Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-23-2020, 07:56 AM   #1
Who Dares, Wins

Any experience with travel resorts of America / coast to coast

Tried the search which gave me lots of thousand Trails info.. We have that already and it works for us.

We won a "free" weekend in Gettysburg and they do the sales "tour" around the campground. Just like thousand Trails there does not seem to be much found about them or their costs.

Anyone have them or used them? Looking to see if it was useful, free (other than the membership fees like tt) or just discounted camping.

Thanks

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 12:45 PM   #2

I can only speak of my experience with Coast to Coast. Waste of money. Every time I tried to book or where, not available! Then when I did, I didn't fit. They keep sending junk and I keep throwing away. I do use KOA!
Old 05-23-2020, 04:31 PM   #3
Who Dares, Wins

Quote:
Originally Posted by A32Deuce View Post
I can only speak of my experience with Coast to Coast. Waste of money. Every time I tried to book or where, not available! Then when I did, I didn't fit. They keep sending junk and I keep throwing away. I do use KOA!
Thanks. As we've been investigating it over the past few days it does seem less and less of a deal and more of a scam..

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 06:24 PM   #4

Theu suck, i got a membership and then cancelled it...
rowdy boys 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 12:19 PM   #5

Coast to Coast

Was a member for a number of years, but found that usually not able to use it when I wanted to use it. Finally dropped it and went with Passport America - some of the same restrictions, but I've had much better luck with it.
Paul 2019 Forester, formerly 2005 Endeavor.
pbft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 01:04 PM   #6

Not worth the money and every year there is a maintenance fee. We were told all kinds of promises and when we went to use it they were booked, after spending almost 7,000 dollars. When were able to get in we were put in the overflow area.
We were on the road and tried to pull off for the night the one resort told us because it had been less than a week that we stayed at another they wouldn’t even let us stay overnight.
Now my wife has had a stroke and we can’t use our camper they want a quarter of the maintenance fee just to cancel the membership.
Camper201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 01:18 PM   #7

From what I've read, they sound a bit like a 'time share condo'.

Couldn't hurt to do a tour, just don't buy anything.
Old 05-24-2020, 02:26 PM   #8

Membership

WE "won" several free stays at "Thousand Trails" , the ones we saw in North and Central TX were worn out and filth. We left early on both. Like a time share, if you got in early might be OK. Or if you like going the same place repeatedly, not us.
If you are flexible on days you travel, I really like Passport America. We have had this and Good Sam (10% off and largest # of campsites) memberships, and we use PA frequently. Both of us are retired and try to stop @ PA locations during the week days. There are enough of these that we usually are able to find one in our chosen areas. Most are 2 to 3 nights max at 50% off. We have found many of these are smaller to mid size family owned parks. We have gotten a more personal experience. Meet some of our favorite hosts @ these. I feel these have been some of the best values and clean, friendly parks. We travel about 4 to 5 months a year.
We tried Harvest Hosts, liked it but most sites were out of the way. After the paid membership, 1 night stay is free w/ the idea that you buy some of their product. Very friendly, but not as many in the areas we traveled.
Tundra 2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 04:32 PM   #9

We listened to their sales pitch and it was quickly apparent we would not use it. We declined the offer. They immediately came up with an alternate offer for a bit less money. We declined that and, you guessed it, a third option. We finally left after they got to about their fifth option.
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 04:53 PM   #10

Campground membership / thousand trails

I would stay away it sound too good to be true and is . It’s very hard to use places, dates etc we fell for it 8k invested in their ultimate plan with the promise to have the money 💰 returned if we quit using it , I asked they said never does the company give money back !😐 plus I paid $450.00 a year dues So stay away
Big Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 10:39 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc73 View Post
Tried the search which gave me lots of thousand Trails info.. We have that already and it works for us.

We won a "free" weekend in Gettysburg and they do the sales "tour" around the campground. Just like thousand Trails there does not seem to be much found about them or their costs.

Anyone have them or used them? Looking to see if it was useful, free (other than the membership fees like tt) or just discounted camping.

Thanks
Been a Coast to Coast member for 30 years. Yea, in some of the big tourist areas during peak season it's hard to get a site, but we usually find an out of the way campground and/or don't even try during peak season. A week camping at a C to C affiliate pays the yearly dues cost.
Oafdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 11:08 PM   #12

When we got our first trailer, we used that “complementary free weekend” of camping. Waste of time. Campground was TIGHT, we could barely put our awning out, without hitting the trailer next to us. The pool was closed for maintenance (middle of summer), and there was karaoke...good Lord...it’s all you could hear all through the campground.
And of course they were trying to sell a membership...
NO THANK YOU!
Old 05-25-2020, 07:57 AM   #13

We are members of TRA and Coast to Coast and enjoy it. The campgrounds are on par with other campgrounds. Coast to Coast is hit or miss , but there are some real nice campgrounds in the selection. Yes , they are not top end RV Resorts built for 45ft DPs. But overall I find it to be a decent value. Making sure you get the 90 day reservation window is key with TRA. And like anything else , compete waste of money if not used.
EddieJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 11:28 AM   #14

TRA is a waste of money

Tags
travel