Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-01-2018, 11:38 PM   #21

I have measured the amps on our 2504s. Keep in mind that i am running 3 group 31 “marine” batteries. When first turned on, I hit about 32 amps, then in a matter of about 3 minuets I was down to about 15 amps which is 5 amps per battery. Maybe my batteries weren’t down enough to charge a lot. Later this year I will test again when we boondock. I also measured the voltage at the converter. When turned on it went to 13.6 volts (measured with 2 different multi meters) and stayed there. At the batteries it jumped to 12.8 and slowly climbed up. I added extra wire to the converter to be the equivalent of #4 gauge cable. This helped the battery voltage climb faster when measured at the batteries. I have only hit the “bulk mode in our converter once, wish I had measured the amps then. IMHO a separate battery charger would be a little faster if it were big enough. I have a snap on 30 amp charge 200 boost that would go faster because it lets the voltage go higher. Has anyone that has used a separate battery charger measured the amps? Jay
Jay2504 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 01:53 AM   #22

I use this charger:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have a single 75 amp hour Marine/RV battery and the charger puts out 9 amps on the 10 amp setting when the battery is below 85% SOC. Above that, it tapers off the charging rate. Since that is a C/10 charging rate for my single battery it works just fine. The only downside is that it is a completely manual charger, so it can overcharge if not monitored.

Disclaimer: The actual value of my "Two Cents" of advice varies just like a bitcoin.
Bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, charging, generator, trailer