Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-18-2024, 06:06 PM   #1

Any LED lantern that gives off as much light as old Coleman lantern?

I have a Coleman propane lantern that we've probably had for 30+ years. It gives off a lot of light when you crank it up and it does it in a way that you can see your meat on the grill or the cards in your hand. I'd like to use a rechargeable LED version but so far haven't found one that gives off the same light - some are very bright but the light seems to go out & up which isn't that helpful. I did a search of the forum but most folks go the "sticking with my gas or propane version". I'd really prefer to have one less thing asking for bottles of propane

So, has anyone found an LED version (Preferably a rechargeable one) that works really well?
Only one shedding mutt now RIP Yoshi
larry2c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2024, 06:10 PM   #2

Searched for "LED Lantern"

Quote:
Originally Posted by larry2c View Post
I have a Coleman propane lantern that we've probably had for 30+ years. It gives off a lot of light when you crank it up and it does it in a way that you can see your meat on the grill or the cards in your hand. I'd like to use a rechargeable LED version but so far haven't found one that gives off the same light - some are very bright but the light seems to go out & up which isn't that helpful. I did a search of the forum but most folks go the "sticking with my gas or propane version". I'd really prefer to have one less thing asking for bottles of propane

So, has anyone found an LED version (Preferably a rechargeable one) that works really well?
https://www.amazon.com/Lantern-Flash..._id=2445458011
"Always bypass the water heater before opening the low-point drains."
Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2024, 06:19 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry-NC View Post
Actually I was hoping for a recommendation of one that somebody has used that they thought was roughly equal to the old Colemans. I've bought several "camping" lights on Amazon and they were all "in your face" lights.

I stumbled across this one while browsing and like the idea of the reflector that might get some of the light dispersed downward but there are some reviews that say it doesn't do that part of the job that well.
Old 02-18-2024, 07:17 PM   #4
D W

LED lights can be confusing. They're not all equal. They'll advertise them by the watts they require and what they're equal to in an incandescent bulb. This means nothing. You've got to understand the KELVIN scale and how it can change the color of the LEDs. Our power company gave us LED bulbs (free), to replace all of our incandescents. The bulbs were all 2700K (Kelvin), but none of them had the intensity of an incandescent. So, we went to Walmart and got some better bulbs. What a hassle! Thank the good Lord that it doesn't get dark during our camping season!
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2024, 07:31 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by D W View Post
LED lights can be confusing. They're not all equal. They'll advertise them by the watts they require and what they're equal to in an incandescent bulb. This means nothing. You've got to understand the KELVIN scale and how it can change the color of the LEDs. Our power company gave us LED bulbs (free), to replace all of our incandescents. The bulbs were all 2700K (Kelvin), but none of them had the intensity of an incandescent. So, we went to Walmart and got some better bulbs. What a hassle! Thank the good Lord that it doesn't get dark during our camping season!
AK = Endless Daylight (at least for a while!)

The light I linked actually has different "colors" which sounds good. BTW, a friend of mine was struggling trying to match stick house light temps and found some lights at either HD or Lowes that let you adjust the color\temperature What a concept!
Old 02-18-2024, 07:32 PM   #6

You may need something like an LED 'worklight' or or a grill light that focuses the light onto the cooking surface.
When possible, look for 'daylight' bulbs.
Old 02-18-2024, 07:59 PM   #7

Are you a DIY'er?
https://budgetlightforum.com/t/the-c...on-liion/31937

yukongold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2024, 08:08 PM   #8

2000 Lumens

Quote:
Actually I was hoping for a recommendation of one that somebody has used that they thought was roughly equal to the old Colemans. I've bought several "camping" lights on Amazon and they were all "in your face" lights.

I stumbled across this one while browsing and like the idea of the reflector that might get some of the light dispersed downward but there are some reviews that say it doesn't do that part of the job that well.
2000 Lumens is pretty bright. Did you consider looking up the brightness of a mantle-style gas lantern for comparison?

I guess I have to do it for you. (mumbles something about today's youth)
Quote:
Very generally speaking, if your particular lantern is about the same total brightness as a regular 120V 60 watt incandescent household bulb then it is around 850~900 lumens and if it's as bright as a basic 120V 100 watt incandescent household bulb then figure somewhere around 1600~1700 lumens.

Source[/URL]: https://www.candlepowerforums.com/th...20lumens.'

3000 Lumen, waterproof, rechargeable lantern at Amazon

2000 Lumen rechargeable lantern, 3 light modes at Amazon

3000 Lumen rechargeable lantern, 4 brightness modes at Amazon

If you have Milwaukee, Makita, or DeWalt battery-operated power tools, Amazon has 2400 Lumen, DOWNWARD-POINTING LED lanterns that accept those tool batteries.

AND THE BARGAIN: 5500 Lumen, downward pointing, rechargeable LED light for $18.99!
"Always bypass the water heater before opening the low-point drains."
Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2024, 08:14 PM   #9

Quote:

I bought one of these:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...e?ie=UTF8&th=1

Liked it well enough I bought a second.

To me it's just as "illuminating" as the old single mantle Coleman lantern without the noise, smell, or broken mantles when jarred.

These charge from a USB outlet. I can hang one on each end of the awning and illuminate a huge area. When boondocking I also use one inside as a reading light on the nightstand. It's dimmable so it works well for this as well as lighting the entire inside when "cranked up".

Right now only
$26 for one on Amazon, $44 for a pair.

When not camping they're my standby lights for the house should the main power go out (which it does on average once per year).

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2024, 08:18 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by yukongold View Post
I am and sometimes I enjoy the project more than the results! Thanks for sharing that link!

BTW - STG1 back in the day!
Old 02-18-2024, 08:22 PM   #11

Quote:
2000 Lumens is pretty bright. Did you consider looking the brightness of a mantle-style gas lantern for comparison?

Thanks for calling me young! (70 is right around the corner )

I get that brightness is a big part of it but it is also how the light is "distributed". All the LED lanterns I've bought so far ( 3 I think) seem to radiate the light straight out - horizontally. The Coleman seemed to radiate up and down as well. That makes it nice when you hang the lantern above head height and it casts the light downward.
Old 02-18-2024, 08:26 PM   #12

Quote:
Quote:
2000 Lumens is pretty bright. Did you consider looking the brightness of a mantle-style gas lantern for comparison?

Thanks for calling me young! (70 is right around the corner )

I get that brightness is a big part of it but it is also how the light is "distributed". All the LED lanterns I've bought so far ( 3 I think) seem to radiate the light straight out - horizontally. The Coleman seemed to radiate up and down as well. That makes it nice when you hang the lantern above head height and it casts the light downward.
Look at the unit I posted. It distributes light almost exactly as the Coleman, especially if you hang it from it's base using the fold-out bracket.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
Old 02-18-2024, 08:40 PM   #13

[QUOTE=TitanMike;2927362][QUOTE=larry2c;2927359]
Quote:

Look at the unit I posted. It distributes light almost exactly as the Coleman, especially if you hang it from it's base using the fold-out bracket.
I guess I jumped over your post - thanks Mike! I had seen this one on Amazon (and on some outdoor reviews) and it got my interest. Thanks for giving a "verified buyer" review! Have you used the crank to charge it? I thought that was kind of cool as well - might get one for my Mom in FL!
Old 02-18-2024, 08:42 PM   #14

[QUOTE=TitanMike;2927362][QUOTE=larry2c;2927359]
Quote:
It distributes light almost exactly as the Coleman, especially if you hang it from it's base using the fold-out bracket.
When you say hang it from its base with the bracket - is it upside down then?
Old 02-18-2024, 09:33 PM   #15

For what it's worth, this is one of the latest LED lanterns I tried. It's bright, a decent size but still, it's a straight in your face light... Oh, and not a rechargeable
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	lantern.JPG
Views:	13
Size:	27.3 KB
ID:	297084  
Old 02-18-2024, 09:41 PM   #16

We use 2 of these. Not as bright as my old Coleman propane lantern, but bright. I like the way the LEDs shine through the clear base, dispersing light straight down if desired.
The ones I have are solar only. They don't have the USB C option.
We use them all the time, inside and out. We've had them for a number of years.

https://www.amazon.com/MPOWERD-Luci-...n,aps,136&th=1
Virginian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2024, 09:44 PM   #17

Quote:
For what it's worth, this is one of the latest LED lanterns I tried. It's bright, a decent size but still, it's a straight in your face light... Oh, and not a rechargeable
Although it's body is similar, not the same. The one I posted has the led "bulb" mounted at the bottom of the light chamber and points upward. The light chamber is enclosed by a white, translucent, cover that diffuses the light.

FWIW, Coleman lanterns were pretty much "in your face" with the bright white glowing mantle right in the middle behind clear glass.

With the units I now have I personally wouldn't even consider getting a Coleman lantern again.
Old 02-18-2024, 09:56 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virginian View Post
We use 2 of these.
Interesting - thanks for the link!
Old 02-18-2024, 10:00 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
Although it's body is similar, not the same. The one I posted has the led "bulb" mounted at the bottom of the light chamber and points upward. The light chamber is enclosed by a white, translucent, cover that diffuses the light.

FWIW, Coleman lanterns were pretty much "in your face" with the bright white glowing mantle right in the middle behind clear glass.

With the units I now have I personally wouldn't even consider getting a Coleman lantern again.
Thanks for pointing out where the bulb is. Our son had an early LED lantern and it was designed to look like a Coleman lantern including the same size. It had an LED light at the "bottom" facing up and then a chrome\shiny cone in the top (smooth, not like the lantern from the link in my earlier post). That lantern really directed light downward and was great at the campsite. Unfortunately, it died and we have no idea of the brand...
Old 02-19-2024, 02:45 PM   #20

Milwaukee 2150-20, pretty similar to a Coleman, I have several of their lights including a tripod model and the under hoist one too. They seem to hold up and use a battery I have. I believe it’s 9000 lumen. Not sure what my old Coleman double mantle white gas unit is. One thing for sure it won’t burn you. Both seem to work better when elevated to keep them out of your face.
aircommuter is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
coleman, led, light