Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-04-2020, 02:40 PM   #1

Backup Camera

Okay folks!! I have used my backup camera (bought on Amazon) for 8 trips and I have added longer antennas to both the camera and the monitor trying to get a constant signal. My RV is 37' and I have a HD2500. At speeds above 55-60 mph the monitor blacks out for long periods of time. And frequently when driving the monitor blacks out. I have mounted the camera antenna in front of the rear A/C unit and mounted the 12" long monitor antenna in the rear window of my crew cab. The folks I got the camera from have been very helpful and I appreciate that. I am to the point I'm frustrated to no end by this. The manufacturer says that the distance between the transmitt and receive antennas may be too far, but I have moved the RV antenna forward about 8" and the monitor antenna to the back of the cab.
What camera system do you have that WORKS???? Does it work "all" the time?
Anyone else experience the same problems and found a solution??
My RV was prewired for a camera, so I used that system.
Aaron2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 02:50 PM   #2

An alternate possible issue. Does your camera record to a micro SD chip? I had a blackout issue with my setup. Turned out my chip was too "slow" and was causing the issue. I got a faster (more expensive) chip and it has since run flawlessly.
FWIW, the issue happened the most when the chip was full and the camera was trying to erase the oldest recorded segment. It actually caused the whole system to lock up.
S.E. Mich. Flagstaff 26FKWS / 2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost SCrew Propride
SailorSam20500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 02:59 PM   #3

Thanks SailorSam for the thought. I do not have a chip.
Old 12-04-2020, 03:10 PM   #4

wifi distance

It is the distance between your antennas. My wifi experience
Boscorelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 03:33 PM   #5

The original ad said it worked up to 55", I just checked the Amazon website and it now says 60". By moving the RV antenna forward 8 ft and mounting the monitor antenna in the rear of my crewcab, I should have a distance less than 42'.
Has anyone moved the monitor antenna to the outside of the vehicle? The original antennas were short, about 3.5" length load antennas. The extended range versions are about 12".
Old 12-04-2020, 10:42 PM   #6

I’ve got a 44’ 5er with a crew cab truck. I used the extended antenna for the monitor and stick it (magnet mount) on the very back of the truck cab roof. Works well

I got this and am very pleased

AMTIFO FHD 1080P RV Wireless Backup Camera with 7'' Touch Key DVR Monitor High-Speed Rear Observation System for Trailers,5th Wheels,Motorhomes,Campers Split Screen Stable Signal-A8 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07HC1KBT8...ing=UTF8&psc=1
Curt Q20

zs325RES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 01:35 AM   #7

Haloview RD7. RD stands for range dominator. The camera has a cable that runs along roof and the antenna mounts at the front of my TT, my unit is 30 feet and I had plenty of cable left over. Reception is great never a problem at highway speed. Install is easy with adapter that plugged into furrion shark fin in the back and 3M straps to secure the cable on the roof.
Old 12-05-2020, 08:18 AM   #8

Zeroxclub digital wireless backup camera (W01-7 inch) installed on back of 28' fiberglass sided fifth wheel. I bought it because I tow a small trailer with my Polaris RZR and wanted to be able to watch it while driving. I don't know if there is any truth to it but some say a metal sided trailer causes interference. I have taken two trips since installing for a total of 800 miles and have not experienced any blackouts or other problems. I think I paid $159 at amazon and the company gave me a choice of several gifts. I chose a suction cup windshield mount. The company responds by email within 24 hrs. The 7 inch monitor is nice and it is just like looking in a rear view mirror. It used to make me nervous not being able to see directly behind my camper.
comfun1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 08:59 AM   #9

zs325RES, thanks for the inputs! Your unit looks almost exactly like mine, but I guess they all would be similar. But the camera is exaclty the same and the monitor has different buttons. Did you keep the short antenna on the camera? Did you do something with the monitor antenna to keep it from scratching your paint, and is it about 12" long? Did you run the wiring for the monitor antenna in thru the door jam? Thanks
Old 12-05-2020, 09:05 AM   #10

Csbadvisor, thanks for the input! I got a longer cable with the "extended " antenna, but it's only about 10'. I went to Best Buy looking for an extension for the cable wire and they total me there's none available!!! I wanted to run the antenna forward of the front a/c unit in hopes of boosting the signal. ANYONE KNOW OF A SOURCE FOR AN EXTENDED ANTENNA WIRE???
Old 12-05-2020, 09:10 AM   #11

comfun1, thanks for your inputs....My buddy has that unit, but he's down with Covid so I haven't had a chance to ask about it. You are correct, metal, especially metal in sheet form, interfers with a transmission signal. The a/c unit metal parts will also absorb some of the transmission, that's why I moved the antenna in front of the rear a/c. The frequency of the transmission also is a factor in how well the signal carries. Glad you have something that works.
Old 12-05-2020, 10:00 AM   #12

camera

I have a Voyager WVOS541 from RV Cams: Backup Camera Systems (All) on my 40' CC.

Needed to keep an eye on the "Little Creeker" out back.

I also had blackouts with antenna mounted on camera.

I added 8' antenna extension which helped a little but still not acceptable.

Talked to the guy at rvcams and wound up purchasing a 30' extension cable.

Antenna cable is attached to ac units and vents and to the roof with stick on pads with tie straps.

Now the antenna is mounted on the front cap.

Since doing this I have not had a camera blackout.

C.B.
cbvp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 10:20 AM   #13

cbvp, thanks for the information!! That sounds like an excellent solution, I'll see if I can find that extension wire. Appreciate the help!
Old 12-05-2020, 10:09 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron2018 View Post
zs325RES, thanks for the inputs! Your unit looks almost exactly like mine, but I guess they all would be similar. But the camera is exaclty the same and the monitor has different buttons. Did you keep the short antenna on the camera? Did you do something with the monitor antenna to keep it from scratching your paint, and is it about 12" long? Did you run the wiring for the monitor antenna in thru the door jam? Thanks
I didn’t change the camera antenna. The monitor antenna is about 15’ long and I tucked the wire behind the truck interior headliner and trim. It was just long enough so I could sneak the wire out the sliding rear window and place the antenna right in front if the cargo lamp at the back of the cab roof. No worries about scratching the paint. Works great
zs325RES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 10:38 PM   #15

I have a Furrion VisionS that’s about 40’ from the monitor. I had issues with the screen blacking out until I correctly paired them. Had to have the camera attached to the monitor power cable and then remembered to press a button on the monitor to accept the Bluetooth handshake. Once that was done, no more issues with the setup.
reeston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 10:38 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron2018 View Post
Csbadvisor, thanks for the input! I got a longer cable with the "extended " antenna, but it's only about 10'. I went to Best Buy looking for an extension for the cable wire and they total me there's none available!!! I wanted to run the antenna forward of the front a/c unit in hopes of boosting the signal. ANYONE KNOW OF A SOURCE FOR AN EXTENDED ANTENNA WIRE???
Maybe you can jump on Haloview website and see if you can buy the cable. Not sure if the fittings are standard but worth checking out.
Old 12-05-2020, 10:55 PM   #17

I have had 4 cameras.

I tried just a wireless extension on a wired camera. It worked fine in the driveway but not moving.

The furrion worked flawlessly but small screen and when water got in the camera I thought $500 was pricey to replace every 2 years. They don't sell just a camera, you have to buy the whole thing.

I had a cheap trailer camera off Amazon and used it for 2 long trips. It was the same experience you had. I did try changing antennas on mine to high gain and it went completely dark.

I got a haloview. Better image better color and larger monitor. I considered the extension cable but have not needed it. If it starts to fall behind I reposition the antenna and it works great. For the price I would buy another.

My trailer is 30ft and the antenna is below the roof. I was going to get the extension for the haloview but have not needed it. 2 years on the haloview and no issues.

What sailorsam said on the SD card is true as well. Had several wireless cameras that had these issues as well.

I did find turning off the truck wifi made things a little better but did not resolve all our issues for what it's worth. Also changing the resolution to lower helps as well if you can.
dbledan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 08:41 AM   #18

Thanks everyone!! Seems the backup cameras are a universal pain! I think I found an extension antenna wire on Amazon; anyway I ordered it. At $8.99 it's not a big loss if it doesn't work.By the way, the connector is an SMA type if anyone wants to try the extension. Thanks All! May have to go to Haloview if mods don't work.
Old 12-06-2020, 08:43 AM   #19

dbledan, where did you position the antennas? I found that mounting the monitor around my rearview mirror did not work. Don't know if it's too close to electronics or if the roof blocked too much of the signal.
Old 12-07-2020, 08:22 PM   #20

SD Chip Blackout ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailorSam20500 View Post
An alternate possible issue. Does your camera record to a micro SD chip? I had a blackout issue with my setup. Turned out my chip was too "slow" and was causing the issue. I got a faster (more expensive) chip and it has since run flawlessly.
FWIW, the issue happened the most when the chip was full and the camera was trying to erase the oldest recorded segment. It actually caused the whole system to lock up.

I don't want to high jack thread but can SailorSam tell what kind of Back-Up Camera you have? I have the Haloview RD7 with side cameras and experience Intermittent Black Screen on my monitor.

I send a email to Haloview describing my problem but have not heard back. I thought I installed a SD Card that met there specs. May have to try removing card next spring and see how it runs.

Tags
camera