Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-01-2020, 11:25 AM   #81

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
Agreed 100% for Android as well.

I ruined an S9 because of the cheap adapter.
I tried to cheap out and got bit. I then purchased a better one (w/charging) and it has worked flawlessly on two subsequent phones.

FWIW... it does work really well.
I wasn’t aware the Android cords also had that issue so that’s good info to know. I have a few devices (mainly the TST monitor) that use the same cord as the Android phones.

It’s easy to detect a faulty cord. Couple years back I disconnected the lightning cord from the phone and noticed it felt a little warm. That’s not normal so I grabbed the cord from the end. It was hot enough to burn my finger enough to leave a blister.
Old 11-01-2020, 11:34 AM   #82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis878 View Post
Has anyone had experience with a Mofi4500 WiFi router? I don’t know if it’s true or not but from what I found researching The subject some suggest that the router masks the signal coming from the router to the provider to show it as cell phone data being used and not coming from a router. ��
Haven’t heard about that. I passed on the MoFi when I saw it had an embedded sim as primary with an additional removable sim slot. Didn’t like not being able to remove both sims to use in other devices.
Old 11-01-2020, 07:50 PM   #83

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm-dee View Post
Haven’t heard about that. I passed on the MoFi when I saw it had an embedded sim as primary with an additional removable sim slot. Didn’t like not being able to remove both sims to use in other devices.
There are several models of the Mofi. Some do not have the sim restrictions.
I have three and any providers card will work. I am not sure about it showing up as a phone because I know 3 people that were caught using the grandfathered iPad cards.
aircommuter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 08:18 PM   #84

Quote:
Originally Posted by aircommuter View Post
I have three and any providers card will work. I am not sure about it showing up as a phone because I know 3 people that were caught using the grandfathered iPad cards.
There are enough options available that one doesn’t need to constantly violate provider TOS. Unfortunately most of the folks who got the iPad SIM cards and were pushed to use them in a hotspot weren’t aware they were operating outside the rules.

It’s starting to look like the providers are locking down their sims to prevent users from using stuff they haven’t paid for. I have a Visible sim that will only work in an iPhone version 5 or later. Folks have told me it only works in certain Android phones but definitely not all. If the sim worked in any Verizon compatible (or unlocked) device there would be a lot of sim swapping to take advantage of the additional bands only a Hotspot will see. No big deal for me because it’s mainly a backup plan.
Old 11-01-2020, 08:20 PM   #85

Quote:
Originally Posted by aircommuter View Post
Curious why three are needed. Wouldn’t one provide adequate coverage?
Old 11-01-2020, 09:05 PM   #86

Quote:
Curious why three are needed. Wouldn’t one provide adequate coverage?
I have one for the mini storage I own and I only use it for the cameras as no one occupies that facility.
One for my home and one for travel because the hone one is needed to keep the cameras working when I am gone. The only other service is Hughes Satellite which is useless. One tower as of a year ago.
Old 11-02-2020, 07:51 AM   #87

Quote:
You should jump on that 100 gig for $61 plan. If you are camping then chances of encountering “network congestion“ are slim. Even if used the time periods are very short...maybe a minute or less. Since the plan is between you and AT&T then as long as you pay the monthly bill there won’t be any changes unless they change every other customer the same way.
I did and so far it’s working just the way I need it to work.
Jheiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 09:56 AM   #88

I can’t seem to find the $61.00 month data plan at AT&T. I see good deals for business owners. I see $100 month plan for 100gb but not hotspot. I presently using Visible on my phone and as an experiment I ran movies, music, etc. Over a 29 hour period I used 10.5gbs of data. Considering the data wasn’t used the entire 29 hours that’s a lot of data. The way I see it the hotspot data is really only an emergency thing because of cost. That’s why people try and circumvent the TOS with all sort of devices.
Dennis878 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 10:42 AM   #89

The plan I got for $61 I got by calling AT&T customer service. The final price was $87.67 but they require insurance that you can have removed once you receive the device and it also include the the monthly installment I am paying for the device. Once you remove the insurance and the installment payment and go paperless the data price is $61 and some change.
Old 11-02-2020, 11:48 AM   #90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jheiser View Post
The plan I got for $61 I got by calling AT&T customer service. The final price was $87.67 but they require insurance that you can have removed once you receive the device and it also include the the monthly installment I am paying for the device. Once you remove the insurance and the installment payment and go paperless the data price is $61 and some change.
Is this for 100gbs of hotspot data? If so this would be a good plan. If not no so good!
Old 11-02-2020, 04:12 PM   #91

AT&T has on sale, for non AT&T customers, in vehicle hotspot plan $20.00 month, regular $25 month, unlimited and after 22gbs your speed may slow due to network congestion. Otherwise it’s unlimited. It says it’s good for up to 50 feet from your vehicle. Regular customer is $20 month. Might be an option for someone especially with kids, using up to 10 devices at a time. I’m sure there are taxes etc. on the plan.
Old 11-02-2020, 05:05 PM   #92

Quote:
AT&T has on sale, for non AT&T customers, in vehicle hotspot plan $20.00 month, regular $25 month, unlimited and after 22gbs your speed may slow due to network congestion. Otherwise it’s unlimited. It says it’s good for up to 50 feet from your vehicle. Regular customer is $20 month. Might be an option for someone especially with kids, using up to 10 devices at a time. I’m sure there are taxes etc. on the plan.
I have a $20 plan but the vehicle must be equipped to use it and the power must be in accessory mode or on.
Is that the one you are referring to?
Old 11-02-2020, 05:12 PM   #93

Quote:
That’s the “Connected Car” plan. If the car/truck doesn’t have the factory WiFi system AT&T sells you a Hartman Spark device. Old tech, but it works. It plugs into the OBDI port and will shut down if no movement detected for something like every 15-20 minutes. I guess you could plug it into an external adapter while camping but you’d have to pick it up and activate some sort of motion to keep it from shutting down.

It is definitely unlimited but subject to network management after 22 gig.

https://www.att.com/plans/connected-...E&gclsrc=aw.ds
Old 11-02-2020, 05:15 PM   #94

Not sure but only certain newer equipped vehicles are capable of using the service. I assume the vehicles electrical system must be on. They do have a device for non equipped vehicles but it gets very bad reviews. Verizon has a plan for other brand vehicles.
My 2019 Ram is supposed to be equipped with the proper equipment. It’s not a plan for everyone including me but it does have some value. On long trips Waze can use lots of data. If I didn’t have a unlimited plan I would look into further.
Old 11-02-2020, 05:44 PM   #95

Quote:
Not sure but only certain newer equipped vehicles are capable of using the service. I assume the vehicles electrical system must be on. They do have a device for non equipped vehicles but it gets very bad reviews. Verizon has a plan for other brand vehicles.
My 2019 Ram is supposed to be equipped with the proper equipment. It’s not a plan for everyone including me but it does have some value. On long trips Waze can use lots of data. If I didn’t have a unlimited plan I would look into further.
If ones vehicle is not eligible just tell AT&T you have a 2014 Ram. Then you get the plug in device. Note...unlike some other OBDI plug ins you cannot remove the SIM card on this device.
Old 11-02-2020, 08:14 PM   #96

My wife has a 2019 limited for a daily driver and it has that as part of the Uconnect system, but I don’t usually sit in the garage with the truck set to accessory. Works good on trips if we happen to use that instead of our camper.
Old 11-02-2020, 10:32 PM   #97

Quote:
Is this for 100gbs of hotspot data? If so this would be a good plan. If not no so good!
Yes it’s for 100GB per month unlimited which means after 100GB it is deprioritized and slowed f there is network congestion.
Old 11-02-2020, 11:15 PM   #98

Quote:
Yes it’s for 100GB per month unlimited which means after 100GB it is deprioritized and slowed f there is network congestion.
With AT&T that’s not usually a problem since they seem to be a lot less restrictive than Verizon. The only time I’ve noticed it is while at an event with lots of users. In that case the regular service like using a phone sending/receiving emails or text messages is restricted the same way. A tower can only handle so much, and 100,000 people within a one mile circle will shut everything down.

I live in a very rural area. We once lost internet and cable for three days due to weather problems. Had enough stuff connected to the AT&T hotspot to use over 60 gig in three days. That included the data my neighbor used since he used my hotspot because of the cable outage. For that month the total usage was over 400 gig...and it never slowed. The plan allows network management after 22 gig.
Old 11-03-2020, 07:32 AM   #99

Quote:
Thanks for the information but what you forgot to tell everyone that this plan is no longer available and hasn’t been for a while. AT&T has no plans even close to this now. Maybe in the future but the past and the future aren’t helping me now.
Old 11-03-2020, 08:02 AM   #100

Quote:
Thanks for the information but what you forgot to tell everyone that this plan is no longer available and hasn’t been for a while. AT&T has no plans even close to this now. Maybe in the future but the past and the future aren’t helping me now.
That is not true. I just bought this plan by calling AT&T customer service on Oct 22, 2020. I received the device Oct 24 and it was up and running that same day using the self activate feature on myATT. The plan is called Wireless Internet 100GB Triple Play.

Just because you can’t find it online means nothing. This plan is available by calling customer service.

Tags
service