Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-25-2020, 09:16 AM   #1

Anyone ever seen this?

Have a question, has anyone every seen these types of bumps under wall covering?
Thinking some type of growth, but they are very hard. I have no water damage on my rig, and maintain meticulously
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	shamrock.jpg
Views:	510
Size:	95.9 KB
ID:	239917  
forrestnelsonjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 04:24 PM   #2

I have those on the back wall of my camper. Was told it was because of moisture. They were there when I bought it and they have not gotten worse. I freaked out about it when I found it.. the previous owner had tacked up a poster there so I didn't see the damage at walkthrough.

I don't trust anyone now.. learned my lesson with that one.
007matman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 05:01 PM   #3

I wonder if those bumps were the result of powder post beetles?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Powderpost_beetle
Those bugs leave eggs in the wood walls ( from infected lumber used by the builders), and at some point hatch out, usually leaving a little sawdust behind and a tiny hole in the wood.

FYI... powder post beetles exist in the oak beams of bourbon rick houses in KY... I always wondered what all of the saw dust (powder) on the floors of the rick houses were when I would go on bourbon tours. Of course the thousands of barrels are stored on strong oak shelves and are stacked many floors high. The answer to my question was always "powder post beetles and they don't hurt anything"... that is until 2 years ago when one of the Barton Bourbon warehouses fell down in 2018. In September of 2018 I was visiting the Bardstown area and happened to meet a worker from a local company that had salvaged some of the oak lumber of the fallen warehouse. He confirmed to me that many timbers were too infested and damaged with those beetles to be considered to be recycled. It was an interesting discussion I had with him and was able to share an adult beverage with him.

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 06:57 PM   #4

That is a sign of water intrusion, sorry to say. You have a leak somewhere.
Full Time in the Summer, soon
Part Time in the Winter
Days Camped, Not Enough
CZNEDY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 02:56 PM   #5

What model and year do you have for an RV? Is it still under ?
But in the meantime I've heard, like others suggested, that it is water penetration or moisture. Is this area near a window, above basement storage or door way? If so outside where those points are check the caulking or rubber gaskets for access points were it can enter in. When i had a TT every spring I'd check everything on the outside, remove and re-caulk areas that looked suspect. So much flex with these homes on wheels its not a surprise but even with all that one warm spring day opened it up to find under one window water damage. Also I read someplace that the adhesive they use to adhere the wallpaper to the walls has water in it sometimes and if its near a sunny, warm side its the water coming out of the adhesive. Others can chime in but perhaps take a hairdryer on some low heat on the spots with maybe a flat plastic object carefully run it over it see if it re-seats back down? Another thought if these are hard, sharp bumps I'd go with glue since IMHO what intrusion wouldn't harden up and if its not near a window, etc. It would be strange to have water damage away from a means to enter. Thanks and let us know what you find out and you did to resolve it.
Great Granddaughter - Cora (2 y/o)
Great Grandson - Zek (1 y/o)
Phillip (son)/Charlotte (6 y/o)
dmctlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 03:29 PM   #6
Pickin', Campin', Mason

About a year ago there were several posts with photos just like this that were found to have powder post beetle problems in the Luan.

Many had the wall/ceiling board replaced under warranty.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=64
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 03:52 PM   #7
Member since 2018

I actually created this problem in the bathroom of my Isata 3 by doing two things wrong:
1) I wasn't running the exhaust fan enough during and after a shower. If you don't you can feel moisture on the wall, which creates the bubbles.
2) I installed a towel rack on the wall allowing towels to hold the moisture against the wall.

I fixed the problem by:
1) Removing the towel rack and went to one that hangs on the door.
2) Sanded best I could to remove the bubbles and smooth the wall best I could. (Only a minor spot that isn't perfect.) Then painted the wall with Kilz and again with a semi glows paint that closely matches the wall covering from factory. Turned out great and with running the fan enough, problem solved.
jrlepin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 05:53 PM   #8

Moisture issues

When not in use, I keep a dehumidifier running in my Lexington. Figure it can't hurt and most likely helps. I run the drain hose thru a hole in the battery compartment so I don't have to empty the dehumidifier bucket. You can get a pretty good unit on Amazon for a couple hundred bucks.
Luke Moseley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 08:37 PM   #9

I have the same bumps. Had the 5er since new 2014 but they just showed up this summer. I don't see any other damage(like water stains). I would hate to sand it off and have a bigger mess. If it is from powder post beetles I will have to figure out how to stop them.
Old 09-26-2020, 09:06 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by CZNEDY View Post
X2, water intrusion. Find the problem above those bumps and fix it before it gets worse!
Old 09-26-2020, 09:13 PM   #11

I see no indication of water intrusion. Why would they be so hard ? Water is going to bubble up the paper and leave soft pockets not rock hard BB's under it.
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 10:18 PM   #12
Member since 2018

The bumps actually get hard from moisture. They didn't remain soft in my case. Again, I sanded them down and painted. Mess was minimal. It was actually easy to fix. I also had the roof inspected and looked for any possible leaks on my 2 yr old motor home. The cause was definitely moisture from the shower. And it looked just like your photo.
jrlepin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 10:39 PM   #13

Quote:
X2. Could be mould.
Palinduff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 03:50 PM   #14

Quote:
100% it is water damage. Like it or not
Primorver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 04:26 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by forrestnelsonjr View Post
Have a question, has anyone every seen these types of bumps under wall covering?
Thinking some type of growth, but they are very hard. I have no water damage on my rig, and maintain meticulously

If this is near a corner, window or door it is likely a sign of water damage, possibly caused by condensation due to the lack of ventilation. Running a dehumidifier during the high humidity season should prevent this from happening.
Cypressloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 06:21 PM   #16
Happy Keystone Owner

Looks like pine sap/pitch to me.

Years camping....55
dbarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 04:36 PM   #17
Jertan19

Quote:
Originally Posted by forrestnelsonjr View Post

I had the same thing it turned out to be water coming in around the window frame. I think you have a water problem.
jertan19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 07:12 PM   #18

Water leak.
Same problem with my previous RV. Front marker lights did not have gasket installed at factory. Problem started not long after purchasing from original owner. The front wooden frame had dry rotted before paneling started to produce the bumps. I removed and rebuilt complete front, sealing everything. It fixed problem. Always be on the lookout for any place water can penetrate. Good luck.
LACharlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 08:14 PM   #19

That is a water leak. We found those bumps on our rig just 1 week out of warranty. The bumps were located under our window of the slide-out. Like you, we take meticulous care of our rig. There was no visible place where the water could be coming in. The floor was dry. It was crazy.

Forest River was willing to replace the face wall free of charge, thankfully. Once they removed the original wall, they found that the window had not been property sealed during construction. We could not have prevented it nor could we have known it was defective. It leaked from day one.

We are deeply grateful for Forest River's willingness to help us through this deeply distressing event.
Jlb207 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 08:59 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jlb207 View Post
That is a water leak. We found those bumps on our rig just 1 week out of warranty. The bumps were located under our window of the slide-out. Like you, we take meticulous care of our rig. There was no visible place where the water could be coming in. The floor was dry. It was crazy.

Forest River was willing to replace the face wall free of charge, thankfully. Once they removed the original wall, they found that the window had not been property sealed during construction. We could not have prevented it nor could we have known it was defective. It leaked from day one.

We are deeply grateful for Forest River's willingness to help us through this deeply distressing event.
I just had the same experience and these bumps are due to a water leak. In my case the window gasket was folded over and leaked water into the wall. Forest River replaced the wall. I had asked a dealer and they did not know what it was. The tech at Forest River told me that any bumps or protrusions on a wall are due to a leak. I actually had two windows that were leaking due to bad gaskets and three dealers completely missed this fact.

2023 Jayco 195RB
wolfie53 is offline   Reply With Quote