Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-14-2018, 05:37 AM   #1

Anyone Know How To Remove Radio ?

Hi!
I have a 2015 Wolf Pup 17RP toy hauler...It's a great little trailer for the price, but I want to upgrade a few items.

I noticed last summer the the CD player stopped working and when I got it out of storage a couple weeks ago I noticed that the digital display isn't working. I'm not a big fan of the radio anyway so I want to replace it. I can't figure out how to remove it...anyone have instructions on how to do so ?

Thanks !
CobraGT40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 05:41 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

What model Radio? If you’re not sure, you can post a picture. That’ll help us know how to help.

If it happens to be a Genesis GT-2.0, then there are trim pieces that snap off on either side of the radio, exposing the screws that holds it in.
Old 05-14-2018, 06:16 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaadk View Post
What model Radio? If you’re not sure, you can post a picture. That’ll help us know how to help.

If it happens to be a Genesis GT-2.0, then there are trim pieces that snap off on either side of the radio, exposing the screws that holds it in.

I think its a Linear Series RV4000 ? I can't find the owners manual. The quality is pretty shoddy...
Old 05-14-2018, 06:23 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by CobraGT40 View Post
I think its a Linear Series RV4000 ? I can't find the owners manual. The quality is pretty shoddy...

Ok, that helps. Does it look like this?

If so, this link seems to have a user manual:

http://magnadyne.com/linear-series-r...ower-receiver/

In that, it includes installation instructions that indicate there’s a trim ring around the unit that comes off.
Old 05-14-2018, 07:39 AM   #5

Yep! That's the one... I was able to find the owners manual and it looks like the outer trim piece comes off to reveal the screws. Looks like it'll be an easy swap...all the speaker/power wires are clearly marked.

The $59 JVC CD/MP3 player I installed on my hot tub is far better quality than this RV unit. ;-)
Old 05-14-2018, 07:40 AM   #6

Much obliged ! I'll post pics when I get the new unit installed. I'll probably put a better quality AC unit in as well.
Old 05-14-2018, 07:59 AM   #7

Are you going with another rv type radio or going to a car stereo ? Im leaning towards going to a decent car stereo and upgrading the speakers .

TV:GMC 2500HD Duramax
TT: 2015 Wildwood 21rbs
510Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 09:31 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 510Rick View Post
Are you going with another rv type radio or going to a car stereo ? Im leaning towards going to a decent car stereo and upgrading the speakers .

I'm probably going to go with an aftermarket unit with built in bluetooth...The only thing is, the camper has indoor and outdoor speakers. I'd like to find a stereo with A, B or AB speaker options.
Old 05-14-2018, 09:52 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I'm probably going to go with an aftermarket unit with built in bluetooth...The only thing is, the camper has indoor and outdoor speakers. I'd like to find a stereo with A, B or AB speaker options.
Might be able to find a 'rear zone' option. Back when I had my Pioneer AVIC-Z1 this was available, for outputting the DVD to the backseat while the main speakers would run driver-safe sources, like the radio. I always figured if the GT-2.0 in the Flagstaff ever gave up the ghost I'd replace it with something like that. That way, I could still listen to the radio outside when the kids were watching a DVD inside.
Old 05-14-2018, 05:08 PM   #10

Home theater

Quote:
Originally Posted by 510Rick View Post
The stereo in our 2007 Cherokee is right next to the shelf for the TV. I put a 5.1 channel home theater under the TV and connected it to the interior trailer speaker. It has FM and 5.1 audio from the TV and CD/DVD, Aux In for playing from from phones/iPods, and a USB slot for playing audio or showing photos.

The original stereo is still installed and can play AM/FM/Weather channel through the outside speakers (B channel). It also has Aux in for playing from phones/iPods, and Aux out.

If I cared to, I could spend a minute or two and connect the the home theater's Aux Out to the original stereo's Aux in, and play the home theater outside. And another minute or two to connect the original stereo's Aux Out to the home theater's Aux In to play the console's audio inside. I haven't done these two simple mods because I don't think DW could get the settings straight and audio isn't a big thing with me.

Larry
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 05:19 PM   #11

Love the Bluetooth option. I can sit outside (or inside) and wirelessly play all my music that's on my phone, and even control the volume from the phone. This is through a Jensen unit on the RV.

The world is a great book, of which those who never stir from home
read only a page. - St. Augustine
mjones12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 05:57 PM   #12
Bene Gesserit Rule

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaadk View Post
Ok, that helps. Does it look like this?

If so, this link seems to have a user manual:

Linear Series RV4000 | Wall Mount AM/FM/CD High Power Receiver

In that, it includes installation instructions that indicate there’s a trim ring around the unit that comes off.
Pretty easy. Pry off the surround to expose the mounting screws. You will probably have to cut-n-join the wires because this radio has custom plugs for the connections. No big deal. They are easily identified.

I swapped mine for an Alpine car radio with DVD player and made the new mounting plate to fit the original surround.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TV & Radio 2.jpg
Views:	266
Size:	713.1 KB
ID:	171840  
Murbella7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 08:42 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murbella7 View Post
Pretty easy. Pry off the surround to expose the mounting screws. You will probably have to cut-n-join the wires because this radio has custom plugs for the connections. No big deal. They are easily identified.

I swapped mine for an Alpine car radio with DVD player and made the new mounting plate to fit the original surround.

Thanks! This is probably the option I'll go with, should be straightforward
Old 05-14-2018, 09:38 PM   #14

our stereo was toast. We installed this one, it works great and has A B & C speaker outputs

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...tereo&_sacat=0
Old 05-15-2018, 01:20 AM   #15
Bene Gesserit Rule

Quote:
Thanks! This is probably the option I'll go with, should be straightforward
Because you will have to cut wires to make the new connections, it will give you the chance to swap some around to make speaker selection more logical, at least that was what I needed to do. It will certainly stop the outside speakers from continually failing (a fault with the radio not the speakers or wiring).
Murbella7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
radio