Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-24-2020, 04:27 PM   #21

Straight Talk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverse_snowbird View Post
I don't know which companies you've tried, but both StraighTalk and Tracfone offer AT&T sim cards. (They are basically both Tracfone companies.)
As to performance, almost all companies now slow down your connection once you've downloaded a set amount of data. Straightalk is 25 GB a month with unlimited data, but is slows down after 25GB.
I've had good luck with Straight Talk, but my phone has Verizon service.
Straight Talk offers two options:
One is their Mobile Hotspot (another router if you will). There is no unlimited data offering. The choices are
Code:
Data  Days  Cost
1GB   30    $15
2GB   30    $25
4GB   60    $40 <--Sweet spot
5GB   60    $50 <--Sweet spot
7GB   60    $75
The other option is to get a SIM for your phone using the Bring Your Own Device (BYOD) plan, and set up your phone as a HotSpot (router). This is usually called "tethering" and it's an option on most phones. Theoretically it's not allowed but the detection algorithm is simply to look at the browser "user agent" (identifier). If they see a phone browser and a PC browser on the connection, you're caught. But I use the Android phone to host an Android tablet or my Android-dash unit all the time and nothing has ever been said.

The BYOD plan (as stated) costs $45 per month, unlimited data ($44 if you do automatic billing). The first 25GB are at LTE speeds. After that they don't charge you or hassle you. They simply throttle data until the end of the billing period.

Some folks say that they only actually throttle you if the network is heavily loaded. I have never used all my data so I don't have experience in this area.

As you probably know, you can pick up the SIMs at Walmart or order them online. The prices are the same for AT&T, Verizon, T-Mobile, and Sprint.

No obligation here--this is not a scam, but I do get credit if you submit my phone number when ordering online: 919-271-8885.

Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 04:43 PM   #22

Larrync those are unrealistically low data amounts for the dollar. I’m looking for data plans in excess of 100gb more likely in the hundreds of gigabits a month. There are a fair number of business offering such but I’m still waiting to hear from a member with experience. It is interesting the variety of what people use here.
Dennis878 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 05:07 PM   #23

Try this. It is new but do not know if it will work for you. No data caps.

https://www.t-mobile.com/isp
spierce617 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 05:09 PM   #24

KyDan

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyDan View Post
I believe both Straight talk and Tracfone are cell plans only. I've heard they will cancel you if they catch you using your phone as a wifi hot spot.
Not true with StraightTalk for those with Verizon sim cards. It is limited however. Depending on your plan, you get 10 or 20 GB of data per month. I just looked it up and unfortunately, it doesn't work with AT&T sims.
Old 10-24-2020, 05:27 PM   #25

Don't Understand?

I don't understand, I have a NetGear MR1100 ($300) with a AT&T sim ($5) that I purchased at an AT&T store and have an AT&T UN-limited (can throttle down after 22GB) plan direct with AT&T for $35 per month.

Forest River - Rockwood
2018 Ultra Lite 2040WS 5th wh
2020 Ram 1500 Eco Diesel Curt Hitch - 392 rear end
sasch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 06:23 PM   #26

Fixed wireless?

Quote:
Originally Posted by spierce617 View Post
Try this. It is new but do not know if it will work for you. No data caps.

https://www.t-mobile.com/isp
They refer to it as "Home internet." It may be an offering that must stay in one place, technically known as "fixed wireless." That would be of little use if you planned to use it in an RV and travel around.

Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 07:06 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuart38npb View Post
My router is a dual band WG3526. I have used data SIM cards from H2O, Ultra and AT&T. All worked very well, except for the AT&T which I had to take to the ATT store and have them convert the card from phone to data only. It took them less than two minutes to do it. They will try to sell you one for a phone, but insist on one for data only. These cards work fine, just expensive for the data. After spending loads of time perusing the internet and talking to different users, I finally found a source for an ATT card that offers unlimited data, respectable speed and no throttling. The account is set up through ATT, and billed from them. Try looking on eBay for data SIM cards.

As I am told, when TV switched to digital, it left the old lower frequency bands available. These were auctioned off to companies such as Verizon, ATT, T-moblile and are now used for 4G LTE data. These frequencies are too low to be used for 5G, but work just fine for 4G. Hope this helps.
Those cards they were selling on eBay were ipad accounts, they have been shuttling them down when they find that they are used in a router or hotspot. Go into your account and read the terms you agreed to without reading. Many people have been shut down by ATT fraud department.
aircommuter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 08:21 PM   #28

I have grandfathered AT&T and Verizon unlimited plans. Both are subject to network management (not throttling) but it doesn’t happen often. I’ve regularly gone over 200 gig on both plans.

I added Visible to my iPhone (dual sim model) as a backup. It’s a great deal at $25 monthly for unlimited everything...even data. The data is subject to occasional management but not throttling. I’ve tried the Visible sim in a hotspot and that’s a no go. Their sims are even restricted to use only in certain brands/models of phones.

Their service has been getting much better since the startup. It is owned by Verizon and will only work on their towers (no roaming). Lots of reports Visible is restricted to only one device tethered to the phone’s hotspot and limited to six mbps speeds. That is an urban legend which may have been accurate during the startup last year but not now. I’ve had five devices connected at once with data speeds in excess of 15 mbps which is good for HD streaming.

I’ve never used them but I’ve heard positive comments about neverthrottled.com from folks I know who use it.

Warning: the aftermarket segment of the cellular data service is volatile. Some previously loved services (OTR Mobile, Netbuddy, etc) have run into problems with AT&T and Verizon and are no longer viewed favorably. Since none of the providers require a contract the most you can lose is 29 days of service. If someone requires you to purchase a hotspot from them then run away. May be okay but I’d bet 50% of them are scams.
Old 10-25-2020, 07:19 AM   #29
Can you run 3800 fps?

Here's who I use for my Verizon deal, they are out of Georgia. I have always had excellent service from them, fast shipping, and I'm pretty sure they handle AT&T as well.

HI-Tech Living, 229.339.5233 www.htsales.com

Good Luck

Camping together for 46 years!
SniperDroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 07:45 AM   #30

“I’ve had five devices connected at once with data speeds in excess of 15 mbps which is good for HD streaming.“

Emm-Dee did you have five devices connected from the Visible phone?

Great post!
Old 10-25-2020, 07:48 AM   #31

Sniperdroid

Thanks just what I was looking for! I sent and email to them about their services! Thanks again!
Old 10-25-2020, 08:48 AM   #32

For 3 months in FL last spring i used Ultra mobile SIM in my iPhone as a hot spot. I used my laptop and DW used her tablet. Unlimited data was $40 a month. We were stationary.
jayandmarji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 03:21 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis878 View Post
“I’ve had five devices connected at once with data speeds in excess of 15 mbps which is good for HD streaming.“

Emm-Dee did you have five devices connected from the Visible phone?

Great post!
Yes, from the phone.
Old 10-25-2020, 03:50 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by SniperDroid View Post
Here's who I use for my Verizon deal, they are out of Georgia. I have always had excellent service from them, fast shipping, and I'm pretty sure they handle AT&T as well.

HI-Tech Living, 229.339.5233 www.htsales.com

Good Luck
Looked good until I saw the small (realllllly small) print. Says THROTTLED after 200 gig. Very easy to exceed that number. Network management after a certain use is rarely a problem unless you’re in a congested area. And, it’s sporadic and transparent so you might get “managed” three or four times in an hour but the times can be less than 30 seconds each.

Throttling means that you get slowed to basically unusable speeds for the rest of the billing period. Not good.
Old 10-25-2020, 04:27 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm-dee View Post
Looked good until I saw the small (realllllly small) print. Says THROTTLED after 200 gig. Very easy to exceed that number.
200 gig a month is a problem for you?! You are a data hog.
Boscorelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 05:01 PM   #36
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boscorelli View Post
200 gig a month is a problem for you?! You are a data hog.
While 200GB a month sounds like an excessive number... in today's world of working from home, schooling from home, Zoom meetings, remote administration of servers/equipment, streaming movies and tv, coupled with poor rural infrastructure of land based services that could supplement data... cellular data in these amounts is becoming the norm instead of the exception.

Days Camped: '17=38 '18=49 '19=58 '20=110 '21=116 '22=88
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 06:10 PM   #37

Long thread.

At the risk of repeating others.

Consumer Cellular works with ATT and T-Mobile. You can choose. Their prices are better, especially for AARP members. Targets service Consumer Cellular with both hardware and plans. Target will install an appropriate SIM card in any device that works with the Consumer Cellular plan.
You can also buy refurbs that run on GSM (not CDMA that Verizon uses). SIM cards to tie into he plan are always free.

I've been using CC for many years. We have three users and pay about $90/month for more than enough data for all three of us. Voice and text are unlimited. My stepson hammers our data hard...always watching videos on his phone while on public transit....yet we never go over.

If you are running a home office via cellular, their top tier data plan will be more than enough, and, as I said, with 3 devices running concurrently, we pay $90, I think it would be another $10 to nearly double the data on 4-G.

I hope this works for you.
2006 Ram 1500 4WD Crew with Firestone Airbags
Every weekend boondocking in the National Forests or at Lake Vallecito
jimmoore13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 06:26 PM   #38

I bought the TOGO system from Winegard. They have a special deal with ATT that you can only get via Winegard for this device. It's $300.00/year unlimited and they say unthrottled. I don't keep track of that though.
nayther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 06:28 PM   #39
PhD, Common Sense

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmoore13 View Post
Long thread.

At the risk of repeating others.

Consumer Cellular works with ATT and T-Mobile. You can choose. Their prices are better, especially for AARP members. Targets service Consumer Cellular with both hardware and plans. Target will install an appropriate SIM card in any device that works with the Consumer Cellular plan.
You can also buy refurbs that run on GSM (not CDMA that Verizon uses). SIM cards to tie into he plan are always free.

I've been using CC for many years. We have three users and pay about $90/month for more than enough data for all three of us. Voice and text are unlimited. My stepson hammers our data hard...always watching videos on his phone while on public transit....yet we never go over.

If you are running a home office via cellular, their top tier data plan will be more than enough, and, as I said, with 3 devices running concurrently, we pay $90, I think it would be another $10 to nearly double the data on 4-G.

I hope this works for you.
I suspect the OP was looking for a more massive solution than Consumer Cellular could provide.

I have CC, but choose not to avail myself of the AARP discount. That would entail joining AARP. If someone does want to join, he or she should make sure he or she knows where the money is going. If someone likes how AARP spends the money, that’s OK. If he or she doesn’t, that’s OK too. It is wise to know and to make a decision based on that knowledge.

I spend $40 to $50 per month for both my wife’s and my phones. It’s a great deal with excellent coverage—AT&T, I believe. Again, though, nothing that the OP is looking for.
eye95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 06:38 PM   #40

Thanks for all the post.

But most seemed to miss my quest. It has nothing whatsoever to do with a cell phone plan. I have a great mint mobile plan for $15.00 month with unlimited talk and text, 3gb of data. More data than I would ever use on a phone.

So back to my original quest. Unlimited cellular WiFi router data only plan. NOT PHONE!

Tags
service