Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-29-2020, 06:48 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRockr View Post
I bought a 100GB "unlimited" plan from ATT for a phone. I got it up and running in an unlocked Moto G6 phone. I then pulled out the SIM and tried it in my Nighthawk. Worked. Then I stuck it in my MIMO cellular router from Outdoor Router. Worked there also. I don't think there is a difference in a phone SIM or a data device SIM.
SIM stands for
subscriber identity module.
A issue shows up doing what you did when the billing updates. It may or may not recognize your sim in another device. It will be looking for a IMEI:356619051411541 number and each device is different. All you have to do is call the service provider ( AT & T in my case) and they can put the new IMEI number in to the billing system to turn you service back on.
As to the OP. I bought a sim card off Ebay for unlimited use on my Night Hawk with AT & T.
$30 a month and it has never been cut back on and I stream over 600 gigs to 900 gigs in a month sometimes. It is still working just fine after 4 years of use. I have switched devices from my Connect 2.0 on my camper and back to the Night Hawk at my house. That's how I learned about the billing needing to be updated with the correct IMEI number.
The best I can find on Ebay now is $60 a month for the same deal. You have to pay for the sim card and then buy the service from AT&T the Ebay seller will give the information you need to activate it with AT&T. I hope this helps .

Years camping 50+,
Days camping in 2021, 120 and counting.
Rolling Chaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 07:09 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis878 View Post
I need some help finding a reputable company selling AT&T data SIM cards with unlimited data. I have tried two companies in the past that have proved to be unreliable. Unfortunately I had to buy modems with the services so I now have 3 AT&T WiFi routes. One was a spare. At present I have no service. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Dennis
nomadinternet.com
Boast True Unlimited, unthrottled internet access
$99 to $129 a month
Pink Plan is on T-Mobile
Blue Plan on AT&T

There is also unlimitedlteadvanced.com/rv-internet/
These companies are not one of those iPad sims in a Router.
N6ZCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 07:34 PM   #43

Are you saying you purchased this 100 Gb plan from ATT Store— or online? You purchased the plan and they provided the SIM card to you —which you then put in your own cell phone and Mifi?
Bethann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 07:55 PM   #44

Check out FireWiFi.org. I’ve been mostly happy with them. I’ve experienced speeds as low as 8M and as high as 30M. We’ve even used as a hot spot traveling on the road while driving.
mgolebiowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 08:32 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by N6ZCM View Post
nomadinternet.com
Boast True Unlimited, unthrottled internet access
$99 to $129 a month
Pink Plan is on T-Mobile
Blue Plan on AT&T

There is also unlimitedlteadvanced.com/rv-internet/
These companies are not one of those iPad sims in a Router.
I will second nomadinternet.com. But be warned that AT&T and Verizon seem to make it very hard for these companies to deliver on their sales promises. AT&T and Verizon both have a nasty habit of kicking the 3rd party customers offline.
DG N. AL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 08:45 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by tps28ss View Post
Suggest you take a look at rvmobileinternet.com. They review devices and data plans and field test as well. They live in their RV, embrace the lifestyle and are quite comprehensive in their work. They may have a pay wall. After checking it out you can decide to subscribe or not. I find it quite worthwhile.
They have nothing available at present.
(formerly 2016 Georgetown 378XLF
Amateur Radio KA5GIL vhf/uhfonboard
CaptainJustice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 09:37 PM   #47

Get the SIM from AT&T. Check out a pre-pay, auto-pay plan. I cut my cell bill in half by doing this. You'll need to do this at an AT&T store and they can make sure that you're provided with a proper SIM card.
whjco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 09:38 PM   #48

I have this and they just changed over to AT&T as their carrier. We just finished 2 weeks on the road co front ten states and never lost service. $90 a month unlimited data. They can tell you if your hot spot will work. I got the net gear velocity 2.

https://www.otrmobile.com/
JimDebbieNEOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 09:41 PM   #49

That’s what I have and really love it. $90 truly unlimited. We used over 40 GB while out on our two week adventure and never lost the signal.
JimDebbieNEOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 11:05 PM   #50

I hope y’all have better luck with OTRMobile version 2. They got crossways with AT&T about a year or so ago (don’t know why) and they switched to T-Mobile. Those who stayed with them had to purchase new hardware ...and that hardware was obsolete a few years back.

FYI, the Velocity2 they’re pushing is old tech (four generations old). It works ok but you’ll get much better service by upgrading to a Nighthawk M1. The unlocked version is available on Amazon and works with AT&T, Verizon And T-Mobile based plans.

Somehow OTR worked out their issues with AT&T and are now offering a very good service, although a lot pricier than originally (about 50%). Just don’t be surprised if their service suddenly disappears.
Old 10-30-2020, 01:01 AM   #51

Send a message via Skype™ to b bob
Unlimited internet

Quote:
I need some help finding a reputable company selling AT&T data SIM cards with unlimited data. I have tried two companies in the past that have proved to be unreliable. Unfortunately I had to buy modems with the services so I now have 3 AT&T WiFi routes. One was a spare. At present I have no service. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Dennis
Dennis, less than a year ago I purchased a monthly plan from a company called "unlimited internet provider". Bought the AT&T sim card from Wal-Mart and a Netgear 770 from them. I pay AT&T monthly. Have not been throttled to this point. Works for us at home and on the road. FWIW. Bruce
b bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 05:29 AM   #52

Quote:
Thanks snowbird I just need plan and I don’t think it can be a phone plan. I don’t know if a phone SIM card is the same as a router SIM card. The plans I’m looking at are in the $80-$120 a month range. My problem is finding a good company.
unlimitedinternetprovider.com is $99.00 per month.No contract and you get the sim card from Walgreens, BestBuy and several other places that sell bare sim cards.

otrmobile.com is $149.00 to start, they send you one of their sim cards and then it's $109.00 per month after that.
harleyfltri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 07:09 AM   #53

att

I have AT&T phone service with unlimited data. On my phone under connections there is mobile hotspot you can turn on. That is what I use for my internet and such
sfbrabbitry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 07:24 AM   #54

Check out the mobile internet resource center

Have you checked out the website for the mobile internet resource center? It's free and offers tons of information and options on the best plans and equipment for RVers. They have information sheets and you tube videos. They update their info constantly and include evaluations of both corporate and third party plans. Last review I seem to remember is that AT&T is eliminating many 3rd party plans. Check out the website for more info. https://www.rvmobileinternet.com/
Good luck!
amypfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 07:31 AM   #55

I would suggest anyone in need of mobile internet information look to the RV Mobile Internet Resource Center (https://www.rvmobileinternet.com). It's got a lot of free content, but there's more if you join (approx. $50/year).

Much of the material in this thread is out of date. For example: Wineguard Togo is no longer supported by AT&T who discontinued the unlimited plan for the device in January of 2020, essentially making it nothing but an outdated slow router. Some of the plans that are mentioned very expensive compared to what's currently available, like Cricket wireless who offers a 100gb plan for $90 per month. Cricket is on AT&T (They're AT&T's pre paid subsidiary) so the sim card they send you will work in an AT&T router and this is a direct provider plan so you don't have to worry about it being discontinued without notice like reseller plans.

There's no unlimited plan currently offered direct from a provider. They all have network management or direct slow down at different data levels. Only older grandfathered plans that are resold by third party vendors are currently available as true unlimited. So read the fine print on whatever you look at.

If I was going with a third party vendor for a plan I'd choose nomad internet.com right now. They seem to have the most reliable plans at the moment. But this all changes faster than you can keep up with.

Which is why I pay the $50 a year and get my weekly rv mobile internet newsletter that alerts me to plan changes, availability, upcoming options and hardware reviews and access to their website with constant plan updates so I know what's the cheapest and most reliable available. They also have a large discount section so you can frequently recoup some of the membership fees with their discounts. You may also find information on the routers you have in your possession and discover that they can use other providers cards. Chris and Cherie run the Mobile Internet site as their full time job and have a staff constantly doing all the research for you. I'm an IT professional with 30+ years experience and have done internet work since Al Gore invented it (Ahem)... And I wouldn't dream of trying to keep up with this by myself. Full disclosure - I am in no way affiliated with rvmobileinternet.com and receive no compensation for recommending them. I just think they're the best thing that's happened to the world of RV Internet.
__________________________________________________ __
Days Camped: 2020 - still counting!; 2019 - 77; 2018 - 38; 2017 - 28, 2016 - 35; 2015 - 27; 2014 - 16
JCCarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 08:09 AM   #56

OP I understand your post and I am searching for the exact same thing as you are, “RURAL INTERNET. I have had super service for the past 18 months from GotW3 using Att service but I think all the providers ATT, Verizon etc are causing turmoil to all these 3rd party resellers by changing the playing field on them. Don't truly understand why because it must be a lot of business for them. It started a few months ago when they removed the “unlimited” part of the service and started to impose data usage limits by blaming Covid-19 due to everyone using more data and clogging their system, could be true. I never really noticed any difference to my service and I used 300 to 400gb per month at home in a remote area of N Carolina and on the road in my rv. Then a couple of weeks ago Gotw3 emailed all customers to say they would be sending out new sim cards to everyone on the 19th October which had to be activated by October 24th. On October 24th my service stopped working and then a notice went up on their website
OUR NETWORK PARTNER IS NOW EXPERIENCING A NATIONWIDE OUTAGE ON OUR RURAL PLAN. PLEASE BE PATIENT WHILE WE AWAIT A RESOLUTION FROM OUR PARTNER.
Since then GotW3 phones have been continually giving a busy signal, they are not responding to emails or online chat.
I have spent this week trying to find an alternative supplier as you have I am sure, but it is a maze out there and a lot of similar 3rd party resellers out there and a lot of them have stopped new service requests for now. Check out one recommendation someone made unlimitedinternetprovider.com they show all of their items are out of stock. I too have 2 routers one which I know is unlocked so I don't want to spend on a new router I just want sim only service.
I have checked places like , nomad, bix, neverthrottled etc and there are some horrific online reviews for a lot of them, so are they still offering to sell you their service in the full knowledge that it is currently not working but want to still take your money and then give an excuse. It really is a case of you pay your money and you take your chance.
aarichards1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 08:28 AM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by aarichards1 View Post
OP I understand your post and I am searching for the exact same thing as you are, “RURAL INTERNET. I have had super service for the past 18 months from GotW3 using Att service but I think all the providers ATT, Verizon etc are causing turmoil to all these 3rd party resellers by changing the playing field on them. Don't truly understand why because it must be a lot of business for them. It started a few months ago when they removed the “unlimited” part of the service and started to impose data usage limits by blaming Covid-19 due to everyone using more data and clogging their system, could be true. I never really noticed any difference to my service and I used 300 to 400gb per month at home in a remote area of N Carolina and on the road in my rv. Then a couple of weeks ago Gotw3 emailed all customers to say they would be sending out new sim cards to everyone on the 19th October which had to be activated by October 24th. On October 24th my service stopped working and then a notice went up on their website
OUR NETWORK PARTNER IS NOW EXPERIENCING A NATIONWIDE OUTAGE ON OUR RURAL PLAN. PLEASE BE PATIENT WHILE WE AWAIT A RESOLUTION FROM OUR PARTNER.
Since then GotW3 phones have been continually giving a busy signal, they are not responding to emails or online chat.
I have spent this week trying to find an alternative supplier as you have I am sure, but it is a maze out there and a lot of similar 3rd party resellers out there and a lot of them have stopped new service requests for now. Check out one recommendation someone made unlimitedinternetprovider.com they show all of their items are out of stock. I too have 2 routers one which I know is unlocked so I don't want to spend on a new router I just want sim only service.
I have checked places like , nomad, bix, neverthrottled etc and there are some horrific online reviews for a lot of them, so are they still offering to sell you their service in the full knowledge that it is currently not working but want to still take your money and then give an excuse. It really is a case of you pay your money and you take your chance.
X 2, 3, & 4.

Not all, but probably most cellular internet resellers are rapidly becoming the used car dealers of the cellular world. I used them back when they started but wouldn’t touch those services now. Buyer beware, but the odds are high that users will be conned with high prices, unreliable service and lies and broken promises.
Old 10-30-2020, 08:50 AM   #58

Many thanks for all the posts.

As many have said the unlimited plans and 3rd party sellers are in a turmoil at the present time. Many have been shut down or discontinued recently by the big companies. They will continue to do this for 3rd party sellers as most, not all, are misrepresenting the products capabilities. What’s here today can be gone tomorrow. I got caught in this after spending hundreds of dollars on WiFi routers that not longer work. Beware of companies who say you must by their routers for the service to work. This is absolutely not true just another way to take your money. Etc. etc.

Many posts here are from people who have had there service for a while and have been grandfathered. The truth is that AT&T and Verizon DON’T offer unlimited plans for hotspot or router based wireless internet. No matter what anyone tells you there is a difference between data SIM cards and cell phone SIM cards. These companies didn’t get to where they are by not knowing what their doing and what your doing. This is to complicated an issue to discuss here for me as I hate typing and usually can’t type what I’m thinking🥴.

Again thanks
Dennis878 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 09:10 AM   #59

Quote:
I used to use a company called TravelData and had good service with them. Unfortunately that dont have ATT sim cards any more, but they have verizon and T Mobile. Like you, I have a ATT modem so when they quit providing ATT service I had to do something as well. I got a Sim Card from a non corporate ATT store. They refer to it as a data plan for a tablet. It is working fine for me. I dont use that much data in my camper maybe 200-250 gb a month. If you are a heavy data user it might be an issue. Dont know for sure.
tlhagood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 09:18 AM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlhagood View Post
I used to use a company called TravelData and had good service with them. Unfortunately that dont have ATT sim cards any more, but they have verizon and T Mobile. Like you, I have a ATT modem so when they quit providing ATT service I had to do something as well. I got a Sim Card from a non corporate ATT store. They refer to it as a data plan for a tablet. It is working fine for me. I dont use that much data in my camper maybe 200-250 gb a month. If you are a heavy data user it might be an issue. Dont know for sure.
That is just the type plans they are looking to shut down. It’s just a matter of time. You may not be the cause of their shut down but others will abuse the limits and expose all. The only thing you can loos is a months service cost. At least you didn’t have to buy another router! I have several I’ll sell you cheap😂😂😂
Dennis878 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
service