Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 07-21-2020, 08:47 PM   #21

I think changes are happening and we’re far from seeing the end to changes in price/numbers of folks/rvs and availability. Like it or not the wild spots we have to ourselves scenario is fast ending. I know I can’t change things so I’ll either adapt or stay home. Don’t necessarily like it, but it is what it is.
Old 07-21-2020, 10:13 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by walaby View Post
I think you're asking too much for all that at a price less than $30. Some exist here and there, but likely not in the areas where people like to vacation.

I have experienced what you describe, at a COE park, but it was middle of Louisiana and certainly not a tourist stop. Beautiful lake front spot, Electric and water (not full hookup, but dump station), huge spots, lots of room between, concrete patio, crushed gravel spot, super level, beautiful view. Less than $30.

I think one of the best deals out there are the COE parks. But, on average what you're looking for is not easy to find.

Mike

This reminds me of Twin lakes on lake hartwell. We were just there a couple of weeks ago. Awesome spot. You are probably close...I would check it out.
Old 07-22-2020, 12:18 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igave View Post
I think changes are happening and we’re far from seeing the end to changes in price/numbers of folks/rvs and availability. Like it or not the wild spots we have to ourselves scenario is fast ending. I know I can’t change things so I’ll either adapt or stay home. Don’t necessarily like it, but it is what it is.
Times, they are a changin... RV parks can set their price due to supply and demand. The RV business is booming.

My BIL and his DW buy and sell RVs on eBay. They have relationships with several large RV dealers in Florida. He told me today that two things are going on. First, there are few trades. First time buyers, no trade. Second, when there is a trade the amount they have to bid is very high and sometimes higher than book retail.

He went to LaMesa RV in Port St. John today. He said they only had 51 new units on the lot when they normally have 200+.

Just need to plan ahead but prices are definitely on the rise...

2016 Siverback 33IK, Towed 50K+ mile
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7L V8 Diesel 4WD Crew Cab

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there."
Old 07-22-2020, 01:04 AM   #24

I'll agree with the OP. Between private and COE parks, more often than not, the COEs are the nicer choice. Even better for me, I have a senior lifetime America the Beautiful pass and get half off at the COEs. Granted that I wish more of the COEs had water or FHU, but then again a huge, gorgeous lakefront site for $15 per night?
S.E. Mich. Flagstaff 26FKWS / 2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost SCrew Propride
Old 07-22-2020, 06:32 AM   #25
Member: Old Man Club

Never fear folks, the gems are out there. We just came back from a week at Indian Lake State Park in Lakeveiw, OH. For $26 a night I got a 50' concrete slab, sewer, water, and 50 amp service, under a big shade tree, and a wonderful view of the lake (right in front of me). I was sure that for that price I would be in the weeds or a mudhole, so needless to say I was surprised. Of course, the office and the facilities were closed due to Covid, but there were park workers and rangers patrolling. I was impressed to say the least. I will go back there again.

2016 Ford F250 Super Duty Crew Cab, 4x4
2021 Palomino Puma 27RLSS
Old 07-22-2020, 06:54 AM   #26
D W

Quote:
Originally Posted by whj469 View Post
Haven't seen that with prices like that in many years. Yes you are asking to much.
X2. Those $30 sites probably existed 35 years ago, but not today. If you were to find a CG with those amenities at that price in this day and age it would most likely be booked solid for the next 5 years with hundreds on a waiting list waiting for cancellations!
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
Old 07-22-2020, 07:22 AM   #27

If what I saw last week...Thurs or Fri on the world news, the RV industry has already seen an 130% increase this year. CG's are watching this and know they can charge whatever they want and people will pay. New CG opened this summer at a State Rec area this summer. Early spring it was advertised at $25/night full hookup. It opened the end of June due to covid and at a cost of $45/night. CG's been FULL everyday.
Old 07-22-2020, 08:42 AM   #28

I know my “wants” are not realistic....But I do think that mid missouri and Illinois offers fantastic values at COE and some state parks that check all the boxes and have us spoiled to a large degree.....and for less than 30 per night. Again,just a vent....but as an example to clarify my rant the photo comparison below: top site is 28 per night includes a massive paved site, full hookup, zero gravel and water front and the bottom is over 70 per night and billed as extremely spacious, secluded and “deluxe” with patio.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6334.JPG
Views:	153
Size:	468.1 KB
ID:	234494
Nights Camped 2016: 32
Old 07-22-2020, 08:55 AM   #29
I Break Everything

You had me until under $30.00. You get what you pay for. It's not cheap to keep up everything you ask for. You basically said it in your post. It is up to the park owner to keep things, "fixed" or working, but it's also up to the bone head that wipes and leaves toilet paper on the floor, trashes common areas, or walks through your site. It's not cheap dealing with human beings. You may have to ante up. Some of our favorites are just what you mention, but run $60-$100 a night. There are some state parks and COE parks that are cheaper, but I'm not really a "camper" per se. I do occasionally enjoy dirt, weeds, and loads of people crowding state parks on the weekends, but not often. Those exclusive, concrete, by the lake, distanced from neighbor parks usually aren't cheap and in Texas require months long reservations.

2015 Georgetown Forest River 351DS Class A
2008 Keystone Cougar 293SAB 5th Wheel
2007 Jay Flight 30.5RLS 5th Wheel
2006 Jay Flight 29BHS TT
Old 07-22-2020, 10:19 AM   #30

Finding water front full hookups is hard. I’ve never found a full hook up next to a lake or steam. Most water front sites are W/E only.
I think it’s a DEP issue / guidelines that prevent full hookups next to waterways.
Old 07-22-2020, 10:53 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryand View Post
I know my “wants” are not realistic....But I do think that mid missouri and Illinois offers fantastic values at COE and some state parks that check all the boxes and have us spoiled to a large degree.....and for less than 30 per night. Again,just a vent....but as an example to clarify my rant the photo comparison below: top site is 28 per night includes a massive paved site, full hookup, zero gravel and water front and the bottom is over 70 per night and billed as extremely spacious, secluded and “deluxe” with patio.Attachment 234494
Having recently moved to Columbus, OH from the STL area I do miss the MO State Parks. OH has several very nice parks too, but MO parks are a better value. Especially when you get into the Ozarks. From what I have seen outside of MO we were spoiled on price there.

2022 Grand Design Imagine 2800BH
2020 Rockwood Roo 19 (Sold Jul 2022)
2012 F150 SuperCrew Ecoboost
Old 07-22-2020, 11:52 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWolfPaq82 View Post
If what I saw last week...Thurs or Fri on the world news, the RV industry has already seen an 130% increase this year. CG's are watching this and know they can charge whatever they want and people will pay. New CG opened this summer at a State Rec area this summer. Early spring it was advertised at $25/night full hookup. It opened the end of June due to covid and at a cost of $45/night. CG's been FULL everyday.
Can't speak specifically about this or other campgrounds but I do have knowledge of what Covid has done to business expenses.

My Son has his own business and has been handed a huge list of actions he has to take in order to stay open (he's been open all along as an essential service business). It covers everything from his office and work space as well as what his employees have to do as they interact with customers.

All these rules and regulations add time and expense to the cost of operation. I would imagine that campgrounds have similar new rules/regs and may have to add extra employees just to sanitize many things before the next camper can check in.

It's also possible that the increased rate was due to a delayed opening and the fact that bank loan interest just kept adding up.

It's been over 17 years since I last stayed in a hotel of any kind, roadside or resort. I'll bet they cost a lot more today than the last time I stayed in one. Why would it be different in campgrounds with more than a dirt pad and campfire ring? The more that's added, the more it will cost.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
Old 07-22-2020, 01:46 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryand View Post
Thanks for your input....not stepping into this pile with you because what you read and what I typed are two different things. Please get off your ivory tower and consider the fact you do not know anything about my family, what we have done for this pandemic and what we have sacrificed for the betterment of society. I’m with you by the way...my wife is in healthcare and we are very in-tune with this situation. Good luck and wash your hands. However, I suppose I have invited this on myself....
Glad you made the trip! Some people are not happy unless they make others as miserable as they are!
We never go during summer peak season with kids out of school. Come September we will be mostly on the road again until June. It helps that we live at the beach. I've not been in any KOA that was not overpriced, last resort~ I've stayed in two for 1 night each in the last 28 years. I have a list of great CGs under $32 a night and around $475 monthly. The resort we spend winter in is $1990 monthly plus electric on the 3 month rate so just over $6K but worth it.
Old 07-22-2020, 04:31 PM   #34

We are pretty simple people we like the high end RV parks all the way to remote facilities. We love them all, the baths and showers we never see thats why we have or own. I like a level spot grass, rock, concrete it really doesnt matter to us. We crawled out of a tornado house with nothing left so we dont get to hung up on stuff. We feel blessed but with that said we all like different things. Safe and happy travels to all.
Old 07-22-2020, 05:26 PM   #35

Most regular "non" hookup sites in Colorado run $24 to $35 bucks. Electric ads another $10 bucks, and full hookups run $45 and up. Yet you can use forest service "dispersed" camping for free, but there's no water or dump.
That's Colorado. You also have to buy a per day park pass, or annual pass if you camp enough in the state to justify it. That can run $70-80 bucks a year.
On top of that, if you choose a Forest Service area campground you will have to buy their daily or annual pass also. (I 'm not sure how much that one is these days as haven't stayed in any FS campgrounds the last few years). I've had some very negative experiences with the private contractors that run many of those (Forest Service) facilities these days.

Don't confuse "dispersed" camping with Forest service campgrounds. Different situation.
Camping ain't cheap!

2016 Boston Whaler Montauk 150
Former Montana owner
Colorado Cruiser, Over the Pass and Down the Hill
Old 07-22-2020, 06:01 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockDodger View Post
Never fear folks, the gems are out there. We just came back from a week at Indian Lake State Park in Lakeveiw, OH. For $26 a night I got a 50' concrete slab, sewer, water, and 50 amp service, under a big shade tree, and a wonderful view of the lake (right in front of me). I was sure that for that price I would be in the weeds or a mudhole, so needless to say I was surprised. Of course, the office and the facilities were closed due to Covid, but there were park workers and rangers patrolling. I was impressed to say the least. I will go back there again.

Lol. I stayed there one time at the end of October....it was payable by the honor system. It was funny to me.
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Old 07-22-2020, 07:24 PM   #37
Flyboy1950

Use of Acronyms and abbreviations ☹️

I’ve been an River since 1989 and I’ve been a member of this forum now for several years now, but there isn’t a day that goes by when I’m reading this forum that somebody isn’t using acronyms that I’ve never heard of. Ya know, you can’t just Google “COE” or FHU” to find out what the heck you guys are talk into about. If so many participants are going to be using acronyms That are so unique, it might be best if there was an acronym guide on the forum where these were defined! Just sayin’
Old 07-22-2020, 09:44 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sbosserman View Post
I’ve been an River since 1989 and I’ve been a member of this forum now for several years now, but there isn’t a day that goes by when I’m reading this forum that somebody isn’t using acronyms that I’ve never heard of. Ya know, you can’t just Google “COE” or FHU” to find out what the heck you guys are talk into about. If so many participants are going to be using acronyms That are so unique, it might be best if there was an acronym guide on the forum where these were defined! Just sayin’

I was thinking the same thing thanks for saying it.
Old 07-23-2020, 12:15 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike134 View Post
I was thinking the same thing thanks for saying it.

https://www.ourcrazyadventurouslife.com/single-post/2015/09/02/COMMON-RV-ABBREVIATIONS-AND-ACRONYMS

Googled "rv acronyms"
Old 07-23-2020, 02:36 AM   #40

I would prefer to camp in nature and with more privacy than a pricy, narrow patch of asphalt with hookups and my Dish satellite TV. BUT, camping based on the weather conditions is a top priority for me. Boondocking is great if the weather is mild. Having electricity instead of running a noisy generator if it is very hot and running the a/c all day, or on very cold winter nights where I want to plug in my small heater( preferred over running the furnace.) I Boondocked last week at a picturesque lake and it was miserably hot, close to 100 degrees. I had to use my 12v fan & other built in fans all day, intermittently with running the generator. I was asking myself why I didn’t just stay home with my a/c and pool after I waited for 27 hrs. to get my flat tire fixed at my remote campground.
Closed Thread

Tags
campground, led, mpg