RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 11-24-2020, 07:01 AM   #1

Bad Day Night Shades

I have a 2020 Rockwood UltraLite 2604 SW. I’ve had three United Shade shades break the string and a fourth about to break. Appears that the strings are rubbing the plastic parts and shredding during travel. My trailer is still under warranty, less than a year old and only on its second trip. I’m hesitant to replace them with the exact same day/night shade as I would expect them to fail quickly also. I am thinking of replacing them with reasonably priced roller shades with a quality roller mechanism. Have to replace eight shades so pricing is important. Our son has a Grand Design 5th wheel with pull down shades that work well. Also any tips on preventing the current shades from failing ? Any help is appreciated. Thanks!
dogbarczar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 09:36 AM   #2

Welcome to the forum its a great place to get your questions answered. I doubt that the strings are breaking from travel with that said if they are adjusted to tight the wear when opening or closing will break the strings. I have found them to be a good system when adjust properly.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 09:43 AM   #3
Just Tryin' to Help

I replaced all of ours with these or something similar:

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Redi-Shade-...-in/1000694402

I got tired of the strings breaking also and it is difficult to restring the day/night shades. We have been happy with the new ones. They come in many sizes.

Equalizer Hitch w/ 4-Point Sway Control

Days camped since 2016(retirement): 920
cboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 09:55 AM   #4

We had "String Shades" in our V-Lite for 10 years and Many Criss Cross trips across the USA,only needed occasional string tension adjustment,Never broke strings! Our replacement unit has "MCD Shades" two years of use and Travel NO Issues!The unit has the optional roller shades and we installed the roller shades throughout the rest of the TT! They are all "MCD Roller Shades"! Youroo!!
Old 11-24-2020, 10:06 AM   #5

At least once a year I adjust tension on our day/night shades strings that need it. If they are falling, they are too loose.
Ours are 9 years old and just had the first string break this week when Liz was using the vacuum to clean them
She ordered a restringing kit for $17 that includes 300' of string. I think we will be good for awhile!
Reese Fifth Airborne air ride king pin coupler with Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 10:21 AM   #6
Georgia Rally Coordinator

I had the string shades in two of my V-Lites and only had one that failed. Could never get the stringing kit to work so had to order a new shade. When I bought my new camper I ordered them with the roller shades so much nicer. Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing. Traded 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 02:14 PM   #7

It is a never ending restringing project. I gave up and purchased shades from a retail store for regular windows. Tell the store clerk it is for an RV and they will show you how to hold them in place when moving. Don't call Irvine Shade. They are shady.
Big bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 02:52 PM   #8
wjo

Our last 5er used similar to Lows (Home depot) worked well will do to new TT when time to replace.
wjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 03:14 PM   #9

My Cardinal had day/ night shades. I purchased a kit Off the web that included a spoil of string, the little things the string runs throughSo the metal doesn't cut the string, and the plastic anchors the string attaches to the wall. 2 biggest things are 1) being too tight and 2) burrs on those little plastic guides. I constantly was re-stringing something. I have a different style shade now. Replace them now while you have the chance or you will become very good at re-stringing in no time at all. There are good instructions on the web.
Philandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 04:28 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philandterry View Post
My Cardinal had day/ night shades. I purchased a kit Off the web that included a spoil of string, the little things the string runs throughSo the metal doesn't cut the string, and the plastic anchors the string attaches to the wall. 2 biggest things are 1) being too tight and 2) burrs on those little plastic guides. I constantly was re-stringing something. I have a different style shade now. Replace them now while you have the chance or you will become very good at re-stringing in no time at all. There are good instructions on the web.
X2. I used that kit also. Found re=stringing time consuming, and I always seemed to need to re-string another shade. Based on the comments here, they are either great or awful. I wonder if FR uses different manufacturers based on wholesale price and availability, and some of us got the good ones, and some the bad. I finally gave up and actually replaced a couple with venetian blinds, including the one on the big picture window in the rear. That lasted two trips due to the movement and shaking of the trailer. I finally gave up with that one and replaced it with drapes. My Cardinal is someone else's problem now and my new 5er has day/night shades which seem to be much better. 2 years and no problems.
Now:2018 Arctic Fox 27-5L
2008 Ford F-250 Long Bed Diesel
Total of 30 Months on the Road Since 2008
DrLewie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 05:05 PM   #11

You need to check the plastic ‘bobbins’ that attach to the wall below the blind. They have a tendency to have rough burrs on them that can rub on the strings. Using two hands to push them up and pull down also definitely helps.
Maybe the blinds would travel better if pushed all the way up? Might not bounce around so much when travelling.
dnicoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 05:16 PM   #12

You can buy the string in a?spool fairly inexpensively. It was available in a?couple different sizes. There are YouTube videos of the process. When I did mine, there were a few spots where the lines cross an exit/enter the next section that were roughly ''hogged out'' . I smoothed those spots with a dremel to get rid of the sharp edges. Hope the end plugs come out easily. I think mine must have been glued in and were a real 'B' to get out. Since that string kinda recirculates, look for sharp edges on the holes. Good luck!
jeff64 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 05:18 PM   #13

We had the same trouble with the string shades. Went to both Home Depot and Menard's and got the top down/bottom up cordless blinds. The Menard's blinds just happened to fit our long windows, but, they didn't have the shorter blinds at the time. Later, when the large string shade went in the living room, I ordered that from Home Depot because I could get the shorter length. The only thing I had to do in installation for the blinds was to shim the clip holders about 3/8" to clear the window frame edges. When the other string shades started going in the bedroom and living room, I ordered the blackout custom shade for the bedroom and regular custom shades for the other living room window. The blackout shade was the most expensive, but, all the shades have been great and worked great. Interesting, when I called the company for an extra pull down clip, they had my orders from both Home Depot and Menard's. It was the same company making the blinds! All in all, they have worked perfectly and I wouldn't ever get those string things again. I have some left over if someone wants them (free - just come and get them!). Installation was easy, but, I took my time doing it. I did have to adjust some of the valence fasteners because of the original installation, but, it wasn't much of a problem, either. The main thing was the need for custom blinds in the shorter windows, but, it was still worth the extra cost to have them. They work much better than a string replacement.
ProfChuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 05:19 PM   #14

There are several on line videos showing how to restring. Some will say to buy this or that string. The best is stranded 100 lb test braided fishing line. Never break it again.
Retired JSO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 05:27 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
At least once a year I adjust tension on our day/night shades strings that need it. If they are falling, they are too loose.
Ours are 9 years old and just had the first string break this week when Liz was using the vacuum to clean them
She ordered a restringing kit for $17 that includes 300' of string. I think we will be good for awhile!
We do the same. Infact I just restrung one on the dining table this past weekend while camping. Took about 30-45 minutes is all.
Old 11-24-2020, 09:04 PM   #16

Our trailer also has the same shades. Shortly after we bought it we noticed the string was quickly wearing a notch in the plastic end caps on the bottom end of the shade. We bought a package of small eyelets use in sewing projects from Hobby Lobby. The package was in the order of $.99. They fit snugly in the plastic ends of the bottom assembly. Installation was quick and easy as mentioned by simply unscrewing the bottom retainers of the string and running them through the eyelets in the ends of the plastic assembly. The eyelets have a polished and rounded inner surface that does no damage to the string. Our trailer is now 6 years and the strings look great.
Quilter3446 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 10:51 AM   #17

Quote:

sORRY fOR tHE iNTERRUPTION.

How do you adjust your shades?
campers302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 02:05 PM   #18

Untie them from the plastic anchor at the bottom (ours are screwed into the wall) and tie them tighter. Sometimes the plastic anchor gets loose, but I think I have put nylon screw inserts in all of them now to fix that problem.
Reese Fifth Airborne air ride king pin coupler with Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 02:39 PM   #19

Quote:
Untie them from the plastic anchor at the bottom (ours are screwed into the wall) and tie them tighter. Sometimes the plastic anchor gets loose, but I think I have put nylon screw inserts in all of them now to fix that problem.

Thats what I thought. Ours were put on by a fifth grader with a power drill.'
They were put on so tight they were pulling out of the wall. I repositioned the tie down and adjusted the strings and all is good.

Just another example of the owner having to fix the fifth graders mistakes.

Thanks for the reply.
campers302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 07:33 PM   #20

Those shades will always be a problem. We switched to MCD on a previous RV. ShadePro makes a cheaper version which we had installed on our current RV.
rvfriendly is offline   Reply With Quote