybrid? That's a big one.

I was thinking the same thing. Cool another camp cat. I have two of them.

I don't have the same unit as you, but when we pull in for just some sleep we will put it out 4 or 5 inches just to get by the table to the bathroom. We have to keep the cats in the truck because they like to get under the slide. If we are parked over a grassy are or curb where it can be fully extended, we will do it. I figure in all the gas taxes I have paid over the years I can pull in for a little shut eye rather than killing someone by falling asleep at wheel.

2015 23 BD Gray Wolf
2008 Dodge Ram 2500 TX Edition 2015 - 7 nights, 2 trips, 2016 - 2 trip, 24 nights, 2017 1 trip, 3 nights 2018 1 trip, 93 nights

Old 12-25-2018, 10:12 PM   #52

I must admit that I have not partially extended my slides as you described, but I have been tempted to. I also thought that in doing so I may be compromising either the seals or the supports.

What I did do was buy a 2" wide roll of D.O.T. recommended white and red reflective tape just like what you see on the big 18 wheelers. I used it to make my slide outs more visible when extended. That way they do not become "invisible obstacles" in the rain or fog when the slides are extended. I made an "L" with the tape on both sides of the two slides. I used it on the inside edges of the doors, door handles, rear bumper, front hitch frame and frame sides.
I also have reflective "feelers" that I can use to mark off the corners of the trailer to try to alert drivers that tend to cut corners too closely to the trailer.
Old 12-26-2018, 12:54 AM   #53

There are three cats total in those two photos...one in the first shot and two in the second shot.

I had four of them at the time, but one has since gone to kitty heaven.

They are Maincoones, which are notoriously large cats!

Here is a shot with all four of them, plus, I do the reflectors on both sides of my slides as well!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	FourMainecoonsSm.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	769.3 KB
ID:	193527   Click image for larger version

Name:	Desk-IMG_20180312_130139303.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	295.5 KB
ID:	193528   Click image for larger version

Name:	ProwlerUtahKOA-P1020477.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	1.16 MB
ID:	193529  
Old 12-26-2018, 08:11 AM   #54

Reflective tape on slide outs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villagerjjm View Post
I must admit that I have not partially extended my slides as you described, but I have been tempted to. I also thought that in doing so I may be compromising either the seals or the supports.

What I did do was buy a 2" wide roll of D.O.T. recommended white and red reflective tape just like what you see on the big 18 wheelers. I used it to make my slide outs more visible when extended. That way they do not become "invisible obstacles" in the rain or fog when the slides are extended. I made an "L" with the tape on both sides of the two slides. I used it on the inside edges of the doors, door handles, rear bumper, front hitch frame and frame sides.
I also have reflective "feelers" that I can use to mark off the corners of the trailer to try to alert drivers that tend to cut corners too closely to the trailer.

Could you post a couple photos of your reflective tape? Would doing this have any affect on warranty issues? Does it have any affect on the effectiveness of the seals, either out or in? Thank you.
Old 12-26-2018, 11:16 AM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaineiacFarm View Post
Could you post a couple photos of your reflective tape? Would doing this have any affect on warranty issues? Does it have any affect on the effectiveness of the seals, either out or in? Thank you.
Bought mine at Walmart...

In the Auto department by the trailer hitch stuff.

$10 bucks for four strips of it...

And there should be no reason why it would affect any warranty and doesn't do anything to the seals as it is very thin.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ProwlerHomeFromAlto2017bg-P5080777.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	343.1 KB
ID:	193535   Click image for larger version

Name:	ProwlerUtahKOA-P1020477.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	1.16 MB
ID:	193536  
Old 12-26-2018, 09:23 PM   #56

I do not have any photos that are readily available. It is the same reflective tape that you see on Tractor trailers. Using the tape does not void the warranty. It does not get in the way of normal functions of the slides.
Old 12-26-2018, 09:44 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villagerjjm View Post
I do not have any photos that are readily available. It is the same reflective tape that you see on Tractor trailers. Using the tape does not void the warranty. It does not get in the way of normal functions of the slides.
Just a suggestion when installing tape like this, including non-slip type on stairs, a small radius cut on each corner will prevent the corners from lifting over time. Not big, just enough "round" to reduce the sharp point that doesn't have enough "stick power" to stay down.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
Old 12-27-2018, 01:45 AM   #58

Ya I agree why spend the money for a couple hrs of sleep. Not worth it.
Old 12-27-2018, 05:40 AM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnD10 View Post
Bought mine at Walmart...

In the Auto department by the trailer hitch stuff.

$10 bucks for four strips of it...

And there should be no reason why it would affect any warranty and doesn't do anything to the seals as it is very thin.
What a Wonderful Idea. The pictures made clear exactly what you described that my my mind wasn't grasping

MANY THANKS for sharing!

I looked online and it is even available in several colors that are all reflective.
Old 12-27-2018, 09:57 AM   #60

Everyone has a opinion. Would I ever extend my slides when stopped, I wouldn’t but a lot of people do. If I was going to extend a slide for one night I would try to park the camper on a curb so no one could hit my slide. As I get older my reflexes are not great in the daytime and go downhill at night, I’m not driving at night pulling a camper. I can find a campground somewhere but hey it’s just me, have fun. DW says I spend far to much time on this forum, I’m beginning to think she is right
Closed Thread

Tags
light, slide