Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-07-2022, 11:40 AM   #1

Question Ark Encounter campsite

Hi all -
Looking to visit the Ark Encounter in Williamstown KY and was wondering if anyone can recommend a nice campground within a half hour's drive of the Ark? Also, I'm coming from the East and will be travelling down Rt 70 in PA. Is this a good highway? I've never been on it.
Thanks much for your input.
mgmoses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2022, 06:44 PM   #2

You will love the Ark. Be sure and stop at the restaurant on your way out. Awesome food. Wife and I were there couple of years ago. Closest one is Dry Ridge on I75. However I do not recommend as it backs up to the interstate and there are not enough ear plugs in a package to muffle the noise. And yes, we found that out the hard way. There is one north and one south of Dry Ridge but I have no knowledge of either. Hope this helps.

Sent from my SM-A515U using Forest River Forums mobile app
hshaynes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2022, 11:15 PM   #3

Kentucky Horse Park has a large Campground in Lexington, just over 1/2 hour away. Big Bone Lick state park is right at 1/2 hour away. It's a nice campground but some of the sites are small. Whispering Hills Campground near Georgetown. I've never camped there but have heard it's nice,

Sent from my SM-T510 using Forest River Forums mobile app
dnmatt7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2022, 06:33 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmoses View Post
Hi all -

Looking to visit the Ark Encounter in Williamstown KY and was wondering if anyone can recommend a nice campground within a half hour's drive of the Ark? Also, I'm coming from the East and will be travelling down Rt 70 in PA. Is this a good highway? I've never been on it.

Thanks much for your input.

Not sure on 70 through PA as we only travel it to south of Pittsburgh normally from Ohio.

Through WV and Ohio it is pretty good.

Check the maps but I’d recommend taking 270 around Columbus Ohio instead of 70 to 71 toward Cincinnati.

71 is rough for a while south of Columbus but then not too bad the rest of the way to Cincinnati.

When you get to Cincinnati I’d recommend taking 275 around instead of going through town. It joins back up with 75 south of town. Adds about 5 minutes but much easier than going through town.
Old 04-08-2022, 07:22 AM   #5

We stayed at Whispering Hills RV Park in Georgetown. Less than 30 minutes away. It was nice.
Old 04-08-2022, 07:28 AM   #6

We stayed at Three Springs Campground. Less than 15 minutes away. Small but nice with a much more “camping” feel than many rv parks.
dustman_stx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2022, 09:03 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by hshaynes View Post
You will love the Ark. Be sure and stop at the restaurant on your way out. Awesome food. Wife and I were there couple of years ago. Closest one is Dry Ridge on I75. However I do not recommend as it backs up to the interstate and there are not enough ear plugs in a package to muffle the noise. And yes, we found that out the hard way. There is one north and one south of Dry Ridge but I have no knowledge of either. Hope this helps.

Sent from my SM-A515U using Forest River Forums mobile app
Hey, thanks so much for the info.
Old 04-08-2022, 09:06 AM   #8

Thank you, I'll check them out!
Old 04-08-2022, 09:08 AM   #9

Thanks so much for the tip - I'll check it out.
Old 04-08-2022, 09:10 AM   #10

Thanks, sounds good. I'll check them out.