Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-24-2018, 07:52 PM   #1

As I was standing on my squeaky clean roof

I have been grateful for the knowledge shared on this forum. Without it I probably would have ended up in a fireball somewhere out on the highway due to some ignorant blunder. That being said, I have a question I have no answer for. Those in the know on this forum have stressed the importance of proper maintenance and cleaning of the roof. I took that to heart from the beginning and have been diligent about thoroughly scrubbing the roof at the beginning and end of each camping season. As I was admiring my fine work this year I couldn't help but ask myself, "why am I doing this?" Unless you are in preparation for a drone flyover it can't be for cosmetic reasons. I am assuming that the accumulated dirt on the roof has a deteriorating effect over time, but I don't honestly know. Can someone shed some light on this for me so I can continue to take pride in my roof cleaning and know I am doing something worthwhile?
Old 04-24-2018, 08:08 PM   #2
Carknocker Family

My main reason for doing it is to look at all the dicor on the roof and look for potential leaks. Checking to see if that low tree branch poked a hole in it somewhere. Or my neighbor next door burning leaves had a floating ember come down and burn a hole in my membrane.
Had that happen to my awning while Camping.
Ida Ratherbe Camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 08:30 PM   #3

I think keeping the roof clean helps keep the sides looking good. I suspect rain can cause the dirt from the roof to run down the sides and create harder to remove black streaks.

Agree with I R C that a good time for roof inspection is right after giving it a cleaning.
S.E. Mich. Flagstaff 26FKWS / 2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost SCrew Propride
SailorSam20500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 08:37 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ida Ratherbe Camping View Post
My main reason for doing it is to look at all the dicor on the roof and look for potential leaks. Checking to see if that low tree branch poked a hole in it somewhere. Or my neighbor next door burning leaves had a floating ember come down and burn a hole in my membrane.
Had that happen to my awning while Camping.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SailorSam20500 View Post
I think keeping the roof clean helps keep the sides looking good. I suspect rain can cause the dirt from the roof to run down the sides and create harder to remove black streaks.

Agree with I R C that a good time for roof inspection is right after giving it a cleaning.

Both of these are why we do it. We are able to get a good look at the roof while up there. Also a dirty roof tends to cause more black streaks on the sides. Not to mention, many 5er roofs are visible going down the road due to their angle.
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 08:45 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by dratcliff View Post
I have been grateful for the knowledge shared on this forum. Without it I probably would have ended up in a fireball somewhere out on the highway due to some ignorant blunder. That being said, I have a question I have no answer for. Those in the know on this forum have stressed the importance of proper maintenance and cleaning of the roof. I took that to heart from the beginning and have been diligent about thoroughly scrubbing the roof at the beginning and end of each camping season. As I was admiring my fine work this year I couldn't help but ask myself, "why am I doing this?" Unless you are in preparation for a drone flyover it can't be for cosmetic reasons. I am assuming that the accumulated dirt on the roof has a deteriorating effect over time, but I don't honestly know. Can someone shed some light on this for me so I can continue to take pride in my roof cleaning and know I am doing something worthwhile?
If you ever start to wonder again ~ take the time to allow Pine/Fir tree needles to built up on the roof or especially leaves from Oak trees!

Drive around and look at the bottom of chain link or wood home fences ~ it might give you a different perspective.
extxn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 12:41 PM   #6

All good reasons from previous posts. Also, dirt and sap from trees and pine needles can trap pollutants that can deteriorate the roof membrane.
gwaltneyra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 01:00 PM   #7

I clean and condition my rubber roof once a year. Sun causes powdery oxidation which runs off the roof and causes those streaks down the sides, as well as shortening the lifespan. Since using the rubber roof cleaner and separate conditioner, my roof no longer oxidizes.
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 01:30 PM   #8
TRR

I do it because I am on the roof to inspect anyway. But I never try for squeaky clean. Light pressure wash is all I do.
Old 04-25-2018, 01:53 PM   #9

Cleaning, inspecting, resealing and a good coat of Protectant 303 will keep it lasting good for years. A dirt crust at seams or makeups to roof components can hide the deterioration.It only takes one slight rip to balloon going down the road and the next rain you’ll have major damage.
Havasu Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 01:56 PM   #10

I keep our 5th wheel TT under cover in a metal shed that I had built for it. I am sure that the roof has some dirt on it from the wind, but I never wash it off. I figure that a 300 lb. person walking on the roof will do more damage than some dirt. I wash the sides up to the roof line, if anyone can see the top of my roof, it will surprise me.
Walholler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 02:59 PM   #11

Washed my roof last year and found that there were branches above my roof. Those branches had insects on them (caterpillars) and they pooped on the roof. This left dots of black excrement that were almost impossible to clean off.

Subsequently, I cut those branches.

Moral of the story...be careful what you park your rig under!
MOODMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 09:22 PM   #12

I wash/inspect my roof every year. Nice bright white roof MAY reflect some of the suns ray which MAY help roof last a little longer and MAY help keep trailer cooler...???
1993 Kawasaki KLR 650
1998 Polaris Sportsman 500 ATV
2004 f150 & 2008 f350 dually V-10
hiinthesky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 10:16 PM   #13

Just wondering ...

... what type of roof cleaner and conditioner you use, NM Wildcat? Thanks for any tips ... new to this with our Wildcat, which we love!
BeachBumJan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 11:24 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeachBumJan View Post
... what type of roof cleaner and conditioner you use, NM Wildcat? Thanks for any tips ... new to this with our Wildcat, which we love!
I wish I had found this years ago! Works effortlessly, and doesn't run down the sides removing the wax.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170210_121211633_HDR.jpeg
Views:	80
Size:	68.0 KB
ID:	169586  
Old 04-25-2018, 11:26 PM   #15

Oh, they also make a conditioner. Made my roof look like new. I was amazed.

I only used a brush on a few really stained spots. The rest was just sponged. Took about an hour and half to do the entire roof and all three slides.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170210_101156702.jpeg
Views:	98
Size:	26.2 KB
ID:	169587   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170214_083944.jpeg
Views:	103
Size:	33.2 KB
ID:	169588