Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-17-2014, 07:51 AM   #1

Basic first timer questions, short overnighter

OK So I am slowly stocking up the trailer and making sure systems function, we have a 2013 Avenger 191lt. Questions I have are about pre-overnight prep. So if I am going to do a one night trip, I am heading out to cook a bbq fundraiser for Wounded Warriors next weekend, what is the prep for the fridge?

My refrigerator has the Auto setting where it runs on battery or propane. The day before I go do I leave it plugged in to the house and turn on the fridge, stock it up and leave it on Auto as I am driving out to the event? Yes the system charges while I am driving through the hitch hookup.

So then I get there, I turn on the propane and get the water heater going yes?

Just wanting to make sure the basics are covered for how to roll. I am sure there are more questions I will have but for now, simple pre-trip checklist and setup are what I am concerned about. Thanks gang.
NorthernVandal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 08:01 AM   #2

I am only starting my 2nd year as a camper so take this for what it is worth. I turn on the propane before I leave and turn the fridge to auto so that it runs on propane while I am driving. Once I get to the campground and plug in the trailer, it will switch over to shore power.

As for the water heater, I turn it on after I get to the campground, hook up the water and make sure that the water heater has water in it.
Old 04-17-2014, 08:10 AM   #3

I am also new to this but, according to the dealer when we did our walk through, the propane is used while in route (I do not have the battery option). The fridge uses very, very little propane. I know from using a pop up camper with a 3 way fridge it will suck power from the battery very rapidly. I tried it once and it drain the battery in an hour or 2. I disconnected the battery option on it. I've had the fridge on the new camper plugged in to shore power (15 amp) for a few days and it is not getting very cold. I will see how it does on propane this weekend.

I would wait until you get to your destination to start the water heater. That way if it happens to develop a leak or anything else you won't know until you reach the destination a ruin the water heater.
Old 04-17-2014, 08:10 AM   #4

Silly question about the water heater, to make sure it has water in it, you simply fill your tanks and open the pressure relief valve on the heater until water flows out while filling right?
Old 04-17-2014, 08:12 AM   #5

Or turn on the hot water spigot until all the air has purged.
simplyrwc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 08:12 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernVandal View Post
Silly question about the water heater, to make sure it has water in it, you simply fill your tanks and open the pressure relief valve on the heater until water flows out while filling right?
You can also fill the FW tank, open the hot water valves on the faucets until the air is done gurgling, close them and then start the water heater.
Old 04-17-2014, 08:13 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Looking up your model, since it's not a pop-up, it most likely only has a 2-way fridge (i.e. 110v or propane). If you can give us the model number of your fridge we can validate that.

So, if it is in fact only a 2 way, you'll want to turn the propane on before you leave. Otherwise when you disconnect the power the fridge will try to switch to propane, not be able to get any, and then shut down. If you're not comfortable with propane on then you could also just leave the fridge off. It's not going to lose that much temperature as long as it remains closed.

Propane on vs. off while driving is a hotly debated topic and really comes down to what your comfortable with.
Old 04-17-2014, 08:15 AM   #8

Kaadk, it is a two way. The trailer is not a pop up. I have no problem running the propane en route, if that is what the norm is. I am not going far, I was just not sure of what the basics were for traveling and keeping the fridge on. First time TT owner here, so they are pretty basic questions, I appreciate the help.
Old 04-17-2014, 08:37 AM   #9
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlong View Post
You can also fill the FW tank, open the hot water valves on the faucets until the air is done gurgling, close them and then start the water heater.
Warning Note: This can cause you a lot of grief if you forget to open the bypass valves. Cold water will bypass the water heater as it burps air out of the lines.

IMO, using the pressure relief valve is much safer; tests the valve; and provides positive proof the tank actually has water in it.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 08:44 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herk7769 View Post
Warning Note: This can cause you a lot of grief if you forget to open the bypass valves. Cold water will bypass the water heater as it burps air out of the lines.
Good point. I was assuming the TT was de-winterized and the bypass valve was already switched. Once I switch the bypass valve I intend to leave it open for the season.
Old 04-17-2014, 08:45 AM   #11
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplyrwc View Post
Or turn on the hot water spigot until all the air has purged.
Don't do this.

Its possible that your wh heater is still bypassed which gives you a false sense of the tank being full when in fact its empty!

When wh is by passed you'll still get water out of the hot tap.

Sorry lou beat me.

TURBS

Sabre owners united!
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 09:15 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1100turbo View Post
Don't do this.

Its possible that your wh heater is still bypassed which gives you a false sense of the tank being full when in fact its empty!

When wh is by passed you'll still get water out of the hot tap.

Sorry lou beat me.

TURBS

Sabre owners united!

Sorry didn't mean to pass on bad info but glad it was corrected!

My trailer doesn't have a bypass, unless I am more ignorant than I thought?
simplyrwc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 11:12 AM   #13

We don't turn on our water heater until about 30 minutes before we require hot water and we turn it off when we are done using hot water. We don't leave it on all of the time.
whj77372 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 08:51 PM   #14

OK another stupid question. Where would a bypass valve be? I flushed the system last weekend and sanitized it, did not know about bypass.
Old 04-17-2014, 09:15 PM   #15

Mine has 3 ball type valves on the inside of the trailer. I have to open an access panel to get to it.

Also before you use your propane fridge/hwh, make sure you run the stove to get the air out of the lines. Otherwise you'll have to reset everything.
Old 04-17-2014, 10:41 PM   #16
Site Team - Lou

How they plumbed your water heater is model dependent. They all should have bypass valves or when you winterize you will use an additional 6 to 10 gallons of RV anti-freeze to fill the HW heater.

There is a one valve type that uses a "T" type valve and a check valve in the hot water out port in the water heater, and a 3 valve system that uses no check valves. There have been reports of a 2 valve setup with a check valve but I do not have a photo of that type.

ALWAYS make sure the AC power switch is OFF (shown with a safety pin through it) before draining the water heater. Not all water heaters have an AC power option.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_4092.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	49.9 KB
ID:	50108   Click image for larger version

Name:	bypass.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	48.5 KB
ID:	50109   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rocker Switch.jpg
Views:	111