Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 11-04-2021, 07:48 PM   #81

Seriously, if you like camping , get a camper shell for your truck, throw your gear and a few fishing rods in there and go...when you come back and have some wife and kids with a different outlook then it's ok, if not enjoy the camper shell when you go camping.....
Dude you're having a damn crisis, you're overloaded with things man, tractor, horse, refinance...what the hell for??? You're 57 close to retirement, you gonna work another 20 years with that arthritis you're dealing with now???
Sit down and seriously re evaluate your current situation and get rid of all those damn toys, you may find you have time to do the things you actually like to do with or with out those bums you call a family.
If you're gonna be a pack mule , then hunker down, wear that saddle and keep on keeping on with a stoic virtue but if that pack saddle is too much then kick it off.
You have reached burn out from too many pokers in the fire
Old 11-04-2021, 07:49 PM   #82

I have a different perspective on this. Our family always camped. My dad could only afford a used 1963 Nimrod tent camper. That and a two man pup tent housed up to eight people. Back in the 60ís my dad worked two jobs and mom was a housewife. This meant that she was a housewife while we were camping. She packed all of our clothes and food, set up the outdoor kitchen and pretty much worked at feeding and cleaning up after all of us. Not so much of a vacation for her. When we got home, she unpacked the camper and started on a weeks worth of laundry. Us kids were required to help at times and always did, but I really donít remember doing that much. One day I realized what she was going through so we could all have a good time and vowed to always make sure to never let that happen to my wife. When my wife and I started camping forty years ago we were in a 10x10 tent. She had never been camping and I wanted her to enjoy herself so I did everything. She would have gladly pitched in, but I rarely asked. I loved doing it. We are still camping. But now in a 27í TT and I still do the majority of the work and still love it. We have set up the camper with everything we need so that if we decide to go on short notice I only need to fill the fresh water tank and pack perishable food. The rest is already in there. We work together on setup and takedown, mostly so she can handle things if something were to happen to me. (64 years old with chronic leukemia) Once we get home dirty clothes and perishable food comes out. From the time I back in the driveway until we are inside relaxing is 30-45 minutes. As for maintaining the camper, I love it. Wife will do anything I ask, but I actually enjoy the work. The enjoyment I get from a camping trip far outweighs the work involved in owning and maintaining the camper. PS I have made the water heater mistake more than once. Just happened two weeks ago when i winterized I was mad as hell, but only had myself to blame. Changed clothes and got back to it. I hope you can work this out. Good luck and happy camping.
Old 11-04-2021, 08:17 PM   #83

Same w/ my DH. I take of everything inside (load & unload). He does everything outside except I do pitch in to wash it sometimes. Heís a handyman genius so if something breaks he fixes it. He also does almost all the cooking. I clean everything immediately afterwards or as we mess things up. We are an awesome team. As soon as everything is put away weíre free to do other things. When Iím packing up things inside I do pile things up at the door in canvas baskets. He does move everything heavy inside because he doesnít want me hurting my back. When camping he might go fishing but always checks with me 1st to see if I had other plans for us. We do hike, bike & kayak together. Do hope you & yours are able to communicate & work out a plan. Camping should be about having fun together.
Old 11-04-2021, 08:38 PM   #84

Guess I'm a Lucky One

We've only been doing this since 2017. The kids were 14 years old.

All of us went to the RV show to look at models
All of us went to the RV dealer to order our model
All of us picked it up when it was delivered

On our first trip I showed my daughter how to do W, S, E.
I showed my son how to do the tongue jack, blocks, chocks and stabilizers.
DW said the inside was her domain.

They have owned those jobs on every trip every year. I have no problem doing all of the ancillary work back at the house to prepare for trips (including grocery shopping) or when we return. I wash it, clean it, perform preventative maintenance, winterize and cover.

To me that is a small price to pay for the amazing 5 years of memories we made. We just became empty nesters, with Daughter off to college and Son moving out starting his career. Now I'm really gonna have to do some work next season.

I tell my kids this... Take it easy and relax. In about 25 years it will be paybacks when you are taking care of me. They laugh.

Oh by the way... someone else said it before. But if you can't do the cover by yourself, you are doing it wrong.

When you uncover, spread it out on the lawn.
Fold the sides into the middle. Depending on the size you may want to do this twice.
Roll it up tight from rear to front.
In the Fall, climb on the roof with your rolled up cover and walk to the front of the Rig.
Unroll the cover from the front to the rear.
Unfold the sides and let them fall to the side.
Climb down and tie it all up.
Piece of Cake.

Have Fun and remember all of the good times on the trips. There will be a day when you go out without the kids and you will miss them dearly.

My day is coming in April 2022.

Ron
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180922_202939353.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	163.8 KB
ID:	265313  
2022 Ram 2500
Old 11-04-2021, 08:44 PM   #85

Dear Abbey,

Never mind... taken care of.
Old 11-04-2021, 08:55 PM   #86
Midwest Ed

You don't need to quit camping.
You need to quit your family (or at least quit doing whatever is the thing that is enabling them).
Old 11-04-2021, 10:08 PM   #87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwritecode View Post
Open a faucet to relieve pressure from the water heater.

Covers are more trouble than they are worth.
Agreed. I looked into covers, and it seemed (like so many other things) there were lots of reasons on both sides of whether to cover or not. My research showed a cover was one of those things that wasn't critical, so I decided that is one hassle I can do without.

I winterized mine yesterday. Realized I needed a washer to get a better seal on the blowout plug, but with a freeze predicted I just tried to hold it in as tight as possible. I got antifreeze all over me, but got the job done. Put all my clothes in the washer, showered, went to relax and read that I should probably put antifreeze in the black tank flush. Ran out and did that, changed my clothes again. It's my camper, so I do all the maintenance and setting up and breaking down.

As far as everyone disappearing when there's work to be done or asking people to take care of their stuff? Happens in my house every day...when we go anywhere in the SUV...when I am trying to prepare for company or a Thanksgiving dinner...no use complaining because no one listens.

But definitely NOT ready to give up...not yet, anyway.
Old 11-05-2021, 07:46 AM   #88

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPukaShell View Post
Move to California, don't have to winterize and you can use you rig year round.
No thanks I'll move to North Pole before Ca, not my kind of folks out there laws not enforced, half the state lives in homeless camping on the roadsides'.
Old 11-05-2021, 08:01 AM   #89
Site Team

The site team has decided to close this thread. The OP hasn't been back in a few days and has gotten more advise than he probably ever expected.

Plus the replies have started to run afoul of our community rules.
Closed Thread