Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-21-2016, 11:40 AM   #1

Any schwintek issues out there

Has anyone else had major issues with the schwintek slide systems. I cant go out with my 5er without coming home and having too have a motor replaced. I just got back from Nascar were all my slides worked fine and got home to 2 motors not working. This will be the 5th and 6th motor issue in just over 1 year. And the thing is its never the same motors. One works using over ride and the other is just plane dead.
j free is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 03:42 PM   #2
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by j free View Post
Has anyone else had major issues with the schwintek slide systems. I cant go out with my 5er without coming home and having too have a motor replaced. I just got back from Nascar were all my slides worked fine and got home to 2 motors not working. This will be the 5th and 6th motor issue in just over 1 year. And the thing is its never the same motors. One works using over ride and the other is just plane dead.
I've had 2 factory returns to 1 slide with Schwintek slides. In 2 years, I went through 3 or 4 motors. On the second factory return, they told me that they removed the entire slide system and installed a heavier duty version of it.

I'm at the point where I'll never own another Schwintek slide.
Old 03-21-2016, 03:42 PM   #3

i have a TT with 2 slides that both use the schwintek slide systems, i've only had the TT a short time, i've had the slides in and out maybe a dozen times but seem to work well. I've seen a few vids online that they recommend holding the slide button in for atleast 3-5 seconds after the slide is fully extended and also when bringing it in, supposedly this will keep the motors in sync and if out of sync they will auto adjust during the time you hold the button in;not that this would have anything to do with your issue, just thought i'd pass that info along. I would have to assume you may have some sort of wiring/electrical issue that may be burning the motors up for that many to have stopped working.
phillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 03:45 PM   #4
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillips View Post
I've seen a few vids online that they recommend holding the slide button in for atleast 3-5 seconds after the slide is fully extended and also when bringing it in, supposedly this will keep the motors in sync and if out of sync they will auto adjust during the time you hold the button in;not that this would have anything to do with your issue, just thought i'd pass that info along.
That's a good suggestion. I hadn't known about it until a forum post last year.

My wife says she thinks our slide has stuttered once a couple of weeks ago. If it does, I'll likely seriously consider trading this camper in on something else.
Old 03-21-2016, 03:57 PM   #5

They seem to work "Better" on Small Slides! But several members have reported issues with bed room slides as well,and they are small! I would prefer a gear rack type slide! Youroo!!
Old 03-21-2016, 04:24 PM   #6

If your burning up slide motors, ask for a heavy duty motor. I went from a 300/1 to a 500/1 ratio. The slide goes in and out s l o w l y. And yes keep your finger on the button both out and on the way in. Count to four/five after the slide is out/in. View the You Tube video on how to lube the motors and what spray they recommend. The video is called: In-Wall Slide-Out System - Mechanism Lubrication

btritschler1437 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 04:47 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by btritschler1437 View Post
If your burning up slide motors, ask for a heavy duty motor. I went from a 300/1 to a 500/1 ratio. The slide goes in and out s l o w l y. And yes keep your finger on the button both out and on the way in. Count to four/five after the slide is out/in. View the You Tube video on how to lube the motors and what spray they recommend. The video is called: In-Wall Slide-Out System - Mechanism Lubrication
I have asked about going to the heavy duty motor, but was told that everything in the wall had to be replaced, not jut the motor. Shafts, gears, brackets, everything.....

Was this true for you?

2013 Forest River Salem Hemisphere SBT312QBUD

2001 CrewCab F-250 7.3 PowerStroke Diesel
SuperChip, BTS transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler
Brother Les is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 08:54 PM   #8
World Wide Wanderer

Lot's of room for errors with the Schwintek stuff. When they work they are great, when they go bad it is a major PITA.

They have to be sized properly, and installed with a very close tolerance of ±1/8" in all directions. Unfortunately many RV manufacturers have problems getting within 1/2" tolerance in many cases. The tracks need to be parallel to each other as well as within tolerance on both sides of the slide. Anything out of whack is going to cause issues. I have seen brand new units on the lot with the tracks visibly out of alignment, bad enough I don't need a tape measure to tell.

They need to be lubed regularly using CRC Power Lube w/PTFE.

My Concord has the Scwhintek slides, I measured them during PDI and they were okay. One thing I am not thrilled about is not being able to reach some of the assemblies from the inside to be able to lube them. Outside is going to have to be enough. I think the concept is great, but they need to really consider who and how they are going to be installed and maintained.

Aaron

2016 Coachmen Concord 300DS
2015 Fusion Hybrid following along
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 08:57 PM   #9
World Wide Wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother Les View Post
I have asked about going to the heavy duty motor, but was told that everything in the wall had to be replaced, not jut the motor. Shafts, gears, brackets, everything.....

Was this true for you?
Here is a link to the documentation. I would check against the parts number list to see. But I think that may be correct.

Aaron

2016 Coachmen Concord 300DS
2015 Fusion Hybrid following along
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 09:04 PM   #10

No. Prior to taking delivery of the 38CK and they could not get the bedroom slide to work on regular basis. Factory said to put three more rollers under the slide for a total of five. They then sent the 500/1 motors and were installed. The dealer is down the street from where I live, so it was easy to stop every day watch the progress. No major surgery to the slide. If you look at the You Tube video the motors don't look any bigger than the width of your hand.

btritschler1437 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 09:52 PM   #11
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother Les View Post

Was this true for you?
It was for me. They replaced everything together.
Old 03-21-2016, 11:02 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoonc View Post
Here is a link to the documentation. I would check against the parts number list to see. But I think that may be correct.

Aaron
Once you go back beyond a certain date the H bar assemblies will not accept the 500/1 motors and you have to change the entire assembly.

I put up a picture in another thread of an installation from the factory that was so out of alignment it was a miracle it even operated. It was so bad I rejected buying the unit. When you retracted the slide you could watch the whole box twist itself into the wall. As Wahoonc said the initial install and alignment is critical. I talked with an enginner at LCI and since then have looked at lots of units by all manufacturers on dealers lots. There appears to be no shortage of improperly installed slides from what I have seen. It really is a precision piece of equipment which does not lend itself to being slapped together by someone getting paid by the piece.
Mr Havercamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 01:26 PM   #13

I will check the alingnment today as for the holding the button down I was shown that at pick up and have always done this I also spray the called for lube before each trip.
I will also check on what size motor is being used on this unit. But My troubles have been with 6 different motors on 4 different slides.
j free is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 10:29 AM   #14

My MicroLite 25KS is setting in my driveway with the slide out, one side will retract but the other side will not, tried the override but only one side moves, tried running each side separately and I hear the motor running but not moving, either stripped gear between motor and gearbox or between gearbox and slide rack. I had problem with same motor last year, the magnet on the feedback to controller broke into, I used gorillia glue and reattached it. I just received new motor from EBay and will put in next weekend. I feel your pain, next unit will have different slide mechanism.
Mrpsyko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 09:18 AM   #15

Unfortunately, they all have issues, the best way to use them is expends dad's way hold that button, but as said they are just garbage on a heavy slide
My brother in law lost 3 motors in two years, has now bought a trailer without slides a little extreme but can't blame him either, there is a place for everything and a heavy slide is not one of them.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote