Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-27-2020, 05:30 AM   #1

Any issues traveling the interstates?

We are planning on heading back to Georgia from Yuma AZ in the next few days. Is anyone aware of any issues with rest areas being closed on the interstates or other problems we may encounter due to Coronavirus travel restrictions?

We are particularly interested in the following states: AZ, NM, TX, LA, MS, AL, GA.

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

rkulbok
(Ron & Karin)
2015 Georgetown 328TS
Full time since October 2015
rkulbok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 05:40 AM   #2
Member: Old Man Club

I think the best thing you can do at this point is check with the D.O.T. or state police of each state you want to travel to or through. (Good job for your navigator, in my case , DW) I know that recently Louisiana just issued a "stay at home" order, and recently I read that one or two states have restricted the use of rest ares to on-duty truck drivers only, but I can't recall which states these were. Might just be tollways but I'm not certain.

Update: I just discovered this. Could help you, won't hurt to look at it.
https://rvlife.com/campground-closures-2020/ (It also has info on rest areas in some states.)

2016 Ford F250 Super Duty Crew Cab, 4x4
2021 Palomino Puma 27RLSS
RockDodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 12:19 PM   #3
NXR

We came back from SW Florida Thursday - Tuesday. It was a speed limit trip the whole way including through Atlanta at 9:30 AM on Saturday. Ohio had some rest areas closed, some closed with the parking lots open and some open. I'm guessing the closures were for previously planned work.

Lots of room in the gas stations, traffic was light to moderate and we only saw one RV on I-75 and I-71 in Ohio besides ourselves.

Our last day was the first day of Ohio's "safer at home" order. We passed several state troopers and a few passed us. I suspect they ran our plate and saw we were headed in the correct direction for home.

The cops do not want to get infected either and I'm guessing they will not want to take any enforcement actions unless they absolutely have to, so don't do nuthin dumb and they'll probably leave you alone.

Ray
Old 03-27-2020, 12:34 PM   #4
Pickin', Campin', Mason

While we have not traveled the states you mentioned other than GA, we just returned to PA from wintering in FL on Interstates in FL, GA, SC, NC, VA, WV, MD and PA.

We had no issues with rest areas being open. We DID NOT use the facilities and used those in our R/V. We made lunch/snacks each night before travel and ate in the truck.

Fuel stations were open and busy and we practiced safe sanitizing at the pumps.

Traffic was normal. We expected it to be lighter but we did see LOTS of R/Vs.

While I don't advocate unnecessary travel, I don't believe there are any 'formal' interstate mandates currently in place Nationwide prohibiting someone trying to get home.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 02:04 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
While we have not traveled the states you mentioned other than GA, we just returned to PA from wintering in FL on Interstates in FL, GA, SC, NC, VA, WV, MD and PA.

We had no issues with rest areas being open. We DID NOT use the facilities and used those in our R/V. We made lunch/snacks each night before travel and ate in the truck.

Fuel stations were open and busy and we practiced safe sanitizing at the pumps.

Traffic was normal. We expected it to be lighter but we did see LOTS of R/Vs.

While I don't advocate unnecessary travel, I don't believe there are any 'formal' interstate mandates currently in place Nationwide prohibiting someone trying to get home.
I pretty much travel like you did although I never use rest area facilities. I use my TT for all my needs. I'm not a germophobe but as I gather more birthdays I don't feel like exposing myself unnecessarily to the conditions that exist in most Rest Area facilities.

For those forced to travel I'd make sure you have water in the tank and food in the refrigerator. When it's necessary to stop in most cases one can find a parking lot somewhere to stop and rest even if Rest Areas themselves are closed.

With many businesses closed there will be a lot of "paved areas" pretty much vacant and I doubt anyone will be bothered if they use a remote corner of one of those lots for a "nap".

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 04:51 PM   #6

NC issued a statewide stay-at-home order today. Not sure yet how travel will be affected.

The world is a great book, of which those who never stir from home
read only a page. - St. Augustine
mjones12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 06:18 PM   #7

The best thing you can do is stay where you are unless you HAVE to move. Many states have issued "shelter in place" orders and have closed rest areas and many campgrounds.

Why not just wait it out there where you have the services you need instead of being stuck along the way.
merrykalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 06:29 PM   #8

If you must travel, your best source of information will be the Department of Transportation website for the individual states you are going to travel through. Todays information may change tomorrow so check just before you start traveling.
Old 03-28-2020, 07:42 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjones12 View Post
NC issued a statewide stay-at-home order today. Not sure yet how travel will be affected.
This does not go into effect until 5PM Monday March 30.
Old 03-28-2020, 11:18 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkulbok View Post
We are planning on heading back to Georgia from Yuma AZ in the next few days. Is anyone aware of any issues with rest areas being closed on the interstates or other problems we may encounter due to Coronavirus travel restrictions?

We are particularly interested in the following states: AZ, NM, TX, LA, MS, AL, GA.

Thanks in advance for any feedback.
If you travel I 20 thru Shreveport, take I220 east. Its slightly longer but will not jar your innards quite as badly. First exit past Tx state line has better truck stops and cheaper fuel. Not sure if rest areas are open or not. As you approach Pines Road exit, migrate to right lane. As you pass Pines Rd, stay in second lane from right. That will put you in correct exit lane for I220. LA does have stay at home order but some are still out and about. All sit down restaurants are closed or only have take out. East of Bossier City is a state park that is closed. There will be other state parks farther east that should be open.
Good luck and safe travels.
hshaynes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 01:44 PM   #11

Don't worry about it. Gas stations are open and "going home" is essential trave.
Magdeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 02:01 PM   #12
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by hshaynes View Post
There will be other state parks farther east that should be open.

Just a little clarification to hshaynes post. All Louisiana state parks are closed to camping. They are only open for day use (hiking, walking, etc).

https://www.crt.state.la.us/news?NewsID=344

RV Life (these forums parent company) has a state by state list that may help. It can be found here

https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...ment.php?f=255

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 03:08 PM   #13

Came back from Florida a week ago, some advice:

Wash hands after gas
Have you own food and most restaurants are either closed or drive thru only

Good luck
Old 03-28-2020, 03:10 PM   #14

The compassion and fortitude of many Americans amazes me almost as much as the observation of the selfishness of the few.

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 03:20 PM   #15

Rules are changing by the hour, but the only real travel restriction is barring tourist traffic onto the Florida Keys. The president has stated that there are no foreseeable Interstate traffic restrictions. Most law enforcement agencies are not making contact with travelers. With all that information, I was still concerned about the drive. But, we were way more concerned about flying which we usually do.

Within the past week, we made a trip from Florida to Wisconsin in an SUV. DW packed breakfast and food for 4 days. We carried a porta potty and a changing tent for facilities. Used the credit card for gas and used disposable gloves and hand sanitizer at each gas stop. The only human contact was with a motel clerk for one overnight stop and that was social distancing-no breakfast in the motel. Almost 1,700 miles in two days.

Traffic on the Interstates was moving at 78-80 MPH+ including one 5ver that was pulling away from us. Truck traffic and RV traffic , for the most part, was in the 65-70 MPH range. Faster moving traffic was tolerant to trucks and RVs passing on 4-lane divided highways. So traffic was moving on a mission! We noted that even traffic in work zones (no workers present) was running 10-20 MPH over the posted limit. As always, there were a few drivers that had a death wish. Traffic running as it was, we saw one semi vs a compact side-swipe accident, several state police patrol units, and not one traffic stop in seven states. And, we had rain showers the first day and constant light rain the second day.

Most of the rest areas were open-and full. We passed on those stops. The biggest concern on travel is social distancing and sanitizing your hands when necessary. DW wife came down with a soar throat a couple of days after completing the journey. She contacted the Mayo Clinic hot line for instructions. She was advised to go to a drive-through site to get tested. Her test was negative for Covid 19. She is now over it.

It appears that lot of people want to get home or to a safer place. Drivers may be fudging on the limits, but they are also being cautious and courteous with others.

Did I mention gas prices were great?

Safe travels.
PenJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 03:34 PM   #16

I traveled from S. TX to MI 3/17 thru 3/19 with occasional 2-4 hour rest stops - traffic was light however every single rest stop and truck stop was overflowing with semis the entire way - most of time there were only 2-4 cars so even though I was towing a 5er I was able to park in several auto spots for a 2-4 hour rest or bathroom stop. Fuel stops were not a problem however if they had semi parking it was overflowing as well. Good luck and be safe!

Forest River - Rockwood
2018 Ultra Lite 2040WS 5th wh
2020 Ram 1500 Eco Diesel Curt Hitch - 392 rear end
sasch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 06:16 PM   #17

According to my neighbor, who works on the Illinois tollway, only iPass lanes are open. No attendants on duty for cash payments.
jeff64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 07:34 PM   #18

We just got home in Lodi, CA driving mostly Interstates from Ocala, Florida. The only rest areas closed were those under construction/remodeling (maybe 2 ?). In fact we boondocked in rest areas virtually the whole way.
rickwilmot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 08:00 PM   #19

On my local news tonight I-10 eastbound and I-95 southbound have stops to tell NY'ers and those from Louisiana to self quarantine for 14 days
outlawten5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 09:19 PM   #20

I drove 20 miles down I-5 this afternoon. It was like driving at 3 AM only with daylight.

Never more than a dozen cars in my field of vision, looking down the freeway as far as I could see.

As for my trip? I went to visit my Daughter and grand kids. We sat outside on her huge front porch spaced more than 6 feet apart and spread the length of the porch.

Was a bit chilly and we had to shout somewhat but at least we practiced "Safe Visiting".

Trip was "essential". I delivered some freshly smoked brisket and she gave me the 6 cans of cream of mushroom soup I asked her to look out for

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
travel