Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 11-02-2021, 09:59 AM   #41

Or.....You could just pull their phones and video games until you get help. That's usually the root of the problem.

The hard thing to believe is that you are asking for advice on a camper forum.
Old 11-02-2021, 02:55 PM   #42

It is sorta ironic reading this thread today one-half hour after fixing my bedroom slideout with assistance from my dear wife who will help me with any and all on our RV. Not being super mechanical but I always try to tackle a problem myself before having to call in the calvary ($$$).

If there was ever anything I needed help with from my two married sons, well I would hear all kinds of stories about how they have to take the grandkids to hockey or gymnastics or a birthday party or, or, or, well you get the idea.

Perhaps the OP should take the camper out a few times by himself, somewhat spur-of-the-moment type and as his DW and son stand there with their mouths agape he can just smile and wave pulling out of the drive. Ahhh, peace and quiet and a good beer, or bourbon!
Kia Sportage on MasterTow Dolly
Old 11-02-2021, 03:57 PM   #43

Every thing I use in the trailer stays in the trailer- pots, pans, space heaters, toiletries, outside cooking grill/griddle, bedding, coolers, chairs ect. We just need to load food and clothes, motorcycle or ATV (toyhauler) and a portable genny. I usually find things at garage sales to buy for use in the camper. So, not much to load and unload. Maintenance is on me. I don't use a cover - big pain.
1993 Kawasaki KLR 650
1998 Polaris Sportsman 500 ATV
2004 f150 & 2008 f350 dually V-10
Old 11-02-2021, 04:53 PM   #44
Georgia Rally Coordinator

I'd sell it and end the hassle unless you are like me.. I know what its like to have to do every thing my self do to DW passing but I still camp and handle all the chores . Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing.(sold) (sold) 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-74 2022-40 days 2023 5 days
Old 11-02-2021, 06:08 PM   #45
Site Team

My DW and I are both 74 years old; both of us have valid handicap parking tags - hers for a really bad back, mine for surgery on a foot that led to MSSA Staph infection 2x. We still spent 115 nights in our trailer this year. DW can't help as much as she once did and laments that fact every time we go out and return. She hates that she is not able to do what she once could... but she says as long as I'm willing to do what I do, she is willing to do all she can. She gets groceries and her clothes ready before every trip and I load everything in the trailer. She does much of the cleaning while we're out and she does her list of "inside things" when we pack up to leave a campground. I do all the "outside" things going and coming.

When I had my original foot surgery two years ago, our son called and asked what I needed. He made a 45 mile one-way trip to help me winterize the trailer since I was in a walking boot and would have had difficulty going up and down the stairs.

If he were 14 and not in his mid-40s, I would merely have to tell him what I needed and he'd do it without my ordering him to do it although he knew I would give orders if so needed.

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Old 11-02-2021, 09:23 PM   #46

My daughters are all grown, married, and have their own houses. However, if I need help with anything that we can plan ahead of time, all I have to do is make a call and they will be here. The reason for this is that I help them whenever they ask and they respect my wife and I enough to repay us with their help.
I am old enough to have acquired most of the tools and knowledge to use them to do most jobs. The kids and do not hesitate to ask for help. Again, it is all about respect.
Old 11-02-2021, 09:56 PM   #47

Since 2007 I have been the only person to put the TT into hibernation and prep it in the spring. Winterizing and putting the cover on....first a 26' TT and then a 36' TT until 2020 when we sold it. I never had a single person volunteer to help. Everyone enjoyed the fruits of my labor but none pitch in. In a way......I'm glad the TT is gone, but now I'm spending much of my time taking care of our cabin and 54 acres of woods. One son does pitch in quite a bit, but he also hunts the area every fall.
Old 11-03-2021, 06:49 AM   #48

All this complaining. I travel solo with three big dogs as a 63 year old female with back and arthritis issues. I also maintain my house by myself. I sometimes look at the new models coming out and consider buying a little larger model (class C), but I snap myself out of it. All the modifications I had done to my Solera, I don’t want to start over again. Yes, the ongoing maintenance required does gets REALLY old. I was always handy, but having an rv forces you to get even more so. My saving grace now is where I moved to a few years ago; there is a great little rv service business five minutes away. I’ll continue to evaluate the situation next year with my health and my two very active new puppies replacing the two who just passed, to see if they’re good campers too.
Old 11-03-2021, 07:34 AM   #49

Move to California, don't have to winterize and you can use you rig year round.
Old 11-03-2021, 07:53 AM   #50

Yep, the OP could move to California and that would end all his worries because with gas prices about $1 per gallon higher than the national average, which are approaching an all-time high, the rig would sit in the drive most of the time.
Kia Sportage on MasterTow Dolly
Old 11-03-2021, 09:52 AM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherman12 View Post
Yep, the OP could move to California and that would end all his worries because with gas prices about $1 per gallon higher than the national average, which are approaching an all-time high, the rig would sit in the drive most of the time.
Most of our trips are local (within 150 miles). We plan long trips out of state to take advantage of the lower fuel prices. Yes fuel prices are high and I expect them to get even higher over winter. But I can be at the beach within 40 minutes, the desert or mountain lakes 1 hour.
Old 11-03-2021, 10:29 AM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by D W View Post
Who exactly is in charge of that outfit?

My kids are both grown, and my granddaughters are in college, so it's just me and the bride. If I need help I don't hesitate to call on them, and they show up.

I can't tell you what to do, but I know what I would do in your situation.
Big difference between grown up kids and preteens and teenagers. My grown kids are wonderful.
As kids...not so much.

I counted myself lucky if if they followed my rules about taking care of their 'stuff'.
Anything above that fell to me.
Old 11-03-2021, 11:00 AM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by bookooc View Post
Big difference between grown up kids and preteens and teenagers. My grown kids are wonderful.
As kids...not so much.

I counted myself lucky if if they followed my rules about taking care of their 'stuff'.
Anything above that fell to me.
What you say is illustrative of how times have changed over the generations. As a kid there was no option in our family, you followed the rules in the house OR ELSE. Then came the concept of "negotiating" with your children (Dr Spock anyone?).

As time went on kids seemed to start doing as they pleased and many parents lost control of their own households.

There are exceptions but based on what my Daughter brings home from the elementary school where she's employed as a Secretary the exceptions are far and few between.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
Old 11-03-2021, 11:50 AM   #54

Retrain your kids. Stop bringing other people. It is a family issue.
Get a smaller rig. Don't travel so far.
Contract everything until the fun quotient goes up or sell your rig.
Old 11-03-2021, 11:53 AM   #55

We do not loan ours to anyone, if it leaves home its with us only.
Old 11-03-2021, 12:13 PM   #56

After reading through this thread I am ready to call it quits too
Old 11-03-2021, 12:19 PM   #57

Yes....I'm not trading in my wife any time soon. She helps with everything in the interior, but is learning how to do everything ourside, just in case.

I think this Thread turned into a family counseling thread. lol
Old 11-03-2021, 12:56 PM   #58

We have not RV’ed with kids since the 80’s. Since 2007 it has just been the two of us, except a grandson (who is now a college senior) and he was always very helpful and did lots of things without being asked. Due to college he has not traveled with us very much lately.
We got rid of the fifth wheel as it was becoming a lot of work to prepare for travel. We are both in our mid-70’s. We purchased a new class c in March and have no regrets. It is much easier to get road ready and the hydraulic leveling system is wonderful. In addition, it is a lot more comfortable for the DW as we roll down the road. She can sit forward or in the theater seating in back. She can get to the refer and the bathroom as we roll. Another plus is that it is comfortable temperature wise when we arrive at our destination. Sometimes the fifth wheel would take a hour or more to cool off after towing all day in the summer. And we have a generator so we always have 110 volts of power if needed. We do tow a toad and it is not a big deal to connect and disconnect, and the tow is easy. This setup works well for us. We hope to continue this RV lifestyle for several more years.

2021 Jayco Class C model 27U
Old 11-03-2021, 01:08 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by 61Tele View Post
After reading through this thread I am ready to call it quits too

I agree! After reading through all this "advice", it seems this would make a great Jerry Springer episode. It's like beating a dead horse now.

2023 Flagstaff 206STSE
2019 Flagstaff HW29SC ( sold )
2017 Salem Cruise Lite 232RBXL ( sold )
2014 Ford 150 XLT 5.0 2wd
Old 11-03-2021, 01:38 PM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briorick View Post
I agree! After reading through all this "advice", it seems this would make a great Jerry Springer episode. It's like beating a dead horse now.
Not without all the things we can't discuss here that are essentials for a JS episode

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
Closed Thread