Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-26-2019, 07:49 PM   #41
Gold Tee Box

Name:   Sorry.JPG
Views: 300
Size:  22.2 KB

On Etsy

Teetime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2019, 08:08 PM   #42

If I can't see my guide I stop. I won't move until I can see them in them in one of the mirrors. Always know where everyone is when backing up.
28qb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2019, 11:24 PM   #43

No matter how you do it - whether backing or forwarding, parking or positioning a toad - never put yourself where the moving vehicle could hit you. Always stand to the side.
Old 12-27-2019, 12:36 AM   #44

Best wishes for a quick and complete recovery! Some reasons the poor victim's eyelid is sewn shut are there may be lacerations to the cornea, or possibly to keep the eyeball from swelling out of the socket.

Leftseat and I always maintain eye contact in the side mirror. If I need to move where he can't see me, he stops and doesn't start until he can see me again. We've developed our system because I always worry about how things can go wrong, so I have to make a plan to avoid it or I can't relax.

I also direct him in loading the race cars into the trailer, and there's only about an inch of leeway there and with a touchy clutch to boot.

Boat docking is another place where we plan out communication, but voice-activated radios with headsets are the key there. We can't hear each other over the motors.
Rightseat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2019, 08:53 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by CincyGus View Post
Can't imagine how horrible it must be to have a camping trip turn into this situation. Prayers for a full and speedy recovery.

My wife is a wonderful lady who has absolutely no skill at assisting anyone in backing a trailer. I'm not sure if it's a lack of desire, a lack of depth perception or a lack of communication timing but we all have our flaws and I love her anyway because she also overlooks mine ;-) That said, it leaves me solo in backing the rig which is not a problem (knock on wood) or hasn't been for about 25 years of pulling trailers.

Here are the steps I use as a solo backer:

GOAL- Get Out And Look- Before I back anywhere, I scan the area I'm backing to for hazards such as low limbs, signs, campsite markers, electric pedestals, etc. I know what I need to watch for in the mirrors and what is going to disappear and be behind me as I straighten out and back into the parking spot.

I back slowly- read as crawling back once an obstacle disappears from my mirrors. If I am in doubt about where any of the hazards are in relationship to my rig or truck, I put it in park and GOAL again to rescan where I'm at.

This method is used by the biggest Air Express company in the world to reduce backing accidents to new drivers and drivers that have had a backing accident. If you get into a situation that your too close to something, they suggest you get a "marshaller" to watch for you. In my case, I'd have to go get a fellow camper as my lovely wife's previously described marshalling skills resemble a grandmother fighting a swarm of hornets and do nothing but make me stop and laugh which gets me in trouble with her when she comes to find out why I am no longer backing.

Hope this helps someone and again, thoughts and prayers with your SIL and BIL as they both heal from this unfortunate event.
This! If you think you need info from an assistant to proceed you actually need to get out and look yourself. Sometimes multiple times.

My wife's only task is to tell me where she wants the trailer parked then stay in my sight and make sure no pedestrians or pets enter my blind spot.
2007 Thor Cub 165 hybrid
Husky round bar hitch
2006 Honda Shadow and 13ft canoe in the truck bed
TKPINSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2019, 09:20 AM   #46

We tried the use of our cell with speaker on, terrible! I'm with EdJunior on this one. We are short of two years in rving(have a Wolfpup TT) and me and the "director" are getting this concept down, not perfect but better each time. I think the best thing as EdJunior stated is to get out and check yourself, talk it over and proceed. Take your time and if you have an audience, no worries, just wave and smile, haha.
Hope your wife's sister is doing better, happy holidays to all!
gilly13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2019, 09:28 AM   #47

Before we even thinking of going into a site we get out and look the site over, decide where we want to park and the best way to do it. I can always see my spotter when I'm moving. If she has to move she will first signal me to stop. She also knows that if she can not see my mirror I can not see her. If you don't see your spotter you do not move. I think the best thing is planning ahead before you even start to go into a site.
ken64k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2019, 10:31 AM   #48
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rightseat View Post
Boat docking is another place where we plan out communication, but voice-activated radios with headsets are the key there. We can't hear each other over the motors.
Voice-activated radios?
Old 12-27-2019, 12:59 PM   #49

Wow! I am very sorry to hear of your sister-in-law situation.
Best wishes for a speedy recovery.

As most of you stated, my wife and I get out before backing into or pulling thru a site to inspect both above and around area.
We always pick a spot to put TT, then she directs the process while I drive.
I never move unless she is in site of mirrors when backing or windows forward.
If neither is happening all systems stop, I get out of truck, we make eye contact and communicate, then we continue.

We have never used walkie talkies or cell phones, only hand signals.
My wife points in the direction the trailer must go by full arm extension and stop with both arms raised and crossed.

Best practice is ALWAYS stand off to one side, even if communicating by an electronic device. If new to RVing, I hope most will learn basics of backing.

Stay Safe, Happy Camping.
Enjoy the New Year 2020
KEN9XL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2019, 02:31 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rightseat View Post
Boat docking is another place where we plan out communication...
My grandchildren know how fast to go while docking - no faster than you’re willing to hit the dock.
JWood422 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2019, 03:39 PM   #51

Same here. Worked outside with all kinds of equipment and spotters for 40 years.

Same simple rules always apply.

1. If your on the ground, Stay out of the way.

2. Windows open, radio off.

3. If you don't know, don't go. In other words, if you loose visual contact with your spotter ---- STOP. No maybes.

I have CDO. It's like OCD only in alphabetical order as it should be.
MF5270 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 06:17 PM   #52

Drove semi's for twenty years before going to the Sheriff's Academy. I use to do a lot of city delivery with a semi. One daily stop was to a JC Penneys on a town square. I had to back into the alley behind it to unload their catalog orders. The alley was wide enough that I had a foot clearance on both sides of the trailer and cab mirrors. Almost always got it on my 1st try. I love backing, crazy as that might seam. I use to have people come out of the stores to watch me.
Many lesson learned there still serves well:
For RV's get out and walk where you're backing, never know what kind of hidden surprises might be there. Start out by going well past of where you're backing into, stop at the angle you're going to back with your steers in the correct direction. SLOW !!!!!!! For towed vehicles........everybody out of the cab including the family pet, radio off, windows down, head out the window if needed......no shame in it.........dogs like to have their head out the window..........they might know something we don't?
REMEMBER..............MIRRORS LIE...........if in doubt.....get out and walk around the trailer again.
A partner with a radio is fine as long as they only give understandable, concise directions. STOP means STOP, right means right, left means left and "you've got it" means you're done. For visuals a closed fist in the air means stop or "you've got it"
If after 2 or 3 trys you don't get it...........it's time for a break.............settle down and try again.
There is nothing wrong with having your partner to have on either a safety vest or bright color shirt etc. If you don't see your partner, it's time to stop and ask where they're at.
RET.LEO is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
safety