Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 10-31-2021, 02:57 PM   #1

At what point do you call it quits?

I am frustrated beyond belief. It seems that when it's time to camp, everybodys in the truck, but when it comes time to take care of the trailer, its a freaking ghost town. Here it's the end of the season and time to get the trailer winterized and covered. and I find stuff STILL in the trailer that I asked several times to be removed, like bedding, clothes, and other things. At least the food was removed, I hope.

I get the plumbing flushed out, at the expense of a bath of VERY cold water from the water heater, who knew it would hold that much pressure for that long. Hasn't been used since August! Soaked head to toe. Today I said I wanted to get the trailer winterized, including getting the cover on. I get the antifreeze in, and pull the cover out, and everybody decided they have better things to do.

On a calm day it is at least a 2 person job, and I have never covered it before, brand new cover first time out of the box and too windy for one person to handle, need at least three.

I'm fed up to the point where I am ready to say I quit and list it for sale.

To top it off, I did a go around on all the seals and what do you think I find hanging off the edge of the bunkhouse, but a pair of rusty pliers. Not mine, never used needle nose pliers on the trailer ever. I have a pretty good idea who did though, the cables were replaced last year. It damaged the top seal too. One handle was through the seal, and I can tell it slid across the rubber roofing too, hopefully its just a mark and not a gouge or scratch. I have a slide awning on it, which helped keep it dry, otherwise who knows what could be damaged by now.

If it were just this one time, I can live with it, but seems like every time SOMETHING needs to be done around here, everyone disappears.
Old 10-31-2021, 03:06 PM   #2
dotsonjc

Let them know its time

Had the same issue the first year. Everyone wanted the camper, everyone loaded up but when we got home to unload and get it cleaned out everyone disappeared. After four or five trips, when we got home and everyone disappeared I called everyone to the dining room. I then asked if everyone had a good time and wanted to keep camping. When everybody said yes, I told them I too had a good time but this was the last trip and I was putting the camper up for sale since I was the only one cleaning it out.

Haven't had to remind anyone after that day that it is a family affair to pack up and to clean it out after the trip.

Past:
2012 Coachman Freedom Express 22DSX
Old 10-31-2021, 03:10 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhrava View Post

If it were just this one time, I can live with it, but seems like every time SOMETHING needs to be done around here, everyone disappears.
Maybe it's time to hook up the trailer and just take those who pitch in along on your camping trip (even if just solo).

If it's kids that aren't pitching in, maybe leaving the non-helpers behind at a relative's while you enjoy a camping trip will send a message.

Maybe not leave them behind but nothing else happens until the trailer is "put away". No TV, No Video Games, No Eating, etc. When I was growing up and we came home from a camping trip that's how it worked. The trailer (a teardrop) was cleaned out, food and personal items removed. If anyone balked the message was a simple "the sooner this is done the sooner you get to go do what you want to.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
Old 10-31-2021, 03:42 PM   #4

@Bhrava Who's using the trailer besides you? Written like you're renting the thing out. My trailer never goes anywhere without me. And comes back with me to be put away for the next trip.

-- Chuck
Old 10-31-2021, 03:46 PM   #5
Site Team

Well, it's just the two of us.
The DW is responsible for the inside(except for technical/maintenance stuff)and I'm responsible for outside stuff and all maintenance.
We don't have anyone else to help us. So we accept that all of it is up to the two of us.
Seems like your family just expects you to do everything and they don't have to do any work, for the privilege of going camping. I'm not going to suggest how you handle that aspect.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
Old 10-31-2021, 03:50 PM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
I am frustrated beyond belief. It seems that when it's time to camp, everybodys in the truck, but when it comes time to take care of the trailer, its a freaking ghost town. Here it's the end of the season and time to get the trailer winterized and covered. and I find stuff STILL in the trailer that I asked several times to be removed, like bedding, clothes, and other things. At least the food was removed, I hope.

I get the plumbing flushed out, at the expense of a bath of VERY cold water from the water heater, who knew it would hold that much pressure for that long. Hasn't been used since August! Soaked head to toe. Today I said I wanted to get the trailer winterized, including getting the cover on. I get the antifreeze in, and pull the cover out, and everybody decided they have better things to do.

On a calm day it is at least a 2 person job, and I have never covered it before, brand new cover first time out of the box and too windy for one person to handle, need at least three.

I'm fed up to the point where I am ready to say I quit and list it for sale.

To top it off, I did a go around on all the seals and what do you think I find hanging off the edge of the bunkhouse, but a pair of rusty pliers. Not mine, never used needle nose pliers on the trailer ever. I have a pretty good idea who did though, the cables were replaced last year. It damaged the top seal too. One handle was through the seal, and I can tell it slid across the rubber roofing too, hopefully its just a mark and not a gouge or scratch. I have a slide awning on it, which helped keep it dry, otherwise who knows what could be damaged by now.

Open a faucet to relieve pressure from the water heater.

Covers are more trouble than they are worth.
Old 10-31-2021, 04:40 PM   #7
D W

Who exactly is in charge of that outfit?

My kids are both grown, and my granddaughters are in college, so it's just me and the bride. If I need help I don't hesitate to call on them, and they show up.

I can't tell you what to do, but I know what I would do in your situation.
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
Old 10-31-2021, 05:48 PM   #8

Our kids & Grandkids live 2 to 6 hours away. More than happy to have them with us. DW cleans etc. inside and I take of the outside. They are little on the help side but love to see them.

If we did not enjoy camping we wouldn't do it. I agree covers are more trouble than they are worth.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Old 10-31-2021, 06:04 PM   #9

My frustration is not just with the RV, it just peaked today because I am trying to get things done before winter and my list is huge. Seems like my wife is always finding something she needs to do elsewhere. My son is a lazy 14 YO, my daughter is the only one who actually does anything, proud of her.

I refinanced with a cash out to make repairs on the house a few months back, had some trees removed and they are all piled up in the back. A friend of a friend has come over to take as much as he can for his wood burner. Its mainly willow and pine, so no use to me with my fireplace, but he can use it, and it won't be such a huge bonfire when comes time to burn it. So today he was over and I helped load with my tractor.

I told them I wanted to get the cover on today after we were done loading, so I finished up, got the antifreeze in, and got the cover out. When I went to the house to get help, they were all gone.

I am going to convert 3 acres of my property to hay now that we are down to one horse, and I have all the fencing to remove, move a hydrant, and a bunch of posts need to be removed. I also had to move the equipment for winter storage plus put the backhoe on the tractor, so my time is limited. It just frustrates me to no end. That and I have 2 bathrooms to redo from scratch, plumbing and all, plus three other rooms to redo, and the kitchen. I personally don't want to get rid of the RV since it gives me the option to go on a trip anywhere at any time, but at 57 Years of age, arthritis making life difficult, a house needing repairs and having to prod and plead to get help, I am about at the end of the rope.
Old 10-31-2021, 06:07 PM   #10

I can handle just about everything myself (and usually do) [emoji12] except getting the cover on the roof. But I have an adult kid that will come over and help for some of mom’s cooking.
Last year was the first year with our Goldline cover and I’m really happy with it, we get a lot of snow and freeze-thaw as well as the UV deterioration on plastic parts seems worse at our altitude. (4000’)
Took the cover off this spring and didn’t even have to re-wash and wax it.
Any neighbors you could bribe with a beer?
Old 10-31-2021, 06:15 PM   #11

Quote:
My frustration is not just with the RV, it just peaked today because I am trying to get things done before winter and my list is huge. Seems like my wife is always finding something she needs to do elsewhere. My son is a lazy 14 YO, my daughter is the only one who actually does anything, proud of her.

I refinanced with a cash out to make repairs on the house a few months back, had some trees removed and they are all piled up in the back. A friend of a friend has come over to take as much as he can for his wood burner. Its mainly willow and pine, so no use to me with my fireplace, but he can use it, and it won't be such a huge bonfire when comes time to burn it. So today he was over and I helped load with my tractor.

I told them I wanted to get the cover on today after we were done loading, so I finished up, got the antifreeze in, and got the cover out. When I went to the house to get help, they were all gone.

I am going to convert 3 acres of my property to hay now that we are down to one horse, and I have all the fencing to remove, move a hydrant, and a bunch of posts need to be removed. I also had to move the equipment for winter storage plus put the backhoe on the tractor, so my time is limited. It just frustrates me to no end. That and I have 2 bathrooms to redo from scratch, plumbing and all, plus three other rooms to redo, and the kitchen. I personally don't want to get rid of the RV since it gives me the option to go on a trip anywhere at any time, but at 57 Years of age, arthritis making life difficult, a house needing repairs and having to prod and plead to get help, I am about at the end of the rope.
I wish that I had as little to do as you do but ............... I'm only 64 ... but the end result is worth it.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Old 10-31-2021, 08:09 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwritecode View Post
The easiest way to relieve pressure is with the pressure relief valve that's right there on the water heater.
Old 10-31-2021, 08:24 PM   #13

I think Dotsonsj and TitanMike had the best advice regarding the family, but to be honest sounds like it goes beyond the RV. Have that family meeting, but don't threaten to sell the RV, or anything that speaks to family behavior unless you are 100% willing to follow through.

Happiness is just a ride away!
Old 10-31-2021, 08:36 PM   #14

Are we talking wife, kids or both? i dont have kids and my wife is better than that. Good thing i never had kids cause i was rasised with a belt and a fear of god. Dont know what is going on with folks under 30ish but this world is in for some hurt. I know right from wrong and what bathroom to use. I posted late not having the time to read that much.
Old 11-01-2021, 04:02 AM   #15

It’s a management problem.
Old 11-01-2021, 04:14 AM   #16
Defender of America

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderMore View Post
It’s a management problem.
Totally agree!
Centerline TS WDH
Old 11-01-2021, 04:16 AM   #17

Just me and the wife. Setup and take down we both participate inside and out. Maintenance is all me. I don't have any problems handling maintenance solo.

Jim & Kathy
Bailey, waiting at the Rainbow Bridge
Gracie, a rescued Beagle
2007 Chevy Tahoe
2008 FR Surveyor 233T
Old 11-01-2021, 09:44 AM   #18

If you own a trailer, it is up to you to take care of it.
I get a lot of help from my girl with the kitchen and the dogs. I handle the rest.

I think your issue is you travel with too many people. If it is not fun, go back to you and your spouse. Make it simple. I had a sailboat once large enough to sleep aboard. I made the mistake of inviting too many people. They left a mess, they would get in the way and did not help much. I started only inviting people that were active sailors. I had them bring lunch or dinner. My life got better in a hurry.
Old 11-01-2021, 09:56 AM   #19
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
Well, it's just the two of us.
The DW is responsible for the inside(except for technical/maintenance stuff)and I'm responsible for outside stuff and all maintenance.
We don't have anyone else to help us. So we accept that all of it is up to the two of us.
Seems like your family just expects you to do everything and they don't have to do any work, for the privilege of going camping. I'm not going to suggest how you handle that aspect.

Thats how we roll for most of the work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwritecode View Post

Covers are more trouble than they are worth.
Then your using the wrong cover. My Classic Accessories Pema Pro is a can of corn work with and does a great job for 9 seasons now.

Zelda the campin dog
Old 11-01-2021, 10:02 AM   #20
D W

At what point do you call it quits?

As long as you have alternatives, you NEVER quit.

You know your alternatives better than us.
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
Closed Thread