Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-07-2017, 05:01 AM   #21

Same thing here. The first time we put ours in we lost 2 months!
I called last month to get it in for some minor repairs and they said they next available"drop off date" was August the 9th! We will probably loose all of August and part of September. #McgeorgeRVsux
Fastedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 05:52 AM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by LairdT View Post
If I can't fix a problem by myself (with help from the forum!) I call mobile repair services. Local campgrounds seem to have the names of one or two such companies that are prompt and trustworthy!
I haven't used one, yet, but this what I'll do if I need work done. One of my friends' wife bought a pretty old trailer and he found a local guy who did some great work (like repair his floor and replace the awning) for a fraction of what the RV dealer charges. He got a job in Alaska and they pulled it up there.
8-year Travel Trailer RVers
2013 Forest River Rockwood Ultra-Lite 2904SS
2014 Toyota Tundra Maxcrew SR-5 TRD 4x4 (with Firestone airbags in the rear)
ColoradoRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 06:30 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by whj77372 View Post
Yes, that is what to expect if you bought from them! If it is out of warranty you should fix it yourself. Good Luck

Really?! Wait till something nutty happens to you and you will sing a different tune.

Ready for a looooonnnnnggg planned booked and paid beach vacation with grand kids and handicapped son; damn steps BROKE RIGHT OFF THE RV NIGHT BEFORE DEPARTURE. Had pin welded; broke in 5 minutes!

Out of warranty. FR SHIPPED NEW STEPS AND WERE INSTALLED AFTER THE TRIP. FR does not use this supplier any longer. I paid install. There are some things a 74 yr old man cannot do alone with only limited jacks; blocks and assorted non HD tools. Ripping out STEEL STEP SETS AND REPLACING THEM IS 1 OF THEM!!

We recently saw WONDER WOMAN!!! in many ways, my wife of 50 years is AMAZING!! Putting STEEL STEPS IN AN RV, not so much!!

These are aftermarket items. I APPLAUD FR for at least stepping up and getting us replacements out of warranty. I cannot say enough nice things about DENISE DAVIS at Cedar Creek. [emoji122][emoji122]
SilverbackMel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 06:43 AM   #24

Wow, I have had no problems with FR. I was just letting the original poster know that I feel their pain. We are under warranty till July but no appointment till August! Coincidence?
That's great they sent you your steps like that. We heard that their customer service was second to none. That's partly why we went with a FR product.
I hope you got to enjoy your vacation.
Fastedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 07:09 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheels Down View Post
I guess I just discovered the fault of buying from a "large volume" dealer.
Called today to take the trailer in for a minor repair ( no power to display panel for the tank/battery levels) and check the propane to the fridge and WH ($165.00).
Next appointment to bring the trailer in is over a month from now and it will not get into the shop for another two weeks after that.
Is this normal? And why do they need the trailer to sit two weeks before service?
I know this is the camping season, but over 6 weeks for service?
RMc
Remember this when the time comes to buy an extended warranty. Their service will generally suck, and your down time is excessive, and they will attempt to find any reason, such as owner abuse, to not pay under warranty anyway. Welcome to the realities of RVing.

2016 Boston Whaler Montauk 150
Former Montana owner
Colorado Cruiser, Over the Pass and Down the Hill
Comanchecreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 07:13 AM   #26

Have you considered a mobile service? You'll pay more but most stuff can be done the day they get parts. If it is a time issue. (With me, time is money.) I probably actually save money with hook up and then drive time to and from dealers.
SARDogDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 07:40 AM   #27

Not worth it anymore

We had similar frustrations when we were using our rig for short vacations and weekend camping, but at least had 1 or 2 locals we could depend on, albeit with wait times.

Now that we are on the road for several months at a time, those frustrations have multiplied. Staying at a hotel for 2+ weeks, including eat-out meals since we don't have our rolling kitchen, is not in our budget. Some of the out-of-the way places we have camped simply do not have repair services nearby. We have called 2-3 folks for a specific repair and no one even returned our calls!

Unfortunately, not everyone is handy with mechanical things. Some folks have been gifted in other ways and some are physically unable to get into some of the places required for repairs, including on the roof.

While we love spending our retirement years on the road, we have decided that we will likely seek some other way to accomplish that, whether house-sitting gigs, volunteer jobs with some kind of lodging provided, etc.

We retired for a more relaxed and enjoyable life -- not a more stressful one. RVing has become more stressful as the industry has become less responsive and quality issues have increased dramatically. Our first rigs had issues, but nothing like the newer ones.

If our bones would allow us to sleep on the ground again, we would go back to tenting! Not too many mechanical problems there. lol
bwodom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 08:06 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastedy View Post
Same thing here. The first time we put ours in we lost 2 months!
I called last month to get it in for some minor repairs and they said they next available"drop off date" was August the 9th! We will probably loose all of August and part of September. #McgeorgeRVsux
Its now Camping World!
Old 07-07-2017, 08:32 AM   #29

Quote:
Called today to take the trailer in for a minor repair ( no power to display panel for the tank/battery levels) and check the propane to the fridge and WH ($165.00).
Next appointment to bring the trailer in is over a month from now and it will not get into the shop for another two weeks after that.
Is this normal? And why do they need the trailer to sit two weeks before service?
RMc
I know this is probably way off subject,,, but trying being in PAIN every day and having to wait 6 weeks to get an appointment with a Neurosurgeon !!!
Life has become a waiting game !!!
Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 08:36 AM   #30
Back On The Go

Quote:
RMc
I guess most of them are alike. Why they can't keep a simple white board with their in/projected out/forecast emergency-type repairs and give you a decent time to bring the rig in, I don't know. It's really an easy process if there is a competent service manager at the helm. My solution is to do as much as I can and find a good independent service shop that doesn't make most of their money on sales.

Not too serious about anything except what affects health and happiness.
salwolfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 01:42 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelhorzz View Post
That same has happened to me over the last 5 years.
First, the dealer I bought from went out of business. That made all the other dealers much busier in their service depts. Up until 4 months ago it took a month to get an appt., and then they might have it another 4- 6 weeks. Four months ago they announced "Only if you purchased your unit from them", would they give you a service appt.
Well.... I just found a small independent service shop near me that was the BEST experience I have had in 5 years since I owned my coach!
A- called for an appt and got in 3 days later.
B- called me the second day it was there to let me know what was wrong and they were contacting my extended service provider.
Called me later that day to say it was approved and parts were ordered !!
(Who ever calls you to let you know what's going on with your rig???)
C- called be the 3rd day saying everything was fixed and I could pick it up!! WOW!!
My problems....
Front roof AC did not work- repaired loose wire and cuicuit breaker.
Rear toilet did not flush properly - replaced toilet
Camera system was not working properly with lights on - replaced bad socket.
Totally professional and great work!
And their shop was busy!
If you're in SoCal I'd be happy to give you their contact info. Not sure this is the format to advertise for a repair shop, no matter how good I think they are!
I am in SoCal, would love to know who you used.
Old 07-07-2017, 06:04 PM   #32

I am lucky to be somewhat mechanical and able to crawl around and under my TT for maintenance and repairs in retirement. My previous job kept me pretty limber.
Between my abilities,tools and Youtube videos I can do most anything I need to my vehicles, boat and TT and home concerning maintenance and minor repair.
The only real issue I have with the TT is the display panel for the battery/tank levels. It has no power. Being a warranty item ,I'll let them screw with it. The rest of my wish list I can handle.
We are getting ready for a long trip to the Upper Peninsula of Michigan next month and the only thing I really want to get and install is a TPMS.
Hoping that will not be to difficult.
RMc
Wheels Down is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 07:40 PM   #33

Quote:
RMc
Find a local "Mom & Pop" RV Repair shop near you. You will be MUCH happier. We are fortunate to have 2 of them within 3 miles of our home. Both are excellent and got our trailer done within a couple of days of bringing it in.

I may be old but I'm trying, very trying.
2015 RAM 1500 - EcoDiesel
Rockwood Ultra V 2715VS
OldBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 10:39 AM   #34
King of the Road

Quote:
I am lucky to be somewhat mechanical and able to crawl around and under my TT for maintenance and repairs in retirement. My previous job kept me pretty limber.
Between my abilities,tools and Youtube videos I can do most anything I need to my vehicles, boat and TT and home concerning maintenance and minor repair.
The only real issue I have with the TT is the display panel for the battery/tank levels. It has no power. Being a warranty item ,I'll let them screw with it. The rest of my wish list I can handle.
We are getting ready for a long trip to the Upper Peninsula of Michigan next month and the only thing I really want to get and install is a TPMS.
Hoping that will not be to difficult.
RMc
TPMS is piece of cake...

EEZTIRE TIRE PRESSURE MONITORING SYSTEMS (TPMS) | EEZ RV PRODUCTS

2016 days camped = 91, 2017 days camped = 109
Dano1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 06:27 PM   #35

Thanks Dano,
I checked out the link you sent.
That's a good tip.

RMc
Wheels Down is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 07:21 PM   #36
King of the Road

Just FYI, I personally didn't like the flow-through sensors because they stick out so much and you would/should probably have the tires and wheels rebalanced after you put them on.

But some prefer them just for convenience of checking/filling tires.

Also I don't use the anti-theft device, my rig is normally where it's being looked after. But you never know what could happen at night at a WallyWorld parking lot.

2016 days camped = 91, 2017 days camped = 109
Dano1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 09:38 AM   #37

I am not sure if smaller shops are the way to go either I bought my first TT from a "small" dealer but it was basically here is the bill sheet find your own financing. Had trouble very first night they ordered the part advised they could do it in a couple of weeks or give to me to complete. I took the part and took longer to get home than it did to replace. About month before warranty was out called for A/C and fridge problem and what I thought was bad bearing on an axle. They said oil boom had them three months behind but they would show it was in before warranty expired. They also suggested making a list of everything wrong. I took the TT in August got it back in December only major items fixed, but I owed nothing. Few years later dogs feasted on my wiring. I pulled to street and in the rain and dark rewired everything but looked like crap. Took my trailer back to dealership they got it in and same day cost $360 only 45 was parts (trailer pigtail) bad . Charged me 40 to diagnose what I told them . Charged me 275 to cut and crimp 6 wires under the slide and to replace the pigtail. I haven't been back since
Old 07-09-2017, 09:47 AM   #38

A dealer is a dealer, large or small. They are all swamped in the latest RV sales uptick. When I talk about certified independents, I am talking about a business that can do warranty work, who is service only.... No whole goods sales. Some are mobile, some aren't, some are both.

We have had excellent and fast service from every independent we have used. We don't go to a dealer for service after the sale unless we have no other option.
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 10:14 AM   #39

I use a mobile mechanic, even with the unit being new. If I can not do it myself he gets a call. My antenna was bad rather than spend the fuel and time to go back to the Dealer (150) Miles each way I called him for 100.00 dollars he fixed that enterbonded all of the seams and placed three vent cover over the vents.
pushing a 2007 Dodge
fhenn is offline   Reply With Quote