Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-16-2017, 05:43 PM   #1

Awning over slide

I've noticed quite a bit of awnings over the slides and thought about adding one often, although I've never had any issues, I was wondering why not for extra protection from rain and debris...is it necessary? has anyone had issues for not adding one?
Old 07-16-2017, 06:29 PM   #2

Mine came with one...it was an option and I won't swear it was factory. You will prolly get 60-70% for and 30-40% against/neutral.

I personally don't want to be without...many threads about for or against.
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 06:31 PM   #3
"On the road again"

We added them at purchase. We had them on our previous fifth wheel. Love them.

Robert & Estha Shiflet
Georgetown XL 378TS
Jeep Gladiator Willys Tow Vehicle
rjshiflet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 07:03 PM   #4

Yes we liked them on one camper we had. Great idea. Until they started wearing out in years, got droopy, frayed, I had to shore them up with pvc pipe to keep the rain from pooling and flowing back towards the camper. More trouble than their worth in my view, and to replace them in 3 years at 200 or so a pop, is a bit much. I might actually be building a temp frame to sit on top of the slides and held down by bungee cords. Haven't gotten around to it yet on this new one. But the bungee would hook right under the slide out, and should stay just fine.
Mdaniels4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 06:12 AM   #5

The first time you camp under a shedding pine tree or try to sleep in the rain then you will wish you had them. If you install yourself make sure to position the grooved rain that's mounted on the exterior wall up as high as possible so as to have an angled slope away from the camper, preventing water from ponding on the slideout topper material. A protective metal wrap is also recommended.

He who dies with the most tools, wins!
SilhouettePenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 06:23 AM   #6
"On the road again"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdaniels4 View Post
Yes we liked them on one camper we had. Great idea. Until they started wearing out in years, got droopy, frayed, I had to shore them up with pvc pipe to keep the rain from pooling and flowing back towards the camper. More trouble than their worth in my view, and to replace them in 3 years at 200 or so a pop, is a bit much. I might actually be building a temp frame to sit on top of the slides and held down by bungee cords. Haven't gotten around to it yet on this new one. But the bungee would hook right under the slide out, and should stay just fine.
We had slide covers on our Columbus that we camped actively in for 5 1/2 years (plus kept it here at home with the slide/covers out 95% of the time) and they never sagged...never frayed...never had to be shored up. I guess there are varying degrees of quality and you get what you pay for.

Robert & Estha Shiflet
Georgetown XL 378TS
Jeep Gladiator Willys Tow Vehicle
rjshiflet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 06:32 AM   #7
(Dry Huunday)

Since we love to camp in wooded areas this was one of the first mods I did. If you are fairly handy and have a helper(at least one) this is a pretty easy mod. Just take your time.

Beau & Sue
FurKid Express
2015 Coachmen Catalina 303RLS
2016 Chevy Silverado LT 2500HD Duramax
The more people I meet, the more I like my dogs!
DreiHunde is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awning, slide