Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-07-2019, 01:24 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnD10 View Post
Note by site team: The following posts have been moved to their own thread so as to not further hijack the thread they were originally posted in

I find it absolutely amazing how many can't seem to back up a trailer by themselves.

I've been doing it since I was eight years old...

I'm 58 1/2 now...never once hit a thing!

Of course, now I'm all worried about my neighbors at the storage lot!

I've tucked it in this tight spot twice since I moved here all by my lonesome...
I park next to house on carport side. Try to keep it at 4" to 6". Sorry about pic but can't seem to rotate it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1661.JPG
Views:	257
Size:	113.0 KB
ID:	194149  
'15 (6) : '16 (32) : '17 (41) : '18 (35) : '19 (38) : '20 (15) : '21 (15) :
Sebourn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 01:44 PM   #22

backing into a tight spot

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnD10 View Post
Note by site team: The following posts have been moved to their own thread so as to not further hijack the thread they were originally posted in

I find it absolutely amazing how many can't seem to back up a trailer by themselves.

I've been doing it since I was eight years old...

I'm 58 1/2 now...never once hit a thing!

Of course, now I'm all worried about my neighbors at the storage lot!

I've tucked it in this tight spot twice since I moved here all by my lonesome...
Like so many things in life, 'the first ten thousand times are the hardest, after that no problem'. :-)
RVPP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 02:45 PM   #23

The only good thing the Army taught me was backing a tractor and trailer. They took a bunch of us to an open field with lots of pine trees and let us practice backing up and maneuvering a heavy, steel coal trailer. The instructors took off for coffee and came back about an hour later. Wasn't much bark left on most of the trees, but we had a good time and learned a lot about backing.
gfarmcafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 03:17 PM   #24

Backing in to tight spots (pics)

If you are not very good backing a camper then try this. When you start to back up place your hand at the bottom of the steering wheel. Do not try to back up by putting your hand at the top of the steering wheel, wait until you get good at backing in before that. Just remember to place your hand at the bottom of the steering wheel. Try that and see if it doesn’t make a difference.
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 03:28 PM   #25
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by spock123 View Post
If you are not very good backing a camper then try this. When you start to back up place your hand at the bottom of the steering wheel. Do not try to back up by putting your hand at the top of the steering wheel, wait until you get good at backing in before that. Just remember to place your hand at the bottom of the steering wheel. Try that and see if it doesn’t make a difference.
This is how I was told and still do this quite often.

Old 01-07-2019, 08:01 PM   #26

John D - you're just a bada$$

We are not worthy!!!!

Tightest spot I had to back into was when I was 20 years old (about 38 years ago), I worked for Pepsi and I was responsible for setting up booths for the Pepsi Challenge. Our booth was a small, probably 10 or 12 foot trailer, single axle.

I had to back the trailer up on the sidewalk, and then back it around the corner of a building.. Staying on the side walk. Pretty proud of the fact I did it pretty quickly... at least that's how I remember it, and there's probably no one left alive that can dispute my recollection of the facts.

Mike
Old 01-07-2019, 08:19 PM   #27
D W

This discussion reminds me of the ol' Red Simpson song....

"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 08:33 PM   #28
Now a "Top Member"

My wife used to cringe and nearly pass out when I backed into my driveway. It doesn't look bad, but when you have a narrow road, and 5' deep drainage ditches, along with a 22' truck and 30' worth of 5th wheel, it becomes quite a challenge. I have since widened the driveway (and actually park on the other side of my property, also with a widened driveway). But it was fun...NOT!

Name:	DSCN0507 (Medium).jpeg
Views:	285
Size:	279.8 KB
ID:	194182
Retired AF MSgt

I thought I was wrong once, but I was wrong!
EdJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 08:47 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdJunior View Post
My wife used to cringe and nearly pass out when I backed into my driveway. It doesn't look bad, but when you have a narrow road, and 5' deep drainage ditches, along with a 22' truck and 30' worth of 5th wheel, it becomes quite a challenge. I have since widened the driveway (and actually park on the other side of my property, also with a widened driveway). But it was fun...NOT!

Attachment 194182
Why wife has come so far as a spotter. At first she had anxiety like crazy but now she is great at it. We have only done this a little over a year but we have it down now like pros. At least we tell our self's that. Lol.
robbiels7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 09:37 PM   #30

Sometimes it takes a little work to make it fit

First time out camping with my new 5th wheel and new truck I turned to sharp backing up and smashed the back window. With my bumper pull I could back it anywhere just can't get the hang of the 5th wheel pivot point.
Attached Images

DaveandRosecamping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 10:11 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveandRosecamping View Post
First time out camping with my new 5th wheel and new truck I turned to sharp backing up and smashed the back window. With my bumper pull I could back it anywhere just can't get the hang of the 5th wheel pivot point.
Keep at it. It will come after a few trips. Hug the side tight that your backing in and it will leave more space. The center point of the wheels is the focus point. As you learned watch the contact point.
robbiels7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 10:21 PM   #32

Everyone has a first time..

https://youtu.be/g5vcJcvVAKU
DonD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 12:03 AM   #33

If you want to see some “pro” backup artists just show up early at a place where all the girls bring their trailers to a barrel race. A lot of those horse trailers exceed 40 feet and I’ve watched teenagers back them into spots that look like they would be difficult to get out of.
Old 01-08-2019, 12:20 AM   #34
Novice Travel Trailer Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebourn View Post
I park next to house on carport side. Try to keep it at 4" to 6". Sorry about pic but can't seem to rotate it.
WOW NICE!

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BRDS Travel Trailer
2018 Chevrolet Silverado 2500 LTZ
benchmarks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 01:47 AM   #35

Pulling into Barn for Storage

Storing our Crusader over winter in our barn is a tight squeeze. Have about 3 inches at each end and have to remove the spare from the rear bumper to fit.

Have to fold in truck mirrors to fit through rear door and clear left side.

Barn has a 12 foot overhead door in front and a 9 foot wide slider in the back. This allows pulling the fifth wheel into the barn and backing it out. Truck exits out the back. Screwed down a block on the floor at the front tire so we know where to stop each year.

Shoulda built a bigger barn!!!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	CamperinBarn_Jun 15 2012_1285.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	267.5 KB
ID:	194191   Click image for larger version

Name:	CamperinBarn_Jun 15 2012_1287.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	246.1 KB
ID:	194192   Click image for larger version

Name:	CamperinBarn_Jun 15 2012_1290.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	248.4 KB
ID:	194193  

Ford F150 5.4L B&W Companion Hitch
updated to Andersen Aluminum Ultimate Hitch 2017
drelec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 09:12 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdJunior View Post

Attachment 194182
wow your doing good blind side backing , cant you back in from the other direction?
bareftn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 09:26 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveandRosecamping View Post
do you know where your pivot point is, its at the center of your tires
best to take some cones and set up a place at the mall and practice
bareftn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 09:56 AM   #38

Backing a trailer

While hosting a campground in Michigan and taking campers to their site, we always positioned them where their site was on their left side. The key to learning to back is to take your time and pull forward when needed to minimize the angle. Yes, we had some that wouldn't listen and tried to back it in on their first try. Some were good, some ended in frustration, but we wouldn't let them hit anything. At times, I did it for them, against my better judgement, but campers were piling up behind them wanting to get to their site. Most were grateful.

Of course, neighboring campers had to get out and watch and critique, which didn't help much.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20170714_170353.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	469.9 KB
ID:	194206  
gfarmcafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 07:07 PM   #39
Now a "Top Member"

Quote:
Originally Posted by bareftn View Post
wow your doing good blind side backing , cant you back in from the other direction?
I can't on that driveway. The neighbor's mailbox is in the way. I actually use my other driveway now (had a nice rock pad put in down the side of the house when I had that driveway widened). But I had gotten pretty good doing the blind side backing. Enough so that when I started using my other driveway, it was actually harder! It still takes me at least two times usually before I hit the driveway just right. That skinny road is a pain!
Retired AF MSgt

Old 01-08-2019, 07:12 PM   #40
Now a "Top Member"

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbiels7 View Post
Why wife has come so far as a spotter. At first she had anxiety like crazy but now she is great at it. We have only done this a little over a year but we have it down now like pros. At least we tell our self's that. Lol.
My wife does a pretty fair job. But her main job, at least when parking at home, is to start yelling and screaming if it looks like I'm going to go off the driveway. I do not want to have to have someone come and pick up my camper out of that ditch. So if it looks like I'm even coming close, she will start screaming. And I listen.
Retired AF MSgt