Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-17-2023, 11:49 AM   #1
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2023
Location: Southern-ish NJ
Posts: 114
Attaching things to the walls

I know people use command hooks to stick things to walls, but are there studs in the walls? I have a fiberglass laminated unit. Iím not sure what itís laminated with, maybe someone has some insight? Iíd like to make more secure attachments than adhesive. Thanks for indulging a newbie!
Robsteeler66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2023, 01:20 PM   #2
Kanadian Kamper
 
kenandterry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Southern Ontario
Posts: 7,343
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robsteeler66 View Post
I know people use command hooks to stick things to walls, but are there studs in the walls? I have a fiberglass laminated unit. Iím not sure what itís laminated with, maybe someone has some insight? Iíd like to make more secure attachments than adhesive. Thanks for indulging a newbie!
Whatís the weight of what youíre trying to hang?
We just have some decorative hangingsÖÖweíre not into rock climbing 🧗
__________________

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2023, 01:39 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2023
Posts: 215
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robsteeler66 View Post
I know people use command hooks to stick things to walls, but are there studs in the walls? I have a fiberglass laminated unit. Iím not sure what itís laminated with, maybe someone has some insight? Iíd like to make more secure attachments than adhesive. Thanks for indulging a newbie!
There are studs but finding them can be a challenge, especially if aluminum.

Another poster noted difficulty using a stud finder and I can confirm.

I've seen infrared pics show them pretty clearly in wintertime and I wonder if a laser temp gun might work too.

Command strips come in varying weigh capacities and as per their directions, can be doubled up to increase it.

JMO but anytime you're drilling into the wall, there is some unknown risk of catching a wire, so you gotta really want it.
__________________
2024 Surveyor 252RBLE
2023 F150 Powerboost 7.2KW 4x4 1658PL with a WeighSafe WDH
DJ252 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2023, 01:21 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2023
Location: Southern-ish NJ
Posts: 114
There were a few things weíve talked about. One of them was possibly doing a tv mount like this one: https://www.etsy.com/listing/1141129614/

This might be down the road a bit, not right away.
Robsteeler66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2023, 02:53 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2021
Posts: 1,604
Our trailer walls are basically thin luan covered with plasticized paper for appearance. For pictures and other lightweight items, I use a #6 Panhead sheet metal screw, about 1/2" to 3/4" max length. I find it is NOT necessary to drill the wall when using sheet metal screws. If one wants a starter hole, use a pointed awl.

As to hanging a TV on any of our walls, I wouldn't do it. There is one area designated as a TV wall, whatever that means. I still don't think it is sufficient to reliably mount a TV.

As to the 3M Command hooks, I find they eventually fail due to heat and the fact the surface is not flat.

Bob
Bob K4TAX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2023, 03:03 PM   #6
Part-Time Campground Host
 
cboss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: Upstate NY
Posts: 3,027
I've been using this for the past 7 years. Never had any fail and have been able to remove it with no damage to the "wall paper" (use a little heat).
However it is not strong enough to hold a TV mount, but I did mount my Dish Receiver behind the TV with it!
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	61MUM1xaPrL._AC_SL1000_.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	56.2 KB
ID:	292974  
__________________
Craig & Cath
2018 2902WS Rockwood Ultra Lite (with tons of Mods)
2022 F250 Lariat Super Cab, 7.3 gas w/10 Spd Xmsn
Equalizer Hitch w/4-Point Sway Control

Days camped since 2015(retirement): 1513
cboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2023, 06:41 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
momraising5boyz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Posts: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob K4TAX View Post
As to hanging a TV on any of our walls, I wouldn't do it. There is one area designated as a TV wall, whatever that means. I still don't think it is sufficient to reliably mount a TV.

As to the 3M Command hooks, I find they eventually fail due to heat and the fact the surface is not flat.

Bob
We purchased a wall mount made for RVs that has a latch that holds it in place while moving and a small TV for the bedroom. Hubby mounted on wall where factory had a decal that said something like TV here. Been there 3 years with no problems.

I use the 3M hooks. The only ones that let go were the ones I put up and hung stuff on minutes later. I have learned if I use Isopropyl Alcohol to clean the wall and hook, allow to dry completely, apply the 3M adhesive to the hook and press to the wall. Allow to set 24 hours. Here in NC we go from below freezing to 100+ temps with little humidity to right at 100% humidity and my hooks hold. Like someone else said just make sure the hook you use is rated for the weight.
momraising5boyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2023, 07:24 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2023
Location: Southern-ish NJ
Posts: 114
Thanks. We bought some adhesive strips already. The tv inside is no problem, I know where to mount that. I was asking if anyone had any experience with the outside wall tv mounts like in the link I posted.
Robsteeler66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2023, 09:57 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
momraising5boyz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Posts: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robsteeler66 View Post
Thanks. We bought some adhesive strips already. The tv inside is no problem, I know where to mount that. I was asking if anyone had any experience with the outside wall tv mounts like in the link I posted.
Our TT already had the outdoor mount when we purchased it.
momraising5boyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2023, 03:51 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2023
Location: Southern-ish NJ
Posts: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by momraising5boyz View Post
Our TT already had the outdoor mount when we purchased it.


We love our TT but there are a couple of things missing that we wish it would have had, including an LP quick connect. I would have liked an outdoor kitchen of some sort, but no. It does have the coax connection and the plug for a tv, but no mount. It always seems you make some compromises no matter what.
Robsteeler66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2023, 05:26 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
momraising5boyz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Posts: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robsteeler66 View Post
We love our TT but there are a couple of things missing that we wish it would have had, including an LP quick connect. I would have liked an outdoor kitchen of some sort, but no. It does have the coax connection and the plug for a tv, but no mount. It always seems you make some compromises no matter what.
I know what you mean. Ours was the early 2019 so no good steps, no drop down counter (had a big clunky thing with a peg leg you had to lift onto clips and no where to store), plastic sinks in the bathroom and kitchen, no water mizer and a smaller underbelly storage because they hadn't started the drop down frame yet. I just couldn't see paying a little over 8k to have those things. Pretty much have all those things except of course the bigger storage and don't have half that much in all of it.
momraising5boyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2023, 08:31 AM   #12
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 640
As to your question about studs. Yes, they are there. Mine are aluminum. Yours could be aluminum or wood. Look for the brochure for yours online to find out how it was built. To locate the studs outside, go out early in the morning when the dew is out and look at the side of the rig, and the studs should stand out. (The narrow dry spots.)
Good luck.
__________________
Dale & Karen
2015 Lacrosse 311RLS
2006 F-250 The 06-6.0
Dwilcox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2023, 08:36 AM   #13
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2023
Posts: 215
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwilcox View Post
As to your question about studs. Yes, they are there. Mine are aluminum. Yours could be aluminum or wood. Look for the brochure for yours online to find out how it was built. To locate the studs outside, go out early in the morning when the dew is out and look at the side of the rig, and the studs should stand out. (The narrow dry spots.)
Good luck.
Good tip! Thanks.
__________________
2024 Surveyor 252RBLE
2023 F150 Powerboost 7.2KW 4x4 1658PL with a WeighSafe WDH
DJ252 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2023, 08:04 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2023
Location: Southern-ish NJ
Posts: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwilcox View Post
As to your question about studs. Yes, they are there. Mine are aluminum. Yours could be aluminum or wood. Look for the brochure for yours online to find out how it was built. To locate the studs outside, go out early in the morning when the dew is out and look at the side of the rig, and the studs should stand out. (The narrow dry spots.)
Good luck.


Iíll check for that. I have the app which has owners manuals, but it isnít specific. Itís also hard to find information about my model since itís a new floor plan. Every time I search 22 eras, I get information about Taylor Swiftís tour.
Robsteeler66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2023, 09:09 AM   #15
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 640
Well you can always send an e-mail to the customer service contact asking for more information. I have had pretty good luck with that, usually 2 to 3 days for a reply.
__________________
Dale & Karen
2015 Lacrosse 311RLS
2006 F-250 The 06-6.0
Dwilcox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2023, 05:18 PM   #16
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2023
Location: Southern-ish NJ
Posts: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwilcox View Post
Well you can always send an e-mail to the customer service contact asking for more information. I have had pretty good luck with that, usually 2 to 3 days for a reply.


I sent an email before we even picked up our RV 3 weeks ago. I still havenít heard anything back. 🤷🏽*♂️
Robsteeler66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2023, 03:32 PM   #17
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2023
Posts: 3
While I'm not a Forest River owner, yet, I have a Flagstaff 26FKBS on order. I plan to mount on the walls on occasion, and I expect my Walabot sensor will find the aluminum studs in the laminated walls.
IndyRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2023, 03:40 PM   #18
Site Team
 
RedLdr1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: North Georgia
Posts: 2,699
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyRick View Post
While I'm not a Forest River owner, yet, I have a Flagstaff 26FKBS on order. I plan to mount on the walls on occasion, and I expect my Walabot sensor will find the aluminum studs in the laminated walls.
Welcome to the forum. I had to "Google" Walabot to see what you are talking about. It looks pretty good from the descriptions. Is it as good as the web claims?
__________________
Wayne
2024 Coachmen Northern Spirit 1943RB
2021 F-150 4X2 SuperCrew Lariat 502A, 3.5L Powerboost Hybrid, 3.55 gears, Tow Technology Package, 1,840# Cargo, 7,000# Tow, 7.2KW Pro Power, A.R.E Z2 Topper

It is better to have too much truck than to have too much trailer.
RedLdr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2023, 03:48 PM   #19
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2023
Location: Southern-ish NJ
Posts: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedLdr1 View Post
Welcome to the forum. I had to "Google" Walabot to see what you are talking about. It looks pretty good from the descriptions. Is it as good as the web claims?


This! please let us know how it does. I might need to try oneÖ
Robsteeler66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2023, 03:59 PM   #20
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2023
Posts: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedLdr1 View Post
Welcome to the forum. I had to "Google" Walabot to see what you are talking about. It looks pretty good from the descriptions. Is it as good as the web claims?
It's nearly X-ray vision into wallboard. Not just studs, either. It shows pipes & wiring. That's why I have high hopes for the aluminum studs.
IndyRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Forest River, Inc. or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:05 AM.