Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-20-2015, 02:39 PM   #41

Try looking at the video's from longlonghoneymoon.com I found it very informative. For backing up tt.
JOHN M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 02:54 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinger60 View Post
We purchased our first TT in January. Got it out of storage in April and first thing took it to a empty parking lot for my husband to practice backing up. We set saw horses on each side of a parking space and I was the one trying to help him back in. I had no idea where to stand, what to tell him as far as directing him, etc. We just purchased walkie-talkies so he can hear me but I have no idea what directions to give him. When we were practicing, he had me stand on the door side of the camper but if I stand on one side of the unit, how am I going to see how things are going on the other side of the camper? We need help soon because our first camping trip is coming up next week. Would love any tips we can get on how to do it right.
Stand on the door side, that is his blind side. He can see the driver's side with his mirror and by turning his head.

Basically I just need my husband or son to tell me if I'm going to hit something, and tell me when I'm good and can stop backing in. Other than that I do these things that help me back in with little trouble:

1)Get towing mirrors that allow you to see where your trailer tires touch the pavement (AT LEAST on the drivers side, on passenger side if able).

2)Pull well past the site you are backing into. Dont be tempted to stay real close to one side or the other on the pavement. Just normally drive past the site until your trailer tires are a few feet past the entrance to the spot. You'll need those few feet to begin executing a turn in reverse.

3)Put your hand on the BOTTOM of the steering wheel and turn it in the direction you want the trailer to go. If my hand is on the bottom of the steering wheel and I turn it toward my drivers side door, the trailer will move toward my left. FYI sites on the left side of the road are a bit easier to back into as a beginner than those on the right because the driver's "good side" is the side that can be seen when angled to back in.

4)I watch my trailer tires, and keep them following the pavement as I back in. If my trailer tires are following closely the pavement on my side, it's unlikely i'm about to hit something on the other side, but still I have a spotter to be sure a tree didn't jump up and move when I began backing in.

5)Spotter says whoa with voice and a hand signal I can see in my mirrors when I should stop backing. Their job is to make sure my power and water connections are in reach of the sources, and my slide will clear any obstacles.

Sometimes my husband gets a wild hair and starts to tell me "more left, more right" etc. To that I wonder "who's left? what? huh? Am I gonna hit something? It's confusing. If he points in one direction I'll comply and steer the trailer in that direction, but other than that, my job is "back in without hitting anything where our power, water, slide, and awning will all work within reason". I don't care if I'm a little crooked on the site. This is often fixed when I pull forward onto leveling blocks anyway. I simply need my spotter to yell STOP if I"m gonna hit something. That's pretty much it.

It will take a few trips to get the feel of when the trailer begins to react to changes at the steering wheel. Each trailer is different. it might begin turning in 2 feet, or 4, or 8. Once you know how much space you need for the trailer to obey steering input, it gets much easier.
Loraura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 02:57 PM   #43
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by losttogether View Post
Few people, besides me, admit this publicly, but watching folks back into their spots is a form of entertainment!
It certainly is.

There have been many weekends that I've sat out on my deck with a cold beverage watching the weekenders backing into their sites thinking to myself how glad I am that I don't have to deal with it anymore.
Iwritecode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 03:02 PM   #44
Somewhat right of center

The wife and I use speaker phone to communicate. She knows where to stand even when I can't see her. She's checking high and low and relaying it to me......plus I get out a few times just to see how I'm doing, especially if it's a tight spot.
Old 05-20-2015, 03:05 PM   #45

One thing we had to fix...silence. I had to tell her several times to say...looks good or keep coming etc... Silence is my killer until you hear NO that's not right and start over.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 03:41 PM   #46
Boss Ox & Drovergirl

I back and park by myself. I find a) use the mirrors (adjusted as you turn and go to show the ground and tires) for about 90%. b)Then physically get out and look and make your own determination. c) I do this maybe 2 times and it's spot on. I've backed our TT onto 2x8's from a 90 degree angle the first time within 4 inches of our deck without having to readjust.
No matter how good our communication relationship is, I find it better to see for myself.

Nothing replaces practice, practice, and practice except experience, experience, experience.
1992 Goldwing Aspencade
oxcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 03:41 PM   #47

Trailer Backing Hand Signals

Attached RV hand backing signals are a great way of communicating.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf RV Trailer Hand Signals for Backing.pdf (225.5 KB, 65 views)
glendodom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 03:56 PM   #48
Boss Ox & Drovergirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by glendodom View Post
Attached RV hand backing signals are a great way of communicating.
#EXCELLENT reference!
1992 Goldwing Aspencade
oxcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 04:08 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxcamper View Post
I back and park by myself. I find a) use the mirrors (adjusted as you turn and go to show the ground and tires) for about 90%. b)Then physically get out and look and make your own determination. c) I do this maybe 2 times and it's spot on. I've backed our TT onto 2x8's from a 90 degree angle the first time within 4 inches of our deck without having to readjust.
No matter how good our communication relationship is, I find it better to see for myself.

Nothing replaces practice, practice, and practice except experience, experience, experience.
^^This. Nothing but practice will will gain you a feel for backing up. Granted I used to drive truck, but when I show up by myself and some well meaning camper offers to help "guide me in" I always decline. It is good to have a second set of eyes to make sure you dont hit anything but the maneuvering should be up to the driver. I usually get out and check a couple times to see for myself. When I see a wife, guiding her husband back into the site when the husband is not skilled it usually ends up in a fight. Campsites are easy. You need skills for parking lots, gas stations, etc... You should not be out on the road if you are not confident in your abilities.
wind and waves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 04:38 PM   #50
Moderator Emeritus

I'm retired military and it was quite comical trying to teach my very civilian wife military backup hand signals!!

I just have her stand on the side that I cannot see, way back near the end of the trailer, and she calls me on the iPhone and I have mine on speaker so it's on the truck speakers. (So if I'm backing to the right, the passenger side, she'll stand on the left side and keep me from hitting stuff.)

But even with our method, I find myself getting out of the truck quite a lot because I usually hear..."STOP...come and look"
8-year Travel Trailer RVers
2013 Forest River Rockwood Ultra-Lite 2904SS
2014 Toyota Tundra Maxcrew SR-5 TRD 4x4 (with Firestone airbags in the rear)
ColoradoRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 04:50 PM   #51

Backing up a TT

For some its natural, for some its not no matter the practice, in this case get a back up camera to help you. For me I call my wife on the cell, and with my hand on top of the bottom of the steering wheel so that I Turn the opposite without thinking instead of turning normally at the top, on top of the steering wheel. She will direct me turn driver or turn passenger depending on the way I need to park. When I'm alone, just have to take it slow and get out and check surrounding in a cramped area or site. If I got room then just take it slow and use your mirrors and you should do just fine. Get out if you need to check just to be sure. Its also good to do a little practicing in a large parking lot and some orange traffic cones to practice backing into a spot that is tight.
When about to back into a spot on my ledft I start to the right of the "street" and turn towards my space then away as I pull forward to help line up the rearend close to the site I want to pull into making sure to pass it slightly, then I move my hand to the top of the bottom of the steering wheel after disabling my brake boost ( does not apply to all unless to have a trailer brake controller) and cautiously begin backing up my rig facing the rear, looking over my shoulder. In tight spots I recommend a spoter or back up cams if you got the money, to make sure your going in straight. You may need to pull forward and straighten the rig, but in the end you can get into most spots without to much back and forth.
Always make sure of obstacles in your path such as trees or low hanging wires, etc. Make sure you clear all them around and above. The main thing is practice, practice, and, practice some more.
Once your straight and where you want to park it, check the level of the TT and add your leveling blocks as needed to level the left to right, the unhook and level with the jack front to back, then drop your stabilizers to the ground adding wood or leveling blocks as needed. Hope this makes sense to someone and helps them, happy travels and God Bless.
george6robles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 07:20 PM   #52

Back up very slowly and turn the steering wheel very little. Get use to use your side mirrors. Practice getting the truck/trailers in a straight line and backing up on s straight line. Backing up into a site that sometimes is a empty field is helped by putting up orange cones but I use 4 big orange plastic stakes bought at Home Depot. Helps me a lot. When I back up I always keep stakes in view of one mirror or the other. I did s lot of practice in parking lots after hours and weekends. I asked a seasoned RV'er to guide me and give me tips. Saved my marriage.
robbdrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 07:55 PM   #53

GOAL is the first thing to do. If you want to go left, turn right, etc. First time just walk it through slowly. Always know someone else is always looking (and laughing). Get over it! Cell phone is better but if you can't see her STOP! Figure which way you like to back up better -from the driver's side or the passenger. I like the driver's side best. I also like to get the longest approach I can to adjust but sometimes that just isn't good enough or possible. Even if its a pull through or drive through, you still have to get enough swing to be straight. If all else fails, be the first folks to get there and take your time.
DrippingDuo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 09:05 PM   #54

You folks with using cell phones must not camp where I camp. I have been to very few NP/SP that have cell coverage. My trailer isn't that long and I have been backing trailers into ridiculous locations for a lot of years, so I will pass anyway.
madmaxmutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 09:33 PM   #55

My wife and I have hand signals worked out and have used the same ones for years. So on our first trip this year this past Sunday she was guiding me and doing a great job. I was backing into a space with plenty of room and she was directing me I made a final check of my drivers side mirror and then looked back to the other side to see her in the mirror and she was swinging both arms wildly!! Needless to say I hit the brakes hard put it in park and jumped out to see what was the issue. When I got to the back of the 5er she was still swinging her arms wildly so I ask what the heck was she doing she replied don't you see all these nats they are all over me!!
KEG_75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 09:43 PM   #56

Look at this website and watch the informative videos they have. This should help alot for anyone having problems backing up their TT or FW.

http://www.campingroadtrip.com/outdo...p-a-rv-trailer
Nights Camped 2023 = 30
Nights Camped 2022 = 40
jtatum65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 09:58 PM   #57

Can't help much on this one I usually do most of it alone unless there is something behind the trailer that I can't see and all I get there is "stop". I do like the idea of using cell phones communicate, Definitely keep where the driver can see you, make sure your right and his are the same, keep things simple and don't give too many directions stay calm.
Old 05-20-2015, 10:07 PM   #58

Keep a flash light handy. After I survey the site for limbs, poles, hookups etc... I tell her where I want the back of the trailer to be and where I want to be left and right. I'll have her stand on the inside of the truck meaning if I'm turning the wheel right (moves the front of the truck left) I have her stand on the drivers side of the truck. That way I can see her. At night, I just have her shine a flash light at the ground towards the truck. Gives me enough light to see where I'm going. Also, if you don't have mirrors that extend out, buy add ons. 8' wide trailer and 6 foot wide truck, you can do the math.

Most important, don't be afraid to look foolish. I have been pulling campers, boats, jet skis, and every type of trailer since before I had a drivers license and even I have to pull up and straighten up several times occasionally.
Maxhise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 10:12 PM   #59

I have relegated Susie to chatting with any neighbors while I back the 30 ft. Surveyor into the site, with frequent get out and see how your doing and a mental picture look, as suggested by " Pvillebley"( Sound advice ). I also made rule number 1, Thou shall not back in after dark with two maple trees on either side of the site pad. I finally got in after a kind hearted Canadian put his Molson down, stifled his laughter and by standing on the drivers side where I could see him in my mirror, backed me in with two commands. He was humored by Susie standing no where that I could see her, swinging her flashlight back and forth with advice on backing that made no sense and I could not hear. Love her dearly for 50 years, but she will not back me in again after rapping my bicycle around a 4x4 site number post. That and ruining a front tire that was torn by a fire ring was the end of her backing me into tight spots and that was the most serious backing damage.

Thankfully the Surveyor is still in good shape and damage free after our first two years of being on the road. I'll save the story about picking up the Surveyor, after an internet buy, in Islip Long Island and making a wrong turn ending up with 70 ft. of truck and trailer with Ma & Pa "Kettle" negotiating lower Manhattan streets, to get back on I80 west to PA.

This is a great site and we really enjoy our informative evening email readings from all of you. God Bless our troops, past and present, fly Old Glory and have a safe and enjoyable Memorial Day!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Sampson & Reunion 8152013 166.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	452.9 KB
ID:	77571  
2014 Sebastian Charleston,SC to Finger Lakes, Lake Erie, Lake Cowanesque,PA and home
2015 Sebastian to PA,NY,WI,MN,return to NY and home
2016 GA,SC,NC,TN,KY,OH,PA,NY,to Sebastian,FL
WSY DD693 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 03:49 AM   #60

We have a different wrinkle on the Walkie Talkies, my wife phones me and both phones are put into speaker-phone mode . I put mine on the dash as she instructs me.
The hands on the steering wheel bottom is a tool taught me by an old trucker and works great once practiced.
Good camping,
Tinker Toy
TinkerToy is offline   Reply With Quote