Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-30-2020, 09:42 AM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis878 View Post
That is just the type plans they are looking to shut down. It’s just a matter of time. You may not be the cause of their shut down but others will abuse the limits and expose all. The only thing you can loos is a months service cost. At least you didn’t have to buy another router! I have several I’ll sell you cheap😂😂😂
Yes i got lucky on the router. Im hoping this service holds out long enough until some other viable option is available. Our campground is in a rural area so its going to be a bit longer before 5g data plans such as the Verizon plan are available. Space X Starlink satellite service looks promising as well.
tlhagood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 09:59 AM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScopesNC View Post
A issue shows up doing what you did when the billing updates. It may or may not recognize your sim in another device. It will be looking for a IMEI:356619051411541 number and each device is different. All you have to do is call the service provider ( AT & T in my case) and they can put the new IMEI number in to the billing system to turn you service back on.

Thx, I'll keep that in mind. Been good for about a yr. When in a crap ATT area I have tossed the Verizon Mifi SIM in it and chgd the APN and it worked altho the Verizon is only 30 Gig for $35/mo. I bleeve Outdoor Router has a model w/two SIM slots so you can put ATT & Verizon Sims in and let it pick best signal. Mine requires manual exchange & diff APN
BigRockr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 01:12 PM   #63

Option

While my cell is ATT with unlimited data, it is limited if not using it on my cell phone. To use our laptops or Roku TV while traveling, I have a second phone we other Visable That is part of Verizon. It is $25 a month with unlimited service. Works great with our TV viewing of YouTubeTV, Netflix, etc. also with ATT and Verizon, we are really covered for service.
Mitchell 2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 03:14 PM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitchell 2020 View Post
While my cell is ATT with unlimited data, it is limited if not using it on my cell phone. To use our laptops or Roku TV while traveling, I have a second phone we other Visable That is part of Verizon. It is $25 a month with unlimited service. Works great with our TV viewing of YouTubeTV, Netflix, etc. also with ATT and Verizon, we are really covered for service.
Its’ coverage is not as robust as regular Verizon but for now Visible seems to be the best deal going. It’s subject to network management but that doesn’t happen very often. No throttling ever so I guess it’s as close to true unlimited one can get from a mainstream carrier.

The Visible sim will only work in certain models of phones but you can get your phone verified as compatible before signing up. The SIM card can not be used in any hotspot.
Old 10-30-2020, 03:34 PM   #65

I used these guys for a few years. If you want a top notch customer service with great plans truly unlimited they might be what you want. Several networks to chose from also.

https://www.unlimitedtogo.com/

They are not cheap but are very fair for the market. Check them out. It sounds like this is what your looking for.

Years camping 50+,
Days camping in 2021, 120 and counting.
Rolling Chaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 08:30 PM   #66

A word to the wise

I was running a nighthawk mr1100 with a prepaid SIM card from a third party vendor, one that’s been mentioned in several of the posts. I prepaid my monthly bill directly to AT&T who charged my credit card monthly for the last 9 months. Two days ago I woke up to no internet so I called AT&T to find out why. They told me my SIM card had been suspended and my nighthawk router had been blacklisted. They said the SIM card was intended according to the imei for use in a LG tablet but the end point imei they found on a network scan was not that but, a router. I was told if the SIM card was placed back in an LG tablet and they could verify it they would turn the SIM card back on. I never went over 225 GB per month. I hung up and called 611 AT&T customer service. I wanted to buy a data hotspot sim card. When I told them the imei number of the nighthawk router they told my router had been blacklisted from use on the AT&T network. But, AT&T told me they would sell me their nighthawk router mr1100 just like mine for $249 and sell me 100GB unlimited data plan which after 100GB they can slow down if there is network congestion for $61 a month.

The customer service rep told me they are cracking down on all third party vendors and are trying to shut them all down by the end of the year. She told me resellers are selling SIM cards intended for tablets and that in the service agreement it specifically states using such SIM card in a router is not authorized.

I thought I was smart and was getting a good deal at $35 a month with the third party plan right up to when AT&T told me my router would no long work on their network that it has been blacklisted.

So I thought I would never say this/post this but beware if the deal sounds to good to be true it many not be in the long run. And, it is looking like a lot of third party resellers might be looking at finding other types of businesses come the end of the year.
Jheiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 09:30 PM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jheiser View Post
I was running a nighthawk mr1100 with a prepaid SIM card from a third party vendor, one that’s been mentioned in several of the posts. I prepaid my monthly bill directly to AT&T who charged my credit card monthly for the last 9 months. Two days ago I woke up to no internet so I called AT&T to find out why. They told me my SIM card had been suspended and my nighthawk router had been blacklisted. They said the SIM card was intended according to the imei for use in a LG tablet but the end point imei they found on a network scan was not that but, a router. I was told if the SIM card was placed back in an LG tablet and they could verify it they would turn the SIM card back on. I never went over 225 GB per month. I hung up and called 611 AT&T customer service. I wanted to buy a data hotspot sim card. When I told them the imei number of the nighthawk router they told my router had been blacklisted from use on the AT&T network. But, AT&T told me they would sell me their nighthawk router mr1100 just like mine for $249 and sell me 100GB unlimited data plan which after 100GB they can slow down if there is network congestion for $61 a month.

The customer service rep told me they are cracking down on all third party vendors and are trying to shut them all down by the end of the year. She told me resellers are selling SIM cards intended for tablets and that in the service agreement it specifically states using such SIM card in a router is not authorized.

I thought I was smart and was getting a good deal at $35 a month with the third party plan right up to when AT&T told me my router would no long work on their network that it has been blacklisted.

So I thought I would never say this/post this but beware if the deal sounds to good to be true it many not be in the long run. And, it is looking like a lot of third party resellers might be looking at finding other types of businesses come the end of the year.
You should jump on that 100 gig for $61 plan. If you are camping then chances of encountering “network congestion“ are slim. Even if used the time periods are very short...maybe a minute or less. Since the plan is between you and AT&T then as long as you pay the monthly bill there won’t be any changes unless they change every other customer the same way.
Old 10-30-2020, 10:06 PM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jheiser View Post

Well that is good to know if mine goes dead. Did your sim card have AT&T stamped on it? Was it an AT&T sim ? Sounds like an excuse is being made to shut down all the grandfather sims that have the cheap price. Cell companies use a lot of excuses to make us pay a lot for what is already built and paid for on their networks. They make huge profits for sure.

Years camping 50+,
Days camping in 2021, 120 and counting.
Rolling Chaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 11:20 PM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScopesNC View Post
Well that is good to know if mine goes dead. Did your sim card have AT&T stamped on it? Was it an AT&T sim ? Sounds like an excuse is being made to shut down all the grandfather sims that have the cheap price. Cell companies use a lot of excuses to make us pay a lot for what is already built and paid for on their networks. They make huge profits for sure.
I can’t believe I’m going to defend a cell phone provider but here goes.

I never could figure out how the resellers worked the system. Why did AT&T let Net Buddy, OTR Mobile, etc, provide unlimited AT&T data for $60 or so per month. Why didn’t AT&T just sell the service direct to the consumer?

The only reason I could find was some info that AT&T (and probably Verizon) used the resellers in order to research the market to determine how (and how much) data was used. They could follow trends in usage that if they didn’t like What they saw they could just stop the service.

The big providers got into trouble with the FCC a few years back when they arbitrarily stopped offering plans that did not have a disclaimer in the beginning of the plan that it could be terminated at any time. I had the true unlimited at the time but it wasn’t very good for me because I couldn’t use it as a hotspot. After a lot of encouragement from AT&T I “downgraded“ to the shared plan with five lines, all talk and text and 35 gig of rollover shared hard capped data per month. The cost was $135 per month and as long as I pay it will remain the same (since 2012).

Lots of folks have these “grandfathered” plans with AT&T and Verizon. As long as they are kept current they keep those plans. In the case of resellers the customer has none of those “protections” and could lose the service at any time. There is no recourse. Actually in some cases one cannot even find a physical address for the reseller. What is a user option when the reseller says too much data was used so the service is being terminated. I know of two individuals who encountered that tactic. Not a thing they could do about it.

If using a reseller you’ll get the service you pay for until you don’t. Not a bad deal unless you got conned into purchasing hardware that was probably obsolete before you received it. The hardware works...barely...and probably cannot be used with another provider.

My only advice is to watch closely for the big three to offer a plan you like and then lock it in. The last one I remember was Verizon offering unlimited hotspot data (with possibility of network management at times) for $65 a month. It was cancelled IIRC in May, 2019. I still have it and sometimes use over 300 gig a month with no problems.
Old 10-31-2020, 12:42 PM   #70

I fully understand the internet needs but have found that without streaming video my data is about a gig a day at the high point when working from my hotspot. I have been as low as 2gig in a week while doing video calls and remaining connected constantly. That will go as high as 5gig if I let windows try to update itself sonI set it to a metered connection to prevent these until I find a hotspot. With the extra data Tmobile/spr have offered due to covid I have plenty of data for a full month.

For video streaming I have started to just stream to my phone and use an HDMI cable to the TV to mirror the display. This follows the carrier rules by not using the hotspot and data falls into the unlimited to my phone plan rather than the hotspot plan.

It works for me and no router or seperate sim is required and I am following all their rules and limits.

Maybe that will help some.
dbledan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2020, 04:18 PM   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbledan View Post
I fully understand the internet needs but have found that without streaming video my data is about a gig a day at the high point when working from my hotspot. I have been as low as 2gig in a week while doing video calls and remaining connected constantly. That will go as high as 5gig if I let windows try to update itself sonI set it to a metered connection to prevent these until I find a hotspot. With the extra data Tmobile/spr have offered due to covid I have plenty of data for a full month.

For video streaming I have started to just stream to my phone and use an HDMI cable to the TV to mirror the display. This follows the carrier rules by not using the hotspot and data falls into the unlimited to my phone plan rather than the hotspot plan.

It works for me and no router or seperate sim is required and I am following all their rules and limits.

Maybe that will help some.
HDMI with your phone?
aircommuter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2020, 04:37 PM   #72

HDMI with phone

Quote:
Originally Posted by aircommuter View Post
HDMI with your phone?
A few phones, mostly Samsung, do it. My old Galaxy S (first one, not S2, S3, etc.) did it. And I must have gotten it around 2010. It used a cable like this.
"Always bypass the water heater before opening the low-point drains."
Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2020, 04:54 PM   #73

Quote:
HDMI with your phone?

iPhones and iPads. At least for now.
Old 10-31-2020, 10:37 PM   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm-dee View Post
iPhones and iPads. At least for now.
Must be the newer ones, mine only have the lightning connector.
Trying to get reception with a phone is not equal to a yagi and a router.
Old 11-01-2020, 06:46 AM   #75

Quote:
Must be the newer ones, mine only have the lightning connector.
Trying to get reception with a phone is not equal to a yagi and a router.
Only for the recent and current models with Lightning connection. I don’t remember if a version was available for the first few generations prior to lightning. Rumors are the next generation will be completely wireless with magnetic connections only.

Old 11-01-2020, 09:04 AM   #76

Quote:
Only for the recent and current models with Lightning connection. I don’t remember if a version was available for the first few generations prior to lightning. Rumors are the next generation will be completely wireless with magnetic connections only.

That is a cute adapter, have you tried one? I have a couple 6s Plus models on Verizon for travel and and a couple 8 plus on Att for use here as that is the one and only carrier.
One thing I have tested with all the phones and both carriers is that the unlimited accounts run much slower than say a 5GB plan.
Old 11-01-2020, 09:36 AM   #77

Quote:
That is a cute adapter, have you tried one? I have a couple 6s Plus models on Verizon for travel and and a couple 8 plus on Att for use here as that is the one and only carrier.
One thing I have tested with all the phones and both carriers is that the unlimited accounts run much slower than say a 5GB plan.
Yes, I have two adapters (one for the house and one for the MH).

FWIW, if getting the adapter don’t be stingy. Do not get the really cheap one ($15-$25). The adapter includes a lightning port to enable charging while viewing. There have been way to many reports of device damage when using cheap, offbrand cords. I have personally seen the problem. The price for the real adapter is in the $49 range.
Old 11-01-2020, 09:43 AM   #78

Has anyone had experience with a Mofi4500 WiFi router? I don’t know if it’s true or not but from what I found researching The subject some suggest that the router masks the signal coming from the router to the provider to show it as cell phone data being used and not coming from a router. ��
Dennis878 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 10:57 AM   #79
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Yes, I have two adapters (one for the house and one for the MH).

FWIW, if getting the adapter don’t be stingy. Do not get the really cheap one ($15-$25). The adapter includes a lightning port to enable charging while viewing. There have been way to many reports of device damage when using cheap, offbrand cords. I have personally seen the problem. The price for the real adapter is in the $49 range.
Agreed 100% for Android as well.

I ruined an S9 because of the cheap adapter.
I tried to cheap out and got bit. I then purchased a better one (w/charging) and it has worked flawlessly on two subsequent phones.

FWIW... it does work really well.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 11:11 AM   #80

Quote:
HDMI with your phone?
Yes, Samsung. Newer ones don't have all the chips needed for just a cable but they work with a DEX cable...
dbledan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
service