Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-11-2020, 10:20 AM   #1

Any cool tricks for putting fitted sheet on bed?

Seems like a stupid request but we replaced our factory mattress (I hesitate to give it that compliment) right after our first trip with a 10" memory foam mattress. That mattress sleeps as good as our stick house mattress but... it's a PIA when you try to make the bed with fitted sheets. The mattress weighs about 80# and in our model of TT one bed end of the bed is tightly wedged between the front wall of the TT and the two side wardrobe cabinets.

Because of the weight & stiffness of the mattress, it is next to impossible to lift up the corners of the bed on that end and so getting the corners of the sheets tucked under is a sweat inducing fight.

Anybody have a sweet trick for doing this?
Only one shedding mutt now RIP Yoshi
larry2c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 10:28 AM   #2

I had the same frustration with my mattress on the Murphy bed.

I finally just pulled the mattress off the foot of the bed so the far corners weren't buried in the corners. When the sheet is fitted to those corners, which are now easier to reach, I push it back in place and finish with the foot end corners.

Moving the mattress to me is a lot less work and frustration than trying to install the sheet with it in place.

I realize that every bed layout has it's own challenges but this has worked for me.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 10:55 AM   #3

I saw in a Morryde catalog that they have a matress slide.
Days camped 2021: 19
Days camped 2020: 18
Days camped 2019: 17
Chief T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 11:25 AM   #4

Thanks Mike Chief - I've tried to slide the mattress down before but the plywood base is rough and it doesn't really want to slide. The slide gadget Chief linked to is pretty slick but I'm sure that would be more $$$ than I would want to spend.

However, the two suggestions made me think - maybe I'll take my mattress off the bed, put some sort of slippery surface on top of the plywood (melamine?). Then I should be able to pull the mattress out where the corners are beyond the wardrobe cabinets.

Thanks for the suggestions gents!
Old 08-11-2020, 11:42 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by larry2c View Post
Thanks Mike Chief - I've tried to slide the mattress down before but the plywood base is rough and it doesn't really want to slide. The slide gadget Chief linked to is pretty slick but I'm sure that would be more $$$ than I would want to spend.

However, the two suggestions made me think - maybe I'll take my mattress off the bed, put some sort of slippery surface on top of the plywood (melamine?). Then I should be able to pull the mattress out where the corners are beyond the wardrobe cabinets.

You could even use a piece of plastic sheeting, like 6 or 10 mil poly. Think economy painters drop clothes(2mil), only thicker.
Use some two sided carpet tape under the corners to keep the poly in place on the plywood, if needed.

Like the others, I've found just slipping the mattress far enough down to fit the top corners, works great.
katkt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 12:09 PM   #6

It has always been a wrestling match between me, the sheets and the mattress. I usually come out a ball of sweat and need another shower.
Tahoe John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 12:12 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by larry2c View Post

Or just a sheet of inexpensive vinyl flooring. Perhaps a remnant from your local flooring store. Just glue down the corners so you can remove it easier should you change your mind in the future.

Old 08-11-2020, 12:37 PM   #8

Oxygen. ��. Seriously we sold our GT because one side of the mattress along the head of the mattress was against a wall plus it was very hard to use the restroom. We kept it 14 months. A lesson I give to people who are looking at a new rig is try to make the bed befoe you buy. Sliding is the only way I know. If you could install either a slider or a power tilting system??
Old 08-11-2020, 01:17 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tahoe John View Post
It has always been a wrestling match between me, the sheets and the mattress. I usually come out a ball of sweat and need another shower.
When I read this the first time I had to to go back and re-read. Sure enough, I missed the word "me" and it changed the whole meaning

Old 08-11-2020, 01:19 PM   #10
Retired Member

We put adhesive backed contact paper on the plywood so mattress slides easily when pulled. Easy and cheap.
RMWSierra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 01:45 PM   #11

We solved the problem by buying a fitted zip-sheet. The top zips off the base & you never have to remove it....only unzip the top & launder. Works great! No more battle to remove & put back on. Kind of pricey, but worth every dime! Quickzip.com
pixy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 02:02 PM   #12

Just go into it thinking of trying to give a cat a bath.
Bobh62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 02:29 PM   #13

Smile Floor tile

Put self stick floor time on the plywood base and the mattress slides easy
Dave Bulkley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 02:37 PM   #14

I just let the DW do it. Works every time and I don't have to leave my recliner.
mbbutler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 02:48 PM   #15
Can you run 3800 fps?

Why don't you just pull it down from the foot of the bed and stand it up? Fit the top, and stuff it back in! Geez...too many people here never had to make up a GI bunk in a crowded barracks after lights out!
SniperDroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 02:51 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobh62 View Post
Just go into it thinking of trying to give a cat a bath.
I guess I had a weird cat years ago. A huge white Persian. If it found me soaking in the tub it climbed in and floated around in the warm water with me.

Old 08-11-2020, 02:55 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
I had the same frustration with my mattress on the Murphy bed.

I finally just pulled the mattress off the foot of the bed so the far corners weren't buried in the corners. When the sheet is fitted to those corners, which are now easier to reach, I push it back in place and finish with the foot end corners.

Moving the mattress to me is a lot less work and frustration than trying to install the sheet with it in place.

I realize that every bed layout has it's own challenges but this has worked for me.
X2 for the mattress stuffed into the slide on our Jayco Jay Feather X-213. Pull the mattress off the platform a few inches, and it's much easier.
https://www.jayco.com/products/trave...-feather/x213/
2006 Ram 1500 4WD Crew with Firestone Airbags
Every weekend boondocking in the National Forests or at Lake Vallecito.
jimmoore13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 02:58 PM   #18

Slide the matress out, before you make the bed...
rowdy boys 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 03:04 PM   #19

Thanks for all the suggestions on a way to make the mattress slide easier - right now the mattress to plywood is like Velcro! As far as standing it up to make it = that would be even more of a wrestling match - it's a regular queen size so actually as tall as the ceiling and it weighs 80#. I see a lot more sweating there!

Mike - it just so happens I tossed a leftover piece of linoleum about 3 months ago that would have worked perfectly! Blame that on COVID Cleaning... We're camping this week but when I get home I'm sure I'll be able to find something.

Thanks to all for the suggestions!
Old 08-11-2020, 06:59 PM   #20

I have a CruiseLite 241QBXL and also purchased a replacement mattress. I struggle with changing the sheets. Both sides of one end are nestled between the wardrobes. I end up pulling the mattress as far back as possible and then raising it up and resting it on my knee while I struggle to get the corner of the sheet on. Once that's on I move to the other corner and do the same though the right hand corner seems easier.

I like the idea of the zipper sheet. I'll have to check that out.

2021 Nights Camped: 29 (so far)
2020 Nights Camped: 18
2019 Nights Camped: 18
MartiB is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bed