Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 07-23-2020, 07:04 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryand View Post
Perfect campsite is lake side, paved including patio so shoes are optional, full hookups, isolated from others, wonderful views and less than $30 a night.
Paved, with full hook-ups and isolated from others? We must have different definitions of isolated.
Old 07-23-2020, 07:44 AM   #42

I see RV campgrounds here in NM that are just parking lots with water and electric hookups. They look like a Camping World. I assume all of those people are extroverts, who love meeting new people.

We camp in the same areas with no hookups, and aren't 10' apart and have nice views. With our Senior Pass, we get 1/2 price at all Federal campgrounds. The tradeoff is taking a generator if we need AC, and carrying extra water. We camp out west and go to the mountains in the summer, so we don't need AC. My solar panels provide the electric. Most places in the Southwest, we can dump our grey water anywhere. When we camp near a lake, we pump our grey water into a waste tank in the truck and hauled it somewhere away from lakes and streams. Our Roo accomodates 6 people comfortably, and is small enough to camp almost anywhere. We've camped a week with 6 people without dumping the black tank.

We stayed in a decent hotel a few years ago for $49 a night. I can't imagine paying that for an RV parking space.

To each his own.

This is us near Goblin State Park, Utah.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	41D37888-7823-4400-A2A8-5FC205D3F9E5.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	306.7 KB
ID:	234564  
Old 07-23-2020, 07:46 AM   #43

I personally think that we are all spoiled and that's not a bad thing. Camping is very different than when we started back in 1985. At least camper / RVs are. Campgrounds have changed too (or at least RV Parks).

$30 is becoming a scarce thing those that have those places that are available, great. $100 a night campgrounds are becoming more common. Supply and demand, rural areas less money. Want to be at the beach? Within walking distance from the ocean? $100 parks are becoming more common.

RV parks have to pay for their upkeep, labor, taxes, mortgage, utilities and so on. One park we go to has nearly 500 employees to pay in the summer. So as their costs increase so do their sites. Taxes, wages, utilities, etc. go up, so does what we pay for a site.

It is a good thing that everyone has different tastes and likes.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Old 07-23-2020, 09:31 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by howie70 View Post
Paved, with full hook-ups and isolated from others? We must have different definitions of isolated.

To clarify, slightly wrong word choice....”separated” from people (and their sites). The place I am currently at describes their deluxe patio site as spacious and secluded. By definition it appears this means each site is 8’ from the adjacents sites sewer dump in the sand and mud.
Nights Camped 2016: 32
Old 07-23-2020, 09:38 AM   #45
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryand View Post
Its been awhile since I last posted here so forgive me for injecting this topic for my return back but it's currently the situation we have found ourselves in and I wont name any campground names but will give generalized locations....This is only a vent session!!!!
First off, we are from the St. Louis area and there are many, many State and COE options within a 2-5 hour radius from home that we spend time at. We normally take one big trip a year consisting of multiple weeks while the kids have time off in the summer. This year we elected to head north into Door County WI, Then into the UP of Michigan and then down near Torch Lake in Michigan and Traverse City. Even on the big trips we try and stay with federal and corps/state parks when we can. We are on the final leg of our trip and staying at a private campground and yet again have found ourselves disappointed with the facility, sites and the cost. The online reviews of this place are glowing....95% positive but yet we all feel underwhelmed based on what we are used to. Its hard to stomach hotel room prices (Before covid, Hotel travel was my work life)per night to be 10' from my neighbor, dirt and sand/mud sites, laundry rooms that smell like sewage and so on. There are so many people here that makes me think we are the minority. I think my expectations are too high. Perfect campsite is lake side, paved including patio so shoes are optional, full hookups, isolated from others, wonderful views and less than $30 a night. I think I am asking too much. I have constantly been disappointed with private campgrounds that over promise and under deliver. With that said, we are having a great time and have gotten to do some neat and different things on this trip. I would highly recommend Michigan's UP its a wild unlike anything we have experienced.
RYAND: Just a thought, You should post your review on RV Trip Wizard...it would be helpful for us who are traveling in that area or planning a trip through the area.
Old 07-23-2020, 09:42 AM   #46

I know that this topic has touched a bit of a nerve with some, understand that when I wrote it I was a bit angry (we had suffered a blowout along the way, reached into my pocket for an extra 1,000 for new tires and stabilizers that’s I destroyed pulling off the highway time lost and so on) now have a damaged trailer that is on its second season that looks like crap and pulling into our last stop of the trip that in my opinion was a way oversell was a bit of a letdown. Dealing with the dirt, sand, neighbors 8’ away, staff golf carts buzzing about including cutting through our “site” has me a bit angry given the circumstances and at over $700 for the week. Anyhow I think what I wanted to say and vent to everyone is the current acceptance of increasing costs while decreasing the value across all aspects of RV’ing. From the campgrounds overselling things, to the manufacturers spinning cheap poorly made parts and units as quality. Judging by the amount of problems reported, blowouts happening and crappy private campgrounds still operating it appears that many are ok with it all. I think my expectations are too high....Or I’m just a tough customer.
Old 07-23-2020, 09:47 AM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by MainelyUS View Post
RYAND: Just a thought, You should post your review on RV Trip Wizard...it would be helpful for us who are traveling in that area or planning a trip through the area.

I will once we depart.
Old 07-23-2020, 10:29 AM   #48

Spaces at private campgrounds are getting tight. I’m noticing the pull through sites have less grass areas between sites. The back in sites have more space between each site.
We try to use google satellite view to help view our site before booking, also selecting a end site so nobody is next to us on one side. More road noise and dust if the place is busy.
We look for campgrounds without pools and playgrounds, the cost seams to be lower and less kids.
Selecting campgrounds can be a job if your looking for a good site. We also try visiting campgrounds when traveling and marking up the camp map for sites we like for future trips.
Sorry to here about your issues, hope you enjoy the rest of your trip without any more issues.
Just remember tire issues are mainly caused by overloading, over inflation, under inflation and slow leaks which creates heat and blow outs. Upgrading you load range on your tires is alway a good move.
Old 07-23-2020, 11:10 AM   #49

We are fortunate in our area(s) as most COE/BLM/whatever the local lake or river calls it in that the camp areas are large. We have to sometimes seek a campsite to group camp as the sites are farther away than we want them. Problems. Problems.
I talk bad about NE Texas and SW Arkansas, but it really is a pretty area in most cases. The worst part about this area is the heat and humidity combination. Even with A/C sometimes it is a struggle... Maybe I am just spoiled.
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Old 07-23-2020, 11:13 AM   #50
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sbosserman View Post
I’ve been an River since 1989 and I’ve been a member of this forum now for several years now, but there isn’t a day that goes by when I’m reading this forum that somebody isn’t using acronyms that I’ve never heard of. Ya know, you can’t just Google “COE” or FHU” to find out what the heck you guys are talk into about. If so many participants are going to be using acronyms That are so unique, it might be best if there was an acronym guide on the forum where these were defined! Just sayin’
We do have one.

https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...sms-50510.html
Old 07-23-2020, 12:05 PM   #51
waybeck2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by boondocking View Post
Grandkids are precious and no expense spared when it comes to treating them.

Our grandson is as precious to us as anyone's grandchild, BUT, there is a time to teach them responsibility, and that the world does not revolve around them alone. Our grandson has seen and experienced so many good things over the past 10 years that so many children never see/do. Smithsonians, Liberty Bell, etc, the beach and the list goes on. He is allotted so much a day to spend for his personal want's and wishes. He understands the definition of "NO". At 13 years now, he is a responsible and thoughtful child, considerate of others and always shares. We are proud of him and the way we have raised him to be that way. Also an Honor Roll student. He is happy and always ready to hit the road with us. His singular "really wants to have" is a pool at the campground.

Looking Forward to Completing This Map Soon !
Old 07-23-2020, 08:13 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike134 View Post
I was thinking the same thing thanks for saying it.
A list of common acronyms used on this forum. It is a PDF download
Download of common acronyms

Happiness is just a ride away!
Old 07-23-2020, 10:22 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharon455 View Post
A list of common acronyms used on this forum. It is a PDF download
Download of common acronyms
What is a PDF?
Old 07-23-2020, 10:46 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
What is a PDF?

Good point. For those who don't know.....If you've got Adobe Acrobat Reader on your computer, (a free download from Adobe) you can click on that link above, download the file, click on the download and read it.
Old 07-24-2020, 12:08 AM   #55

Quote:
What is a PDF?
Portable Document Format

2007 Surveyor SV230
- 200 Watts Solar/MPPT Controller - 220 AH Battery Bank (Two-GC2) - 600 watt PSW Inverter - (2) 2000 watt Inverter Generators - LED Lighting
2009 F150 - 5.4 Litre with Tow Package

Boon Docking 99% of the time.
Old 07-24-2020, 11:21 AM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverse_snowbird View Post

Good point. For those who don't know.....If you've got Adobe Acrobat Reader on your computer, (a free download from Adobe) you can click on that link above, download the file, click on the download and read it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by boondocking View Post
Portable Document Format
I was being facetious.
Old 07-24-2020, 11:44 AM   #57

Quote:
I was being facetious.
I know.

That was for the benefit of the people that didn't know.

2007 Surveyor SV230
- 200 Watts Solar/MPPT Controller - 220 AH Battery Bank (Two-GC2) - 600 watt PSW Inverter - (2) 2000 watt Inverter Generators - LED Lighting
2009 F150 - 5.4 Litre with Tow Package

Boon Docking 99% of the time.
Old 07-24-2020, 12:01 PM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by MainelyUS View Post

You must not fish. NEVER EVER tell someone your spot.
Old 07-26-2020, 03:50 PM   #59

The best value are State Parks, around NC and SC $30-$50 a night, W/E usually 50 AMP. I could care less about sewer, we have a blue tank for grey and can go for a week on the black with no issue. I have stayed in 2 private campgrounds, one being Ft Wilderness, we like our space and State Parks offer that.
2018 25 2019 25
2020 24 2021 28 2022 302023 30
Old 07-27-2020, 06:36 PM   #60

Nope, Not Spoiled

Our family, too, prefers the state parks anyday over ANY commercial private place we've been to! We aren't as picky - and are happy with just electric and a water/dump station on-site (doesn't have to be at site). We have also lucked out with several county parks we love also, some are even better than the state ones (for cheaper too). The only downside is it's very difficult to get an electric site if you aren't booking upwards of a year in advance!!! I usually have good luck if I watch daily the reservation sites for anyone who gives up their sites who previously reserved. We have never understood the private commercial places -- it seems our friends with children ALWAYS want to camp there and it's usually more expensive per night, AND they nickel and dime you (additional $ for wristbands for kids, etc.). We don't care to be on top of the neighbors and the kids would prefer a lake, walking, bringing their bikes, vs. the "amenities" of private campgrounds. When camping kid-free, the state/county parks are also preferred as we often will bring our motorcycles with in the toyhauler and there's usually plenty of space for them, our trailer and truck.....Oh BTW: this is in WI -- never camped out of state before.....
Closed Thread

Tags
campground, led, mpg